Bike Locks

FatBob

Pedelecer
Apr 15, 2020
Greater Manchester
What bike locks do you use away from home?

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
One that is a visual deterrent when compared to other bikes nearby, i.e. a big U-lock in my case (an old Kryptonite). If I was to buy another one I'd probably go for a Kryptonite New York - bright, and reasonable security for the price (£65-70).

But as the answers below will no doubt say - no lock is immune to opening by brute force or other means.

helentdavies

Pedelecer
May 17, 2021
I bought a Litelok Wearable. Ive not actually used it yet, but its not actually that light! I haven't had the courage to leave my bike anywhere yet. Ive stopped for the obligatory coffee and cake but always had my bike near me. Cant let it out of my sight at the moment. Ive got a Kryptonite New York at home and a Kryptonite Faghettabouditt Lock which goes around both bikes and my Vespa in the garage!!!! The last lock (can't spell it again) is soooo heavy would never take it out with me.

FatBob

Pedelecer
Apr 15, 2020
Greater Manchester
But as the answers below will no doubt say - no lock is immune to opening by brute force or other means.
Oh I appreciate that and understand given enough time/tools/motivation/lack of deterrent any device is fair game to thieves. I'm trying to decide between heavy chain (e.g. ABUS City Chain X Plus 1060) or foldable design (e.g. ABUS Bordo 6405) in addition to a SS Gold D-lock I already have as the lock combo for my bike at work.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You have to balance the three main characteristics, which are weight, convenience and security against the risk of your bike getting nicked.

If you park your bike regularly in the same place, probably no lock will save you.

If you park it at the gym or cinema, where people know you're going to be away for at least an hour, you're at risk to people sitting in cars with serious tools waiting for an opportunity, or opportunists that have a chance to go and get such tools while you're tied up.

When you park at a coffee shop, pub, supermarket or similar, it's unlikely that any thief will be prepared, but you would need protection against the thieves with side-cutters, hacksaws and other small tools.

Whatever lock you use, it has to be one that locks your bike to something immoveable. Locking two bikes together is also good, like when you're out with a friend and stop at a pub or cafe.

Always park your bike where it can be seen from a lot of angles, especially in a busy place.

In summary, you don't need to take a 3kg lock with you when you go out for a ride. All you need is something, which will protect you against the pick up and runs, and the snip the cable and ride off type attacks. Assuming you don't stop at known cycling hotspots.

I don't like D-locks because it's very difficult to find something to lock your bike to using one. A medium chain or roller lock is much more convenient.

I use a roller lock, which is not too heavy, easy to carry and secure enough for casual attacks. It's vulnerable to large bolt croppers, but you'd need ones 3 ft long, which are very heavy and not the sort of thing that someone could carry around. I don't leave my bike for long periods of time, though I have occasionally left it outside pubs in not the best areas while having meals and things like that - always right out in the open where it can be seen from the establishment's windows, even though I couldn't see it myself.

Poolepete

Pedelecer
Aug 14, 2018
Poole
I installed AXA Defender ring locks to our bikes, complete with the accompanying plug in chains. They are ultra convenient to use and Sold Secure Silver rated. When leaving for a longer time, I double lock the bikes with Kryptonite Gold rated D locks. On E bikes I don't worry about the extra weight of carrying extra locks around.

carlo772

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 19, 2021
I did a lot of research on locks and how bikes get stolen on youtube after my bike got taken from the train station. A camera was pointed right at the bike so i thought that would make it super safe and it was 3 feet from the station entrance. I left it overnight. Big mistake but BT police caught the guy that stole my bike as it was on camera, went to court but he didn't pay back my bike cost so got an extra month in prison just for my bike.

On youtube i enjoyed seeing the bike thieves getting nicked by the cops with bait bikes and tracked down with GPS trackers. Shocking how easy it is to open locks. There is an independent UK security test called solid secure which has bronze, silver, gold, diamond levels.

The main ways they break your lock:

1) Cheapest Cable lock 10 UK pounds - cable sniper that fits in pocket. Only takes 2 seconds so never buy a cable lock.
2) Cheaper Silver level U-lock 30 UK pounds - Bolt cutters 3 to 5 seconds as its softer metal. Bolt cutter are big but thieves do carry them in a bag.
3) Expensive Gold level U-lock 70 UK pounds. Angle grinder which is battery operated. takes about 15 to 30 seconds and makes sparks like a construction worker.

So never leave you bike overnight at station or outside the cinema. Always park where your bike can be seen easily by the public. But even so people surprisingly ignore the thieves with angle grinders and mostly walk past. You can see this happen on youtube with thieves using angle grinders stealing bikes.

After all the research i settled on a folding lock with gold rating. Better than a U lock as its compact.

