Bike Security threats!

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
I was appalled when I saw this video on YouTube, demonstrating how with a simple, cheap tool, some top model bike chains can be split and completely disassembled, eg. Bike stolen:-
I use a similar chain when out and about!
BUT, I also use a sensitive alarm, that when using the stand, strong winds and really heavy truck traffic, sometimes cause it to give a single "Chirp"" at around 120db., That is REALLY loud.
If that chain breaker had been used on a locked up bike, my alarm, hidden as a rear light under my saddle, would have been activated BEFORE the chain broke.
There is a good case for having both on a valued bike, I feel.
The alarm I have is easily available for very little moneyon ebay throughout europe, and has a USB port for charging, and as a alarm, seems to run for about weeks before a recharge is necessary. Has a remote control and basic functions, alarm, hooter and rear light.
Due to it being mounted under the rear seat, and having its own rechargeable battery, it will be difficult for a thief to disable it quickly and quietly!
This is the one I bought, but there are probably many different designs equally effective:-
Regards
Andy

Reactions: mountaindweller

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Nearly every type of lock can be defeated by some special tool or other. It's nothing to worry about unless you leave your bike in the same spot regularly so that a thief can predict its presence and know what security you have. Apart from that, all you need is a lock that can defeat the tools that the casual thieves carry around with them, like cable cutters, junior hacksaw and small bolt croppers.

Frank D

Pedelecer
Apr 16, 2019
Yes the main danger now is theft from your garage or the shed, once they know that you have expensive bikes in there you are vulnerable.

mountaindweller

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 15, 2019
I was appalled when I saw this video on YouTube, demonstrating how with a simple, cheap tool, some top model bike chains can be split and completely disassembled, eg. Bike stolen:-
I use a similar chain when out and about!
BUT, I also use a sensitive alarm, that when using the stand, strong winds and really heavy truck traffic, sometimes cause it to give a single "Chirp"" at around 120db., That is REALLY loud.
If that chain breaker had been used on a locked up bike, my alarm, hidden as a rear light under my saddle, would have been activated BEFORE the chain broke.
There is a good case for having both on a valued bike, I feel.
The alarm I have is easily available for very little moneyon ebay throughout europe, and has a USB port for charging, and as a alarm, seems to run for about weeks before a recharge is necessary. Has a remote control and basic functions, alarm, hooter and rear light.
Due to it being mounted under the rear seat, and having its own rechargeable battery, it will be difficult for a thief to disable it quickly and quietly!
This is the one I bought, but there are probably many different designs equally effective:-
Regards
Andy
Hi , i have just joined Pedelecs as i am about to move over to the E-bike world and take charge of a new R&M Supercharger GX Rohloff and one of my first priorities given the value of the bike was to assess the security of it and one of the things that came to mind is the Abus plus folding lock which is fitted and locked into the rear seat area.
I have asked Reise & Muller if the Abus plus is one of the gold standard locks , getting a vague answer, the dealer who i am buying the bike from has assured me it will be the one that was cracked ...say no more, but i think that i will use my trusted liteLok

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Hi , i have just joined Pedelecs as i am about to move over to the E-bike world and take charge of a new R&M Supercharger GX Rohloff and one of my first priorities given the value of the bike was to assess the security of it and one of the things that came to mind is the Abus plus folding lock which is fitted and locked into the rear seat area.
I have asked Reise & Muller if the Abus plus is one of the gold standard locks , getting a vague answer, the dealer who i am buying the bike from has assured me it will be the one that was cracked ...say no more, but i think that i will use my trusted liteLok
Who could blame you, as they are not cheap.
My view, with a sensitive alarm on the bike, is you just need something that will cause the thief to cause a small vibration, and cutting such links should do just that I feel.....
At least neither of my e-bikes have been stolen in the last 8 years!!
regards
Andy

Laser Man

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2018
Michelmersh SO51
Yes the main danger now is theft from your garage or the shed, once they know that you have expensive bikes in there you are vulnerable.
There is a story that Strava tracks allow thieves to pinpoint where fast bikes (or strong riders!) live.