Bike Storage

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
After it was mentioned in another thread, i decided to check out the bike storage at the local station, and I found some interesting things. here it is in a walkway near the station, sort of in the middle of nowhere without much security. station is in the background of 2nd photo:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
It has/had tools attached to it for bike maintenance; however, the end of the pump thing was broken and half the tools were missing:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Another interesting thing was the squidgy walkway in front of the bike storage that generated energy somehow. I think it's more virtual signalling than useful. It doesn't look too new and it's generated 1.8 Mj, which is around 500wh if I've done my sums right - nearly enough for one ebike charge! It won't even make a fraction of the power needed to run the info screen. What a waste of time and resources! They could probably make at least 100 times the power if they had a line of turnstiles you had to go through.

Every time I look at that photo, I think crikey, I've left my bike there.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Thanks for this information - that looks even more depressing than your train station. I'll stay on the train and close my eyes till it goes away.

I do see the occasional very well lit bike shelter on train platforms, mostly filled too, with sensibly cheap looking bikes. I'll try to take a clear snap of one next time.

Last edited:
Reactions: MikelBikel

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The missing tools were used to nick the bikes parked there or to remove the nice component parts.
Also what on earth made someone think that such bike storage would be safe to leave and lock a bike ?

• :D

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
As you say, looks like a virtue signaling, box ticking exercise. Just like the painted line cycle lanes they can say, 'We've spent xxxthousands of pounds on cycle facility provision - polish my halo here!'.
I dread to think how much that thing cost. It's a sad indictment on society that anyone thinks it's OK/fun to hammer the tools.
As to leaving ones bike there.......... It really is time that we all stopped wearily accepting this behaviour as inevitable, and living in fear of it, and started to actively radiate that it's just not on.
I've seen something on similar lines in Carmarthen pedestrian area, I'll see if I can get a pic next time I'm down there.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The issue is people who plan & instigate these useless cycling infrastucture schemes have no idea and certainly aren't cyclists. Typical fools who waste money as has been said as a box ticking excercise.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Box ticking starts at the top of an organisation.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
It has/had tools attached to it for bike maintenance; however, the end of the pump thing was broken and half the tools were missing:
View attachment 56829
View attachment 56830

View attachment 56831
Good evidence - I've ratted you out to the rozzers for vandalising a bike pump and stealing tools.

how many years to break even ?
It'd have to house 280 bike sized bank safes, for me to use such a bike shelter. Or sturdy individual lockers, at the very least, with bike locking points embedded in concrete within. They've been ripped off paying £1.1 million for that mess. Blaming lack of use of that shelter on lack of cycle lanes in Cheltenham is stupid.

Perhaps Amazon and other delivery services, could make some of their larger delivery pick-up point lockers available for storage of folding bikes? Those are popping up in bus shelters and garage forecourts all over the place, surely their larger lockers aren't being used for delivery all the time? They could charge a rental fee, provide insurance, profit from unused space.

esuark

Pedelecer
Jul 23, 2019
kent
probably end up like those missile silos sold off for peanuts for lack of use and converted into a dwelling with some sort of local government grant.........

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
probably end up like those missile silos sold off for peanuts for lack of use and converted into a dwelling with some sort of local government grant.........
Convenient rail links, light and airy. Hell I'd buy one if they have planning permission for a second floor.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I'm going to estimate that the energy generating walkway cost a minimum of £20,000 to make 12p worth of electricity in God knows how many years. The cycle storage itself probably cost around £10,000 unless there was a substantial backhanded to the council, and there wasn't a single bike parked in it. I'm going to keep checking it, and I'm going to bet that I never see a bike in it because it's located on a footpath, where hardly any bikes would go, and it's very insecure. It would probably be safer to tie your bike to a lamppost on the nearest sink estate.

I just don't get it. I'd love to meet the person that made the decision to put the shelter there and ask them why. It's obvious that the only thing that it'll be used for is vandalism, and eventually they'll have to pay to remove it. I just find it so frustrating, when the money could be used to do something useful.

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
That train station bike rack and tool kit is the same as the one at my work.
Have locked security gates and cameras.
Bikes have still gone missing
The flat bottom rack is great. The inclined bottom rack is terrible and the top rack although easy to get the bike up is too much hassle.
Tools are all there but rusty.

What's needed is https://www.cheltenhambikes.co.uk/hire-services/storage-lockers

They are around the country but lottery of you have one close

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
I'm a little surprised that the tyre pump is still there, surely it only requires a spanner.....um and a van as it looks heavy but ppl will nick anything these days...?

What are they thinking leaving tools out....nuts.....

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I went an visited it again today. Still no bikes were in it, though a guy was smoking in it. He worked nearby and said that he had never seen a bike in it.