Bike security & insurance

IzzyB

Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2007
I've recently bought a new electric bike and was wondering whether anyone can recommend a good insurance company - my home insurance doesn't cover it. It's for a Freego folding ebike which has full throttle.

At the moment it's in my flat but I'm hoping eventually to keep it in the communal hallway, but at the moment there is nothing to fix the lock to. I was wondering if anyone knows if you can get some kind of secure wall fixing that I can attach a padlock to? I have a picture in my mind - just a metal ring or something like that - but no idea what it is called or where to buy such a thing. Is there something specific for this purpose or would it be a question of DIY?

Thanks,
IzzyB

hallii

Pedelecer
May 5, 2011
My house insurance is with the Co-Op, they put two bikes and any personal stuff taken out of the house on my policy for £32, bargain I think.

Geoff

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
You may have a problem with A: putting a fixing in wall in communal area and B: leaving your bike there. It is probably a fire exit and needs to be kept clear of obstacles? Other flat owners could complain and tell the free holder......

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Izzy B&Q have something suitable under` Hardware`. They have Eye Plates in 6 mm or 8 mm secured to the wall by 4 screws at each corner of the plate and also Ring on Plate .You could then get a Motorcycle sheathed chain where the shackle is completely removeable from the body of the lock so that the shackle goes through the eye or ring on the above .The last one I bought in Aldi was less than a tenner . A £34 Motorcycle Ground Anchor might be over the top . A shed hasp and staple might also do .

IzzyB

Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2007
I already had my old bike in the communal area, and another resident parks his mobility scooter there, so shouldn't be a problem.

Re insurance I think alot of companies cover ordinary bikes as part of contents insurance, but not an electric bike. Did you specify that it was an electric bike Geoff?

IzzyB

Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2007
Thanks, Roadie Roger, I'll check out B&Q. What is a shed hasp & staple?
IzzyB

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Izzy to see an illustration of a` Hasp and Staple` which is used to lock gates or sheds , type in WICKES . Then click on `Doors and Windows` and at the top of the page put in the Product Code or Keyword .I can tell you the Product Code is 159 625 or 159 626 for galvanised finish instead of black .

karl101

Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2011
Re insurance I think alot of companies cover ordinary bikes as part of contents insurance, but not an electric bike. Did you specify that it was an electric bike Geoff?
When I rang the my insurer for a quote for a Wisper 709, they gave me a price of £110 a year. They seemed more interested in the purchase price of the bike rather than it being electric.

Karl

IzzyB

Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2007
I've had an online quote from ETA for £58 - there seems to be quite a good discount (40%)for folding bikes which mine is. I don't know if that means the bike has to be kept in a folded or partially folded state for it to be valid against theft. They also say when making a claim that you need the original receipt for your padlock, which I don't have. I have a good Abus lock with a Code Card & number - I will be contacting them to see if that is acceptable, otherwise I'd have to buy a new lock to be covered.
Izzy

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Izzy I don`t know whether you have purchased your lock and chain yet , but in Lidl`s this morning they have the £14.99 Motorcycle chain with hardened links . In their flyer for today Sept. 12th ,it shows some motorcycle gear but not the chains . There were about half a dozen in the Barry Branch, as well as Cycling gear from previous offers , including footpumps .

IzzyB

Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2007
Thanks RoadieRoger,

I'll still be using my old lock, a good Abus one. I contacted ETA again and they said if I didn't have the receipt for the lock, I could either take photos of the bike with the lock or get a Replacement Value Certificate for the bike + lock from any bike shop.

The Lidl one sounds good, but I wonder if it would be acceptable, the insurance companies are quite specific about what security rating lock you use in relation to the value of the bike.

IzzyB

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Izzy the Lidl lock has a 3 year guarantee and is certified by a German Testing Organisation , the lock is actually a small U type which could be used without the chain . I haven`t insured my Ebike but use a smaller Motorcycle lock and it is chained to an aluminium stepladder .My main Aprilia Scooter has an alarmed disc lock and my Classic Suzuki X7 and CS50 Roadie have large Aldi and Lidl locks and chains .My Garage has a shed alarm . A movement sensor floodlight faces the door and the end of the garage is painted white to reflect the light going on , which reflects through my bedroom window , with the curtains left slightly apart .
Twenty years ago I had an ultrasonic alarm fed into the house wiring and I did get spurious alarms going off , but one morning at 5 am it went off and I went down to investigate and my door at been crow barred .The burglars had put their heads through the hole and the piercing ultrasonic whistle had scared them off . After that I strengthened my defences .
Professional burglars when interviewed by the` Motorcycle News` a few years ago feared baby alarms in sheds and garages , they obviously hadn`t come across Lynda`s Pomeranians !

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
M&P of Swansea have a nice Motrax Motorcycle lock and chain on special offer at half price for £14.99 and £18.99 for the 1.2 metre and 2 metre respectively . The codes are 525921 and 525923 .