It will stop bolt cutters and it fits well on the bike. Nothing will stop an angle grinder only slow it down.

I plan to get a GPS tracker. Dont get the cheap red tail light one thats on amazon, its too obvious and thieves just throw it away. You can get a smaller than a matchbox size one that fits under the seat or in the handlebar grip for about 45 UK pounds and works with a GSM sim card.

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
I did a lot of research on locks and how bikes get stolen on youtube after my bike got taken from the train station. A camera was pointed right at the bike so i thought that would make it super safe and it was 3 feet from the station entrance. I left it overnight. Big mistake but BT police caught the guy that stole my bike as it was on camera, went to court but he didn't pay back my bike cost so got an extra month in prison just for my bike.

On youtube i enjoyed seeing the bike thieves getting nicked by the cops with bait bikes and tracked down with GPS trackers. Shocking how easy it is to open locks. There is an independent UK security test called solid secure which has bronze, silver, gold, diamond levels.

The main ways they break your lock:

1) Cheapest Cable lock 10 UK pounds - cable sniper that fits in pocket. Only takes 2 seconds so never buy a cable lock.
2) Cheaper Silver level U-lock 30 UK pounds - Bolt cutters 3 to 5 seconds as its softer metal. Bolt cutter are big but thieves do carry them in a bag.
3) Expensive Gold level U-lock 70 UK pounds. Angle grinder which is battery operated. takes about 15 to 30 seconds and makes sparks like a construction worker.

So never leave you bike overnight at station or outside the cinema. Always park where your bike can be seen easily by the public. But even so people surprisingly ignore the thieves with angle grinders and mostly walk past. You can see this happen on youtube with thieves using angle grinders stealing bikes.

After all the research i settled on a folding lock with gold rating. Better than a U lock as its compact.

It will stop bolt cutters and it fits well on the bike. Nothing will stop an angle grinder only slow it down.

I plan to get a GPS tracker. Dont get the cheap red tail light one thats on amazon, its too obvious and thieves just throw it away. You can get a smaller than a matchbox size one that fits under the seat or in the handlebar grip for about 45 UK pounds and works with a GSM sim card.
It is actually "Sold Secure" not solid secure!
TBH some of their testing methods are a joke and do not relate to the real world.
The three levels of standard relate more to a marketing ploy than effectiveness. People are easily pulled in by the so called Gold standard which sometimes gives a false sense of security.

Locks for bicycles will always be a trade off, carry able weight in respect effectiveness.
Personally I never leave the bike unattended. For my motorbikes I use these locks https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/reviews/products/security/motorcycle-chains-and-locks/tested-pragmasis-22mm-chain-and-roundlock-review not cheap but effective.
Factor in the cost of the £8 - 12K motorcycle and its a very small costing.

GPS trackers are waste of time on a bicycle. Nowhere really to hide and easily removed with the most basic of tools. Reliant on the owner perpetually recharging, usually by USB.
And the big one!
What are you going to do, when you find the scumbags house where your pride and joy is hidden.
When I had a motorcycle stolen from my house, the police did not even come out and visit....... they gave me a crime number over the phone. Good luck getting them to visit a house on the info provided by a mickey mouse amazon GPS tracker............. It just wont happen.

Just my views from experience. Other opinions are available.

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
Locks for bicycles will always be a trade off, carry able weight in respect effectiveness.
Personally I never leave the bike unattended. For my motorbikes I use these locks https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/reviews/products/security/motorcycle-chains-and-locks/tested-pragmasis-22mm-chain-and-roundlock-review not cheap but effective.
> Weight: 20.17kg
Your motorbike lock weighs more then my eBike. ;)

But as you correctly say, there's not a lot you can do even if you do track them down. Instead, go for a bright obvious lock, place it in a busy area, and you'll dissuade casual theft. As for professional theft - it's just down to a bit of bad luck. Maybe try and disguise your bike, but even then a pro thief will recognose a valuable bike from the frame and componentry.

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
> Weight: 20.17kg
Your motorbike lock weighs more then my eBike. ;)

But as you correctly say, there's not a lot you can do even if you do track them down. Instead, go for a bright obvious lock, place it in a busy area, and you'll dissuade casual theft. As for professional theft - it's just down to a bit of bad luck. Maybe try and disguise your bike, but even then a pro thief will recognose a valuable bike from the frame and componentry.
Yep the chain and lock combo is a monster, and truly a deterrent!
I learnt the hard way, my pretty much brand new Triumph Street Triple was a targeted theft. Stolen from my driveway whilst I went indoors to unlock the garage doors. Towed away by two scrotes on a moped!
My latest bike is ground anchored to the floor by the Pragmasis lock.

Not really relative to E-Bike security I know, more of a warning that if you are targeted with your new shiny toy.... If they want it, they will get it

Reactions: richtea99