Bike or kit

Funkster

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 9, 2019
Hi, I'm looking to get an ebike but unsure of the way to go I have a Boardman 8.8 hybrid. Spec is 1x10 deore, Shimano hydraulic brakes. It's nice to ride. I can get a rear hub kit for this xf80c. Or other option,I have seen one of the woosh bikes. I like the woosh faro road version.one comes without external battery and one with a 17a one.
I prefer road and flattish trail riding,which I can do on the boardman so am unsure to go for kit and keep bike or sell and buy road faro.i am 10stone so not too heavy. Thanks

Warwick2

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2021
If you're happy with the bike and it fits you well, I'd say convert that. The wiring won't be as neat as the Woosh, but if you're not too worried about that, you'll have a bike that'll suit your needs well. That's assuming you are reasonably hands-on mechanically, of course, and have the right tools.

Assuming you're reasonably fit and don't intend riding too far, I don't think you'd need a 17a battery, seeing as you're relatively light. A 14a one would be cheaper, lighter and give you a decent range.

If you're going to tour on it, the opposite applies and go for the largest capacity your budget will allow.

Reactions: Bikes4two

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Thanks what range would the 14a battery be?
Range is impossible to give at all exactly, there are so many variables. Some riders would get over 100 miles, but for many of those miles they would be riding under their own steam at over 16mph and not using any battery at all. With a lesser rider using significant assist in a hilly area that could drop below 30 miles.

To get a good idea of all the variables look at https://www.bosch-ebike.com/en/service/range-assistant/
A 14ah 36v battery is just over 500wh, so choose that battery. Even though the assistant is for Bosch bikes it gives a very good idean for any bike.

stargazer30

Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2020
Range is impossible to give at all exactly, there are so many variables. Some riders would get over 100 miles, but for many of those miles they would be riding under their own steam at over 16mph and not using any battery at all. With a lesser rider using significant assist in a hilly area that could drop below 30 miles.

To get a good idea of all the variables look at https://www.bosch-ebike.com/en/service/range-assistant/
A 14ah 36v battery is just over 500wh, so choose that battery. Even though the assistant is for Bosch bikes it gives a very good idean for any bike.
The Bosch range calculate will probably over estimate a bit as its for a mid drive motor. Hubs tend to setup to run until they hit a certain cut off speed vs a mid drive that measures torque and applies assist as needed. So for hubs the range is typically less, at least all three of mine have been vs my bosch and FAZUA mids.

Funkster

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 9, 2019
XF08 CST rear 26" or 27.5" or 700C wheel with 13AH battery: £549.

hi, this was the option at woosh or the 17a battery?

Warwick2

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2021
The choice of battery depends on how you're planning to ride the bike. Short day trips up to 40 to 50 miles, 13AH will be fine. If you're intending to go further and/or tour with it, 17AH would be better.

One caveat is to check that either will fit within your frame. If it's a hybrid, diamond frame you should be ok, but best check. The dimensions should be on the Woosh site.

Warwick2

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2021
Bear in mind that those range figures assume that you'll be sticking to 15.5mph. my Woosh Brompton kit was easy to derestrict, so if you do that your range will drop significantly.

Reactions: Bikes4two