Bike Storage

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Here it is on the map. None of it makes sense:
View attachment 56847

Sod this off the shelf stuff, like pre-made ebikes they're all crap. I haven't got a quote, but I reckon a steel box with a 5 point locking door, with holes for 6 D-locks on one side hooping through a steel box tube subframe within the box, large enough to contain both my folding bike and folding Homcom trailer after I've towed it with my bike to public securely anchored street furniture, will cost about £600.

A year's rental costs about £100 less than your own secure lockable bike box! (Probably, like I said I haven't got a quote)

Thieves would need a vehicle to tear the box away from said street furniture and carry it off, and extract the bike from the box somewhere else, or spend ages first cutting through the box or box D-locks, then through the other 6 D-locks holding the bike and trailer to the subframed side of the box from the inside, one ot two of which are also secured to the anchored street furnitre - glad I can fold my bike and take it into supermarkets, and most customer business premises! For my bike and I, D-lock and box weight limit is about 74.5kg - trailer weight is 15.5kg, I can drag a 90kg trailer up steep hills. If I make the box a bit larger, I could fit an exhaust for the petrol generator charging my ebike battery while I'm away. How large could this box be before it gets charged for ground rent, requires planning permission and it's own postcode? Larger than the combined dimensions of my bike, trailer and petrol generator I bet.

how many years to break even ?
How many steel boxes would £1.1m buy? Secure storage for about 1,833 bikes, instead of no security for just 280. They could be secured to existing bike racks, saving me having to tow my hypothetical box around. Money better spent IMHO. Users could secure the door using D-locks. Painted mild steel would do, welders are everywhere. Don't we still produce steel?

Can be custom steel:

When my box isn't being used for secure storage, I could sell burgers and ice cream.

Last edited:

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
Sorry if off topic but bike "places to lock" them really annoys me, where we are in Wales, NO shop has anything, Lidl, Asda you have to use the railings for the trollies, Morrisons is round the corner out of sight, Tesco NOTHING neither M and S

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Sorry if off topic but bike "places to lock" them really annoys me, where we are in Wales, NO shop has anything, Lidl, Asda you have to use the railings for the trollies, Morrisons is round the corner out of sight, Tesco NOTHING neither M and S
The newer larger branches do - as I said, I fold my bike and take in inside. Security guards don't object, provided my folded bike stays within the shopping trolley. During lockdowns, I was considering ordering via click and collect and picking my orders up using the trailer, is that an option for you? I doubt they stand outside with your order at your allotted pick up time... you'll probably have to secure your bike and trailer to something for a short period of time, to notify them of your prescence, perhaps by going into the store, triggering bringing out your order? I don't know how the "collect" part of the click and collect process operates in supermakets, another forumite might. With Screwfix I think you have to go into the store, but I don't know. I keep meaning to wheel my bike in on a trolley and asking, because it's unclear on their website. I see @egroover recently linked a big percentage discount on trailers like mine in the "bargains" thread, which is very annoying because I paid full price a couple of years ago... but they're cheap anyway, which makes it less annoying, more of an irklet.

https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/bargains.46309/page-5#post-707608

Last edited:

warlord0

Pedelecer
Jan 24, 2024
Midlands
I seem to recall someone posting about a new job and cycling to work in Milton Keynes with a similar daily charge for cycle lock up but it also had nice clean shower facilities.. google tells me the MK train station also has individual bike lockups available to rent for £68 p.a +key deposit. or 19p a day!!
Yep, start the job Monday. Lockers and showers only 100yards from the office. £288 per year, less than £1 per day, but I only need 2-3days a week.

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023

"47% of people in England aged 5 and over owned or had access to a bicycle in 2020."