Bike to work e-bike

hannah.bartholom

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 17, 2015
Trying to do 17 very hilly miles each way at speed is going to use a lot of battery capacity.

Anything with 10 or 11ah will need to be charged both ends of the journey.

You should get a round trip out of 15ah or more.
Thanks. Charging at work isn't a problem, but I think I would probably go for a bigger battery if it is within budget.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Hannah, for your £1,000 budget, 34 miles trip 3 times a week, 5,000 miles a year in all weather, not many bikes will make it. Mike63 does a similar mileage. He bought a Woosh Sirocco CD a couple of years ago, then changed it for a Kalkhoff Sahel Premium i360 last year then changed it recently and bought a Kalkhoff Tasman.
If you can afford a Kalkhoff, then go for it.
If not, the tried and tested bikes for this sort of mileage and budget are Woosh Krieger if you weigh less than 80kgs, Woosh Big Bear if you weigh more than 100kgs. There is also the new Woosh Karoo that will do that sort of mileage, but you need to be 5ft8 or taller.

Reactions: Perseus

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Thanks -they look intersting. Using bike to work I would be capped at £1000 -would I come in under this figure if I bought the battery separately?
Hannah.....there is a new scheme which has a higher limit....one of my dealers has sold a few bikes on this scheme,suggest you give him a ring and he will explain...Tom at the London Electric Bike Company....tel 07841 412199...hope that helps
He had a customer (Mike,I think) who borrowed a Kudos Rapide to do such a journey every day,he wrote a review on the bike and his comments about the viability of such a daily journey elsewhere on this forum...maybe someone could find it please.
KudosDave

hannah.bartholom

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 17, 2015
Hannah, for your £1,000 budget, 34 miles trip 3 times a week, 5,000 miles a year in all weather, not many bikes will make it. Mike63 does a similar mileage. He bought a Woosh Sirocco CD a couple of years ago, then changed it for a Kalkhoff Sahel Premium i360 last year then changed it recently and bought a Kalkhoff Tasman.
If you can afford a Kalkhoff, then go for it.
If not, the tried and tested bikes for this sort of mileage and budget are Woosh Krieger if you weigh less than 80kgs, Woosh Big Bear if you weigh more than 100kgs. There is also the new Woosh Karoo that will do that sort of mileage, but you need to be 5ft8 or taller.
Thanks, this is very helpful. I suspected I was demanding rather a lot of the money. I'll do some sums and look at the makes and models you suggest.

Cottonpickers

Pedelecer
Sep 12, 2013
I have a 2 year old Kudos Tornado and do a 13m trip each way charging both ends. I think its similar to the Rapide in many ways without the commuter friendly mudguards etc. Its great - particularly up the hills. I'll be looking at the Rapide next year if I can rejoin the scheme again and think its a good option to consider.

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
Hannah.....there is a new scheme which has a higher limit....one of my dealers has sold a few bikes on this scheme,suggest you give him a ring and he will explain...Tom at the London Electric Bike Company....tel 07841 412199...hope that helps
He had a customer (Mike,I think) who borrowed a Kudos Rapide to do such a journey every day,he wrote a review on the bike and his comments about the viability of such a daily journey elsewhere on this forum...maybe someone could find it please.
KudosDave
It might be me you're thinking of? I borrowed a Typhoon and the corresponding thread is http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/18795/ . I thought of one of your bikes when seeing the OP's brief.

Michael

Reactions: hannah.bartholom