Bike of the future.

Condor

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 14, 2014
Hi ,Pedelecers, I was directed to the pedelec website while asking a question about ebikes on Google.It very quickly occured to me that this is the transport of the future!I myself am retired and the bike that I choose will be purely used for leisure.The bike will be ridden on roads with fairly few hills.After perusing through most of the forums, I have come to the conclusion that a rear-hub motor ,bike ,with a 36v 16ah battery,should suit my needs.I hope to purchase a bike early in the New Year.The Question now is: Which bike.Then all we need is a good summer for cycling.

Reactions: TinKitten

JamesW

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2014
Someone will ask sooner or later.
1) budget
2) fitness level
3) height and weight
4) aspired distance
5) how much effort are you expecting to contribute
6) will you be using this off road at all?

Only when we have this info as well as your age and intended use can people start sensibly recommending bikes!

JamesW

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2014
I suppose it would also be sensible to ask if you were looking for a fully assembled bike or if you would feel confident going the conversion kit route.

James

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Welcome condor

You just can't beat trying as many as possible. One 36v rear hub can be very very different to another

Where do you live roughly?

Only other comment would be 16ah is a big old battery. Fine if you really need. The range but possibly just needless expense/weight if not. You might consider a 10ah and a nicer bike on the same budget

Kirstin

Condor

Dec 14, 2014
1) budget
2) fitness level
3) height and weight
4) aspired distance

Only when we have this info as well as your age and intended use can people start sensibly recommending bikes!
1) budget
2) fitness level
3) height and weight
4) aspired distance

1) budget
2) fitness level
3) height and weight
4) aspired distance

1) budget
2) fitness level
3) height and weight
4) aspired distance

1) budget
2) fitness level
3) height and weight
4) aspired distance

Condor

Dec 14, 2014
Thanks for your reply JamesW.My budget is£2000;height 5ft-8 ins and weight is 11.5 stone.I am fairly fit for a 74 yr old and have cycled for most of my life but now I would like a motor to take the strain!Distance is my main priority,as I like to be out all day in the summer.Condor.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Comfort is important for all day riding.
Have you looked at twinkles electic trikes?
Search the site?
They have recumbent comfort, stability for slow uphill.
You could also convert your own( or ebay bargin)

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Condor,your budget and requirements are so open that almost any e-bike will do the job. Where are you located,you really do need to go and try some bikes to focus more closely on what suits.
A 10 Ah battery is good for about 35 miles, a 16ah battery 48 miles,but it is a big lump to carry around when you don't need it and expensive to replace when it wears out.
If you only use the battery for the hilly bits you can get a big range out of 10 Ah,as a cyclist what must also be important is what is the bike like to ride with the power off,some e-bikes can be awful unassisted.
KudosDave

C

Cyclezee

Hi Condor,

Welcome to the forum.

The distance you want to cover is unknown to me, as is the terrain where you ride, but whatever they may be and whatever bike you choose, I would suggest to opt for the largest capacity battery that you can afford.

From my experience, both personal and in this business, when someone has an electric bike they will venture further and tackle steeper hills that they wouldn't have on a human only powered bike.

This morning we delivered a new eZee bike to a customer who has already owned an electric bike for quite a while, but wanted to go much further so not only did he opt for a large capacity 21Ah battery, he went even further with an additional 14Ah in a dual battery setup to give a total capacity of 35Ah and massive range.

Of course if you just want to pop to the local shops, ride around town or commute a few miles each day our standard 11Ah battery is quite adequate.

Last edited by a moderator:

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Hi ,Pedelecers, I was directed to the pedelec website while asking a question about ebikes on Google.It very quickly occured to me that this is the transport of the future!I myself am retired and the bike that I choose will be purely used for leisure.The bike will be ridden on roads with fairly few hills.After perusing through most of the forums, I have come to the conclusion that a rear-hub motor ,bike ,with a 36v 16ah battery,should suit my needs.I hope to purchase a bike early in the New Year.The Question now is: Which bike.Then all we need is a good summer for cycling.
You may find 16ah doesn't quite cut it for a day ride.

With that in mind, I would suggest a bike which you can get with a large battery and a smaller spare.

Something like 15ah and 10ah.

This would give you capacity options which you can select for how far you intend to go.

I think Cyclezee is your man.

Good, sturdy bikes with all the battery options you need.

A Cyclezee bike with a smaller battery will cost about £1,100, plus another £500 for a spare, so the job will come in on budget.

He may have a cheaper way of putting the package together.

Kudos and Woosh are two other recommendable bikes, but their spare batteries tend to be the same size.

You could end up with 2X10ah from Kudos, which won't quite cut it, or 2X15ah from Woosh, which would be overkill.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Thanks for your reply JamesW.My budget is£2000;height 5ft-8 ins and weight is 11.5 stone.I am fairly fit for a 74 yr old and have cycled for most of my life but now I would like a motor to take the strain!Distance is my main priority,as I like to be out all day in the summer.Condor.
the woosh Krieger does not have a rear wheel drive but a crank drive. Besides that, it should fit your height, weight and distance very well.
It has a 20A motor, the previous woosh CD bikes have 14A motor, same range, about 50-60 miles and better weight distribution.

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
I thought the folk at MIT were going to make my dream a reality but nothing came of the idea. An interchangeable wheel - battery & motor - together with wireless controls. Given a 250w motor & a 36v 10a battery I'd have been a very happy bunny - the Dutch bike, the tandem, the road bike and an endless variety of other joys ... I dream on and look out at the rain. I wouldn't have wanted to get any of them wet! Happy Christmas to all - good health, long life and happiness to everyone!

MikeRo

Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2014
Maldon CM8
I thought the folk at MIT were going to make my dream a reality but nothing came of the idea. An interchangeable wheel - battery & motor - together with wireless controls. Given a 250w motor & a 36v 10a battery I'd have been a very happy bunny - the Dutch bike, the tandem, the road bike and an endless variety of other joys ... I dream on and look out at the rain. I wouldn't have wanted to get any of them wet! Happy Christmas to all - good health, long life and happiness to everyone!
Huh? The Copenhagen wheel is almost in production isn't it?

Reactions: timidtom

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
Is it? Great - there may be light at the end of the tunnel! (Yes, I know - it's the train rushing to crush you ...) :)
Just Googled 'Copenhagen wheel' - I didn't know it under this name - looks promising, Mind you, in the days of long ago I thought the 32cc Cyclemaster bike wheel was wonderful - until I bought one!
Happy Festive season, everyone!