Bike Racks and Storage

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset
Hi Everyone,

Ideas and advice sought. I have 4 bikes and I'm running out of room. Actually I have 4.5 bikes and another 6 or so wheels, that's what you get when you convert and/or break bikes.

I'm not really running out of physical space, just organised space. They are always in the way and if I pile them together then the one I want will always be at the bottom.

I have a double garage to put them in, but what's a good way of storage/parking?

Nick

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
On Thursday I think Lidl are selling storage hoists for a fiver, if you have joists to fix them to then it could be a cheap option.

Footie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2007
Cornwall. PL27
Lidl's had bike wall racks the other day.
No good for me as I only have woodsheds.
If you’re strong enough to lift the bikes on and off, they could be a practicable way of keeping the floor area clear so you can convert and/or break more bikes ;)

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset
Patrick,

Many thanks for that link; there's a lot of ideas there. I may well end up with a "one up one down" rack. It takes up floor space, but many of the wall mount solutions won't work for e-bikes or bikes without conventional cross bars.

Nick

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset
New idea! I could get some of those trainer rigs and put the bikes in the living room.

Nick

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
Nick,

I can empathise with your situation, as I have 5 bikes and a tandem, plus half a dozen wheels, more tyres (including some Kenda ones that I can't give away!) in my garage.

Most have stands, so they are easy enough to park. When I've identified one as not being in use, turning the handlebars makes it fit tidily against a wall. I use a bike hoist for the tandem, which frees a lot of space. It is also handy to use as a workstand, in particular for adjusting gears. If you have lots of cieling space, then 3 or 4 of those would be my suggestion.
My spare wheels and tyres hang up from hooks on the ceiling.

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset
I do happen to have a roof space in the workshop that is big enough to hoist things into. I've even rigged up a hoist system that will put 250 kg there.

Trouble is, the space is already taken - by a hovercraft hull.

You know those lift systems that posh people in London use to park two cars in one space. I know the guy who makes them, he's only a few miles from here. Maybe we can work something out.......

Nick

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
I wasn't expecting that one - but yes, a bike hoist is no good if you have a hovercraft hull on your garage ceiling!

Could you at least hang the wheels and tyres off the hovercraft hull? I know it would be overkill to get one specially just to store bike parts, but if you have one already there...