Bike Security.

Cowimars

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 14, 2020
Now i have taken the plunge and bought an e-bike - by far the most expensive bike i have ever bought - i am now thinking about security and how i prevent it from being stolen. I hope to use this bike as much as i can - reduce my car use - so cycling it into the city centre. I intend to buy as best a lock I can - looking at a gold rated D.Lock - maybe 2 - recommendations welcome . Does anyone have any other advise - for example, if leaving it in a public place, should i remove the battery and take it with me. At work I will lock it up inside my bike locker - so not too concerned about that - its more when i need to lock it to railings in a public place.

Any advise would be most welcome. Thanks

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
If you search these forums you will find quite a lot of threads relating to bike locks & security. It really all comes down to one thing...cost, the more you pay for a lock the better it is.
If you use two better still, also if you fit a bike alarm like many are now doing that's about all you can do.

Reactions: Andy-Mat
D

Deleted member 25121

Your insurer might specify the type of lock you have to use, they come with different security ratings.

The highest standard locks, "gold standard", cost more and weigh more. Weight isn't such a big issue with ebikes however when a heavy lock is stored high up in a cycle bag it can effect the handling of the bike in an unpleasant way.

There are D locks, chain locks and folding locks. Take a look at:

I like the Abus Bordo locks, their carriers can be mounted low down on the cycle frame and there are many options available.

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
I intend to buy as best a lock I can - its more when i need to lock it to railings in a public place.
Personally I would never live a bike in a public place, and most definitely not an ebike. There isn't a lock strong enough that can stop someone stealing it. A cordless angle grinder will cut through pretty much any lock.

I never leave mine in a public place. In fact there are only two places I ever leave mine, at home and at work. The building I work in is probably more secure than any other building you could wish for, but I still lock it up (using an Abus Granite flat folding lock). But I don't lock it to stop anyone stealing it, its more to stop a colleague from having a ride on it without me knowing.

I know of people who walk around my city centre carrying extremely large bolt croppers under their coat and down their trousers and steal numerous bikes, usually from around student buildings. I would say that no bike is safe, and no lock will stop a bike from being stolen.

If you leave your ebike locked up in public, then the odds are that it stands a good chance of being stolen.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Personally I would never live a bike in a public place, and most definitely not an ebike. There isn't a lock strong enough that can stop someone stealing it. A cordless angle grinder will cut through pretty much any lock.

I never leave mine in a public place. In fact there are only two places I ever leave mine, at home and at work. The building I work in is probably more secure than any other building you could wish for, but I still lock it up (using an Abus Granite flat folding lock). But I don't lock it to stop anyone stealing it, its more to stop a colleague from having a ride on it without me knowing.

I know of people who walk around my city centre carrying extremely large bolt croppers under their coat and down their trousers and steal numerous bikes, usually from around student buildings. I would say that no bike is safe, and no lock will stop a bike from being stolen.

If you leave your ebike locked up in public, then the odds are that it stands a good chance of being stolen.
I understand here you are coming from, and you are lucky that you only need to park in only those two places.
But for instance, I have no car during the week as my wife needs it, so I go shopping and on Dog walks with my e-bike.
I park when and where needed.
I also feel that many e-bikers are probably somewhat similar in their needs.
Which is why I have one very loud alarm and two different heavy bike locks, one for the front wheel to frame and one for the rear wheel to frame. Also including a strong fence or similar when possible! But as you might say, nothing is perfect, but up to now, neither of my bikes has been stolen. Lucky!
Insurance is also a good idea, which someone has already mentioned here.
I would also like to hear from others, both about their needs and what they do to make their bikes safe, as its a very interesting and important subject!
regards
Andy

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
My Abus Granite folding lock is good as the holder bolts to the bike frame using the drinks bottle mounts, so easy to carry, but I wouldn't rely on this lock if leaving in public.

I'd love to use mine for nipping to the suermarket etc, but where I live I know it would get stolen. But then maybe I'm a bit over secure with stuff, as I don't leave my motorbike anywhere either.

Last edited: