Bike Stands

snafu

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2020
Hall End, North |Warks
Hi All,
Looking to buy a decent bike stand for maintenance/on going fettling. Anyone have any advice? Park Tool kit is well out of my financial capabilities but willing to spend up to £100 or so if that's what it takes. I've been looking around and although I see plenty which say E-Bike in the description I have my doubts they are strong or stable enough.

So, anyone bought one in my price range that they are happy with? I'm hoping Amazon as I have a £50 voucher burning a hole in my pocket. :)

Thanks in advance

TTFN
John.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0116.JPG
£20 lidl

• Informative
Reactions: snafu

snafu

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2020
Hall End, North |Warks
Interesting, I've seen these but had reservations about their stability and strength when used with an E-Bike. But if you guys are using them then I guess my fears are unfounded. I'll drop down and see if they are in stock.

Thanks guys.

TTFN
John.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it will hold it but that's about it and all i really need it to do.

that was my old one but the new one is pretty much the same and from lidl.

DSC_0265_04.JPG

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
It's unlikely that the stand (I have similar from amazon), will be strong enough vertical locking so for me when my rear hub is on the bike (1500W), I cannot raise the stand as it's too heavy for the screw locks to hold and main stand tube slides down to min height meaning bike is not really raised much. It works OK with rear wheel off, it's strong enough to hold.

If the LIDL version IS strong enough then please post back!

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Has anyone tried the floor to ceiling bike stands? Aldi's sub £25 cheapo (which I have never seen for sale) claims 20kg weight capacity per arm:

Topeak's version:

Oak version, 90kg total capacity:

Last edited:

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Can you, or do you know anyone who can weld.
Square steel box section welded up into a frame, and you can buy the clamp bit separately.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Thanks to my metalwork teacher at school, oxyacetylene torch welding of steel I could do, if I had one, alternatively big nuts and bolts could form something sturdy... but I'm not convinced that any of the clamps I've found thus far are suitably strong enough - clamps with jaws the right shape to hold bikes are plastic, not steel, and none seem to open wide enough for my particular bike's frame tubing. I'll stick to my ceiling hoist for now. If the jaws of this "Rusta" opened wide enough, I'd screw it to the end of a bench, or bolt it through a big piece of wood and clamp that to a bench. It's rated for 30kg allegedly, and the bike wouldn't have far to fall, if it's a low bench.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It's unlikely that the stand (I have similar from amazon), will be strong enough vertical locking so for me when my rear hub is on the bike (1500W), I cannot raise the stand as it's too heavy for the screw locks to hold and main stand tube slides down to min height meaning bike is not really raised much. It works OK with rear wheel off, it's strong enough to hold.
That's not surprising that it can't hold a moped , the motor alone is probably 8kg alone.
They will though hold up most pedelecs quite safely.

Reactions: Bikes4two

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
Halfords bike stand I bought this one. It works for me with a 20+ kg bike. Wouldn't be without it.
Do you know what weight your ebike is (I weighed mine holding bike on bathroom scales then subtracted my weight)? That Halfords stand you linked is rated for 25kg load, will it actually hold that weight with no slippage?

I bough this one here from amazon about a yr ago and used it a lot to prep my frame for the ebike build. When built I did try my ebike with battery removed and frame/rear hub adds up to 24kg in total (30kg with battery), I tried this in the stand but when the vertical is extended the clamps don't hold it and it slides down to default height, I was a little annoyed tbh it wouldn't hold 24kg.

I just had another look and spec does claim it can hold 30kg however I am sceptical as said....
When my back is better I'll try again, maybe I can adjust the clamps to be tighter.

Attachments

ArthurG

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 20, 2021
If I remember correctly, my Carrera Crossfuse is 24kg with the battery on. I usually take it off when working on the bike. It makes it easier to lift, so probably just over 21 kg is what I put on the stand. It'll be a little bit weightier than the standard spec, as I've put mudguards, a carrier, Marathon Plus tyres (they're surprisingly heavy), a suspension seatpost and a side-stand on.

Last edited:

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
That Halfords stand you linked is rated for 25kg load, will it actually hold that weight with no slippage?
It wont hold it. the top section will slip, I've had that happen to a standard MTB weighing about 13kg. Clamped on the seatrpost theres a lot of bike overhanging and that moved it so i needed to reposition to a more centralized position.
Thing about moving it is the pedals dont clear the upright section.
25+kg bike, its unlikely.

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
I had a quick play with the stand tonight, if the horizontal clamp on the top tube is moved closer to rear the bike will site almost horizontal, any further over towards the front of bike and rear wheel drops down.

Interestingly the vertical tube at the back has been moved up an inch or so and clamped and it's now appearing to hold the bike after I had a play with it.

Unfortunately the bike at 25kg is too heavy for me to lift any higher to do a proper height test as I'm home alone this week and need an extra pair of hands to lift it and tighten clamp...

Attachments

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
@portals - If you haven't done so already, perhaps give the tube and clamp interior a good clean with isopropyl alcohol to remove any oil or polish, which could be reducing friction?

Last edited:

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
re the sliding down business, try a jubilee clip around the relevant tube, that should learn it!
Thanks, I'll have a look at that, not sure if it's possible though with the stand I have as I'd need to clamp the plastic part (that I fear under hose clamp pressure will snap), to the metal tube.

@portals - If you haven't done so already, perhaps give the tube and clamp interior a good clean with isopropyl alcohol to remove any oil or polish, which could be reducing friction?
I shall try this as I do have 99.9% IPA that I use to clean the bed on my printer, good idea, thanks!

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I shall try this as I do have 99.9% IPA that I use to clean the bed on my printer, good idea, thanks!
Worth a go, but it might not work - some plastics are too elastic. If it doesn't work, I'd try lightly roughening the inner surface of the plastic clamp using sandpaper, and very lightly roughening the metal tube's paintwork using the (dry) rough non "non-scratch" type scourer side of a kitchen sponge, wire wool, or fine sandpaper.

Last edited: