Bike not working on cold mornings.

Clavicle

Pedelecer
May 25, 2020
Hello folks.
I have a Carrera Crossfire E-bike. Had it three months.

Having an issue here. My bike doesn't work on cold mornings, totally dead. I keep the battery in the house at all times. The bike itself is kept in a shed outside.

The screen turns on, there is never an issue with that. But when I try riding, it's like trying to pedal a lead weight.

Is this common with E-Bikes? The problem is that if my bike does this, then I am instantly late for work. Where i live it's quicker to cycle than use public transport. So I need some sort of reliability, or way of dealing with this problem.

Any ideas? Anyone else have a similar problem?

Thanks.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Very limited info. How old is your bike and which version is it?

That's not a normal ebike problem. The Carrera Crossfire seems to have more than its share of issues. Know issues that could cause that are the motor connector not in properly. It can get kicked and dislodged. Some people use cable ties to hold it together and out of the way. next, it could be the contacts behind the LCD if you have the Mk1 version. take the LCD odd, clean all the pins and contact surfaces. Make sure all the pins are springing. Possible, but less likely is a dirty torque sensor. Take it off the back of the chainwheel and clean out the slots where the sensors are.

You can eliminate the torque sensor as being a cause by disconnecting it and bridging the red to the yellow wire. If the motor spins up (full speed) the rest of the bike is OK. If nothing happens, the problem is elsewhere.

Clavicle

Pedelecer
May 25, 2020
Very limited info. How old is your bike and which version is it?

That's not a normal ebike problem. The Carrera Crossfire seems to have more than its share of issues. Know issues that could cause that are the motor connector not in properly. It can get kicked and dislodged. Some people use cable ties to hold it together and out of the way. next, it could be the contacts behind the LCD if you have the Mk1 version. take the LCD odd, clean all the pins and contact surfaces. Make sure all the pins are springing. Possible, but less likely is a dirty torque sensor. Take it off the back of the chainwheel and clean out the slots where the sensors are.

You can eliminate the torque sensor as being a cause by disconnecting it and bridging the red to the yellow wire. If the motor spins up (full speed) the rest of the bike is OK. If nothing happens, the problem is elsewhere.

It's three months old, like I said. Definitely something to do with the cold. I'll need to get it checked somewhere.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
It's three months old, like I said. Definitely something to do with the cold. I'll need to get it checked somewhere.
Maybe the pre-start heating coils aren't getting fully up to temperature. Ask them to check them when you take it in.

Clavicle

Pedelecer
May 25, 2020
Maybe the pre-start heating coils aren't getting fully up to temperature. Ask them to check them when you take it in.

Yeah, funny. I'll do that.... :rolleyes:

But yeah, common denominator seems to be on cold mornings the bike's essentially useless. But a few hours into the day once it warms up, bike works fine. Odd.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Get a better bike.

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
Whilst you might not like what's being said @Clavicle the fact is....those bikes have a terrible reputation for reliability. Just search this forum if you doubt it.

Assuming you bought it new from a recognised retailer then you need to go back to them and, make it their problem, ASAP.

The more you "tinker" with it yourself the more likely you'll invalidate your warranty...

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
Whilst you might not like what's being said @Clavicle the fact is....those bikes have a terrible reputation for reliability. Just search this forum if you doubt it.

Assuming you bought it new from a recognised retailer then you need to go back to them and, make it their problem, ASAP.

The more you "tinker" with it yourself the more likely you'll invalidate your warranty...
Agree. Take it back to the retailer and state it is not fit for purpose!
As above the product is plagued with well documented problems.
There are lot of e-bikes out there for the same money, get a refund and buy better!

Clavicle

Pedelecer
May 25, 2020

Its not a case of "liking" it or not, im fairly indifferent. I don't care enough about the bike to be upset that someone doesn't like the bike or think it's any good. I was more annoyed by the unhelpful nature of the guy I was replying to. Saying "get a new bike" is neither helpful or insightful.

I haven't actually touched the bike, but like you say, it will have to go back.

Clavicle

Pedelecer
May 25, 2020
Agree. Take it back to the retailer and state it is not fit for purpose!
As above the product is plagued with well documented problems.
There are lot of e-bikes out there for the same money, get a refund and buy better!
I think this is what I'll do. I was weirdly willing to forgive it, if cold temps affected all ebikes. But it seems that is not the case. Back to the shop it goes.

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
I think this is what I'll do. I was weirdly willing to forgive it, if cold temps affected all ebikes. But it seems that is not the case. Back to the shop it goes.
Just to give some reassurance- other ebikes are much better so don't let that lemon put you off!

Once you've got your refund, come back on here for a recommendation to replace it. There's a lot of (much better) ebikes available at that price point...

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Both insightful AND helpful.
But wholly truthful, the only option you have if you want to keep it is to rip out the crappy electronics and fit a KT electronics kit for £100. Then at least the bike will reliably work.
If you don't like the answers ingnore them or find another forum.