Bike options for a fat bloke?

Lardo

Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2014
I've had some advice on here about a year ago when I was looking to convert my bike to electric. I've decided that I'll keep my old bike and get an electric bike to use alongside it.

My usage will be approximately 10 miles a day with a sustained 300-ish foot climb one way. I'm 125kg so need something that can cope with this. (Looking at my post last year I've lost 15kg since then, which is just scratching the surface).

With a budget of between £800-1000 what would be a good option for me?

Also, living in the Sheffield area is there somewhere I can test bikes out to make sure they are really the right option for me?

Thanks

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Alternatively an Oxydrive 13ah cst kit on a 700c bike would be awesome, just built up a Boardman MX with this kit and it flies 250w @ 24.3 mph and thats with only a 46t chain ring and 11t rear top gear.I also have a big bear kit on 700c frame it is very good but the Oxy is better.

Lardo

Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2014
I'd need a new donor bike for that option though, and I reckon that would blow my budget.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
BBS02 500W conversion kit.
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?cdkit

It won't blow your budget and it encourages you to pedal.
The Big Bear could make you lazy.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
it's easy, plenty of members have done that.
I made mine with a pair of 20p microswitches. You cut the cable of the supplied brake levers, solder the yellow and black wires to the miscroswitch.
If you use use reed switches, buy the ones that have rectangular bodies, much easier to superglue to your brakes.

Lardo

Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2014
Is there any discussion on this that I could be linked to? Without the kit in front of me I can't get my head around the problem, let alone the fix! When you say this won't make me lazy unlike the bb, what exactly do you mean?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
example of hydraulic brake sensor:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=59378

The Big Bear is a bit like a motorbike, you just throttle it up and it goes. No need to pedal nor change gear. The CD kit makes you select the right gear and encourages you to pedal. The reward is that you can exploit the motive power better, climb hills faster.

Lardo

Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2014
Gotcha, thanks. So I am just looking for a way to introduce a 'push to make' circuit for each brake lever actuation in order to cut the motor? I'm sure I could manage that.

Next bit of research will be into making a battery pack from r/c lipo cells. Do I need to match the 36v 15ah or is there any benefit/risk to increasing the voltage?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
you should look for a donor bike with a large triangle to accommodate a downtube battery. Don't bother making the battery yourself, the saving is not worth it. Batteries are the weakest link in any e-bike kits and expensive to replace. A good supplier is what you need more, just in case your battery dies.
Panda, Eclipse, Cyclezee and Woosh are members of this forum. Buy a battery from any of them.

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
Gotcha, thanks. So I am just looking for a way to introduce a 'push to make' circuit for each brake lever actuation in order to cut the motor? I'm sure I could manage that.

Next bit of research will be into making a battery pack from r/c lipo cells. Do I need to match the 36v 15ah or is there any benefit/risk to increasing the voltage?
IF you are familiar with the care and feeding of r/c Lipo they are unbeatable for ebikes due to low weight, high energy density,low cost and capability to supply high current with almost 0 voltage sag.

If you are not sure of the handling go with a factory pack as Trex suggested The r/c LiPo have improved but are to be treated with care especially with larger packs.
10 cell is probably your best bet for reliability.

Lardo

Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2014
I've had a lipo RC car for a couple of years and am happy with how to look after them individually. I'm confident I could make a decent safe pack if I can get some help on choosing the combinations of cells.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
RC lipo on a commuter bike is a no no.
For cheap transports, weight saving is good but not to the detriment of reliability and capacity.

Lardo

Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2014
You make a fair point. Is the woosh battery good value or are there better options?

D

Deleted member 4366

SYEBC is just down the road from you. Why don't you go there and try a few?

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
RC lipo on a commuter bike is a no no.
For cheap transports, weight saving is good but not to the detriment of reliability and capacity.
Ease of use, safety and at work storage make sense, I forgot about it being for commuter usage.

But capacity?