Bike Security

toneee

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 24, 2018
I've just bought myself a shiny new bike, but it got me started thinking about how to secure it.

At the moment I've narrowed it down to these two chain locks:

Hiplok homie - https://www.hiplok.com/product/hiplok-homie/
Pewag 12 mm Diameter Chain Bicycle Lock Motorcycle Lock Chain 3012

Does anyone else have any opinions or better options?

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
the hip loc is ok but over 4 kilo and the angle grinder will still cut it off
I suggest a d lock which has the sold secure logo on it at gold level and a second lock system either another d lock or a padlock and chain be careful they make fakes /copy now
unfortunately the little sh-ts :mad:can now knick any thing we can only slow them down also when at home chain it to a ground anchor or heavy object

toneee

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 24, 2018
the hip loc is ok but over 4 kilo and the angle grinder will still cut it off
I suggest a d lock which has the sold secure logo on it at gold level and a second lock system either another d lock or a padlock and chain be careful they make fakes /copy now
unfortunately the little sh-ts :mad:can now knick any thing we can only slow them down also when at home chain it to a ground anchor or heavy object
This is whats been driving me crazy watching some of the reviews on youtube, like a lot of the Thatcham approved locks which are supposed to last at least 5 minutes, being cut through in seconds.

The Pewag looks really tough though. It's also very difficult to get the hardness rating on a lot of these chains.

Was thinking about one of those locks that emits an alarm if its tampered with, but think it will be ignored like most car alarms these days.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
here you go will take a while to cut through one of them links :D

• :D
Reactions: peter.c and toneee

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
The modern battery angle grinder will cut any thing with the right wheel on it:eek: if not a set of gas bottles or dry ice will remove it
I spent over 40 years selling and installing alarms locks and cctv I have not found any thing that stops theft :(
You can only deter and make your item less inviting than the one next to it:rolleyes: that's why I suggested two separate locking systems
as a general rule if you can lift a chain you can cut ito_O and it is only a safe if you need a crane to lift it
you can try a cheap gps tracker if you can find some ware to conceal it
SORRY THE CHOICE IS YOURS THERE IS NOT ONE I WOULD PERSONALY RECOMMEND

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
ever wonder why you see random bike locks all over the place with no bike in sight.

the fastest way to go is the frame as thats going in the skip or in the river anyway.

its much more easy to sell all the parts for decent prices than a hole stolen bike as round here its 100 quid for a 1000 quid bike complete.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
A D lock and a frame lock, first with cable and second with chain are my kit. Lock your bike to something, take a photo and if anything bad happens show the photos before/after to your insurance guy. I am insured for replacement value. I am looking for a frame lock for the trike at the moment.

When I go to the big city I leave the bike, locked, in a locked bike park at the station, it has a police station opposite the entrance. I think that an angle grinder might attract the attention of the police?

You can't stop them, you can help yourself getting your insurance company to pay what they said they would pay in the contract you signed.

• Agree
Reactions: peter.c

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
The cuts in the uk mean that the police station will be shut :(and the moped lot get away with any thing there are several videos cutting takes under 30 seconds from start to ride away

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
D8 always used to reccomend these:
http://www.oxford-shop.co.uk/item3646.htm
Reckoned that the rollers around the high tensile steel cable made it very difficult to use a grinder.
My own security is to never leave the bike out of my sight for more than a few minutes. But then I have the luxury of not commuting and living in rural bliss !
I have a folding lock that sits in a cage on the frame. Find it's longer than D locks to get round street furniture.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Not seen that one cut with a grinder yet but it does not it will not on the pack saw a d lock with ball bearings inside a tube cut with grinder like a knife through butter

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
D8 always used to reccomend these:
http://www.oxford-shop.co.uk/item3646.htm
Reckoned that the rollers around the high tensile steel cable made it very difficult to use a grinder.
My own security is to never leave the bike out of my sight for more than a few minutes. But then I have the luxury of not commuting and living in rural bliss !
I have a folding lock that sits in a cage on the frame. Find it's longer than D locks to get round street furniture.
I had one on a bike at home and the lock wouldn't open in the end I angle grinded it, via the fixed pin end that enters the lock body. The rollers may resist making it harder but not the lock end.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
I had one on a bike at home and the lock wouldn't open in the end I angle grinded it, via the fixed pin end that enters the lock body. The rollers may resist making it harder but not the lock end.
It would have to be pretty invincible steel to not get cut by a cordless grinder with a 1.2mm cutting disc
I’ve tried and you can even cut ball bearings in half
Locks are all well and good but only a deterrent for the casual thief a determined thief you wont stop at all

It’s the same with vehicles
No one can stop a car grab picking up a car no matter how much it’s locked and alarmed :(

• Agree
Reactions: peter.c

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Any additional security is only a deterrent to a casual thief make yours harder to steal than the one next to it:rolleyes: the only thing that works on a car is a disc steering lock that covers the whole wheel but this can be defeated eventually 15 to 20 mins delay ;) saab had a good idea lock the car in reverse till they learnt to rear lift them o_O now it is two separate trackers and hope they do not put straight into a container or have a jammer

• Agree
Reactions: Fat Rat

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
The horrible thing is if they really want it they will take it from you at knife point or threat of acid attack at the traffic lights:eek: this is the current favorite way to steal /rob mopeds :( have sold my shinny road bike now ride a flat black non looker if I ride into London