Bike Maintenance

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
I get through two sets a year on average.

I am really surprised, on my first e-bike, where I was off road probably 90+% of the time, other than a very occasional re-lube and clean (x3 maybe), and not overly heavy torqued up, I had that one headset that came with the bike for over 6 years. I sold the bike with the same headset.....
My latest bike was delivered with the wrong top bearing, but once I had the correct one and installed it, over a year ago, no problems.
Heavy usage must be down to something, for instance (but I do not consider this list in any way complete):-
1) Poor quality parts
2) Forks with maybe a slight "bend" between the bearings, that really "works the bearings very hard
3) Very hard, high speed, rough riding.
4a) Heavy frame, battery, person, and a bearing that is in some manner "not strong enough" for the total weight.
4b) No front suspension, all the shocks hit the bearings combined with 4a)
5) Wrong lubricant
6) Dirty environment is somehow entering the headset bearings, possibly up the middle of the tube (guessing only, never actually ever seen it).
7) Over tight torquing. I make "contact" slowly using the middle bolt, and then maybe up to a 1/8 turn or less more, just going by "feel".

Both my e-bikes have front suspension, and I know from my hands, that this makes a big difference on a ride. They also both have sprung rear suspension. I need that as I have suffered from back problems all my life, operations on my spine, and suspension has helped dramatically.
As far as I remember, on my first bike I covered a total of around 18,000 Kms.. With no real problems except for a single controller failure.
Have you yourself found out why you need new headsets so often?
It has certainly piqued my curiosity!
Maybe others here also need them as often as you!! Hopefully they will chime in as well....
regards and apologies for being so nosy
Andy

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I am really surprised, on my first e-bike, where I was off road probably 90+% of the time, other than a very occasional re-lube and clean (x3 maybe), and not overly heavy torqued up, I had that one headset that came with the bike for over 6 years. I sold the bike with the same headset.....
My latest bike was delivered with the wrong top bearing, but once I had the correct one and installed it, over a year ago, no problems.
Heavy usage must be down to something, for instance (but I do not consider this list in any way complete):-
1) Poor quality parts
2) Forks with maybe a slight "bend" between the bearings, that really "works the bearings very hard
3) Very hard, high speed, rough riding.
4a) Heavy frame, battery, person, and a bearing that is in some manner "not strong enough" for the total weight.
4b) No front suspension, all the shocks hit the bearings combined with 4a)
5) Wrong lubricant
6) Dirty environment is somehow entering the headset bearings, possibly up the middle of the tube (guessing only, never actually ever seen it).
7) Over tight torquing. I make "contact" slowly using the middle bolt, and then maybe up to a 1/8 turn or less more, just going by "feel".

Both my e-bikes have front suspension, and I know from my hands, that this makes a big difference on a ride. They also both have sprung rear suspension. I need that as I have suffered from back problems all my life, operations on my spine, and suspension has helped dramatically.
As far as I remember, on my first bike I covered a total of around 18,000 Kms.. With no real problems except for a single controller failure.
Have you yourself found out why you need new headsets so often?
It has certainly piqued my curiosity!
Maybe others here also need them as often as you!! Hopefully they will chime in as well....
regards and apologies for being so nosy
Andy
Hi Andy, sadly the answer in my case is quite simple to answer.

I ride in very abrasive acidic conditions, and everyone that I know who ride mtb's/eMTB's all get through a couple of sets a year. I also used to get through a couple of suspension bush kits a year, and at least one fork rebuild a year. I eat jokey wheel bearings to the extent that they just fall apart, and brake pads and chains last no time at all either. I probably get through a set of brake pads once a month during the winter months, but that is more my fault, as I don't like sintered pads, and run softer organic pads instead.
Interestingly though, I never have any of the issues that others have with their drive units and bearing failure. The only conclusion that I have drawn from it, is that I don't ever wash or clean the motor, and just have a layer of crud around the bearing area, which I suspect might be acting as some form of protective barrier. Failing that, I might just be lucky. :)

Here is an example of my local riding conditions.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I am surprised that the fork and the headset are 'dead'.
The fork is Suntour NEX HLO 63mm. It's basic but robust and don't need any maintenance. It could be that the quick lock is stuck for some reason.
The headset is standard semi-sealed ballbearings and don't need much looking after even if the bike is rained on for a month.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Hi Andy, sadly the answer in my case is quite simple to answer.

I ride in very abrasive acidic conditions, and everyone that I know who ride mtb's/eMTB's all get through a couple of sets a year. I also used to get through a couple of suspension bush kits a year, and at least one fork rebuild a year. I eat jokey wheel bearings to the extent that they just fall apart, and brake pads and chains last no time at all either. I probably get through a set of brake pads once a month during the winter months, but that is more my fault, as I don't like sintered pads, and run softer organic pads instead.
Interestingly though, I never have any of the issues that others have with their drive units and bearing failure. The only conclusion that I have drawn from it, is that I don't ever wash or clean the motor, and just have a layer of crud around the bearing area, which I suspect might be acting as some form of protective barrier. Failing that, I might just be lucky. :)

Here is an example of my local riding conditions.
Many thanks for your interesting reply. I never even considered an acidic environment!!
regards
Andy

Reactions: EddiePJ

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I get through two sets a year on average.

Not surprised as I and some of the forum know the conditions you ride in.

For the normal road or light trail user headset bearings should have a relatively easy life.

• Agree
Reactions: EddiePJ

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019
The OP mentions a commute not off-road & the Carrera Crossfuse is a hybrid. What maintenance should he have done other than oiling the chain & moving parts?

Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
he should keep the drive system clean but there is no real need to oil the chain. I don't understand why he said the the headset and suspension fork are dead, and I sell a fair number of bikes to deliveroos.

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
I don't understand why the bike shop are saying the motor is faulty when they wont have touched it (bosch) and he says it was ok when he took it in.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Distance selling not the best way to buy a bike but then again as we know there are some very good vendors who are worth dealing with.
For warranty an obligatory free check up may be necessary after several weeks use and if not carried out may void said warranty or companies abililty to deal with the buyer fairly.