Bike Speedometer

gucu

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 30, 2019
Hi
What's the best speedo I can buy for a bike please? Would love to have a mileage indicator for a journey and also overall mileage.
Thanks
Rich

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You haven't given any details about your bike or its electrical system.

Wireless bike computers don't like electric motors.

All bike computers do the job, even these £2 ones work well. If you're going to spend much more than that, it would probably better to upgrade your controller to one with an LCD.

You can also use your phone if it has GPS in it, like most do, then you can use it for maps, navigation, journey logging, calaries and much more too.

Finally, you can buy a Fitbit smart watch (Charge 2 or 3), which logs everything about your journey as long as you have your GPS enabled phone in your pocket. something like this.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: gucu and LeighPing

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Or mount your phone on the handlebars and use any number of apps.
Several downsides though: costly risk if broken (my phone is relatively cheap and robust), battery use.

• Informative
Reactions: gucu and LeighPing

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
The one I linked to isn't wireless, Rich asked for the the best, not the cheapest.
I've tried cheap ones and whilst they do the job they are a pain to use especially when wearing gloves.
Dave.:)

Reactions: gucu

gucu

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 30, 2019
You haven't given any details about your bike or its electrical system.

All bike computers do the job, even these £2 ones work well. If you're going to spend much more than that, it would probably better to upgrade your controller to one with an LCD.

You can also use your phone if it has GPS in it, like most do, then you can use it for maps, navigation, journey logging, calaries and much more too.

Finally, you can buy a Fitbit smart watch (Charge 2 or 3), which logs everything about your journey as long as you have your GPS enabled phone in your pocket. something like this.

Hi
Thanks for the reply. This is the motor I purchased:
www.ebay.co.uk

26" Electric Bicycle Motor Conversion Kit 500W/1000W Front Rear Wheel E Bike Hub | eBay
1000W Max speed: 45~48km/h. 500W Max speed: 25 km/h. Want to convert your regular pedal bike into a motorized bike?. Look no further, we have found you the perfect conversion kit. You can install those for added security.
www.ebay.co.uk
Not sure if I can change the controller? It is fitted to the rear.
My smart phone has LineageOS installed and it runs with a version of Open Street Maps. I will take a look to see if that works.
Thanks for all the other ideas.
Rich