Bike ordered: Kudos Arriba. Child seat required!

andrew69

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 17, 2015
So, we have taken the plunge (after just a week of borrowing a friends ebike!) and ordered two brand new Kudos Arribas through our local ebike shop

We should have them by midweek, but we have an 18 month old daughter that we need to sort a child seat out for ASAP?

I am not very handy, or technical, so I need a nice easy solution!

Would I be best taking the bikes to our local bike shop or halfords and seeing what they say?

Dave from Kudos has told me that someone on here put a large rack on the back of their typhoon but I can't seem to find the thread

Any help greatly appreciated, quicker we get sorted the more we can make the most of our "summer" (fair weather cyclist alert)

JamesW

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2014
Where do you live (roughly) Andrew?
I have just removed a child seat from my wife's bike that has hardly been used that I'm looking to sell. I'd be happy to fit it for you if it will fit and if you a reasonably local (if you would like to buy it)

JamesW

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2014
bit far for me to travel from near Cambridge and the postage on a parcel would negate the 2nd hand discount.

this is a great child seat and you can get extra brackets for a tenner. (I had 1 seat and 2 brackets so we could swap it between our bikes as required)
http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Avenir-Snug-Child-Seat_44943.htm
Very easy to fit on the downstem below the seatpost.

andrew69

Jul 17, 2015
Hi James, many thanks for your original offer and subsequent link

I will check it out

We are raring to go so want the child seat sorted so it doesn't hold us back!

Thanks again

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
Dave from Kudos has told me that someone on here put a large rack on the back of their typhoon but I can't seem to find the thread

Any help greatly appreciated, quicker we get sorted the more we can make the most of our "summer" (fair weather cyclist alert)
I put a rack on a Typhoon, it's this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/M-Wave-One-4-All-Aluminium-Carrier-440174/dp/B00CXSVPP6/ref=sr_1_1?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1437410694&sr=1-1&keywords=M-Wave+One-4-All+Aluminium+Carrier+(Model+440174)+-+Black

I also had to buy http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acor-Seat-Clamp-Carrier-Bosses/dp/B007ZBRX7K/ref=sr_1_5?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1437410817&sr=1-5&keywords=Acor+Seat+Post+Clamp+With+Carrier+Bosses:

As there are no bosses on the typhoon to connect the rack to. If you do order these, make sure you order the correct size of seat clamp.

I don't know if the rack would take the weight of a child seat though. Someone better qualified might be able to tell you.

Robw1uk

Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2009
Northampton
Jimod is that rack solid , that could solve my prob for my kudos king . Child seat dont sit on racks they use poles for suspension,comfort

JamesW

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2014
Alternative would be to find a ( second hand ?) trailer on Ebay and put your daughter in that, then you have sleeping space if you stay out late and room for the picnic too! You can then add a sibling/friend at a later date if you want or upgrade to a tagalong for those longer journeys as she gets older!
I will admit a seat is easier than a trailer for short rides and for commuting by train but I get the impression that this is not high on you list of requirements!

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
Jimod is that rack solid , that could solve my prob for my kudos king . Child seat dont sit on racks they use poles for suspension,comfort
It's solid enough that I carry my spare battery on it. You wouldn't need that type for your King though. That one is designed for bikes with no mounting points for a rack. The same company make a rack with proper mountings.

You'd need to make some small alterations to put your battery on it, like using the plate from your old rack which slides the battery on. Then probably fix something to stop the battery from coming off.

Robw1uk

Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2009
Northampton
Jim , that was the plan using my old plate to secure it good . It looks like I will fit fine to me . I would also use a bottom plate to clamp it on tight i will let u know .

Reactions: Jimod

andrew69

Jul 17, 2015
Got our bikes today, went to local bike shop and got fitted with a Bobike front child seat (thanks Arragons in Penrith)

Few teething problems with the Kudos so far but haven't been through instructions yet properly

Really impressed with the way they ride, did 15 miles up and down and on some tracks, really impressed

Both of our seats have come loose, have tightened up as much as we can but still working loose

Thinking of changing the seat for a more forgiving seat for our current lardy arses

Any recommendations for a nice squidgy comfortable seat?

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
If you have the money, a Brooks leather saddle is the most comfy, and will probably last forever. It's counter-intuitive, but soft saddles aren't always the most comfortable.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Very personal things, saddles, but if you are thinking of Brooks there are cheaper 'copies' that seem to offer the same benefits.

Juicy Bikes sell one, as do Spa Cycles in Harrogate who offer a range.

I tried one of the Spa ones on a Spa bike and liked it.

But as I say, saddles are a very personal thing.

JamesC

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2007
Peterborough, UK
Got our bikes today, went to local bike shop and got fitted with a Bobike front child seat (thanks Arragons in Penrith)
I enjoyed the Bobike Mini front seat with my grandsons, usually fitted to a "step through" Kalkhoff with the seat mounted up on the quill stem and rotating with the handlebars (probably only suitable on the road).

You may be interested in this old report that I wrote at the outset.

Look forward to hearing about your rides with your daughter.

Reactions: trex