Bike Transport

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
I for decades have had Defender 110s and for the last 14 years a Disco3-4, where I have used a plank with three and in later years two fork clamps screwed to it in the fashion of this link:

Being an engineer with access to a comprehensive workshop I made my own clamps that featured proprietary "quick release" skewers, though these days there are several of these ready made. For the last two years I use the system for an electric bike, and just as with my road bikes it works just fine.
In respect to suitable vehicles the cargo entrance height can be an issue with some high cross bar bikes and those where the saddle is not readily removable.

Chris M

Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2018
I would have thought pretty much any mid size hatch would take two bikes with the front wheel removed. The Fabia estate could but it is a particularly boring car. My gen 9 Honda Civic could and did take two ordinary bikes. I now have a gen10 Civic 1.5 which is a brilliant car, takes my bike with ease and would almost certainly cope with another one on top.
One tip. I bought a tent carpet for about £25 recently. This is light, packs well into the bag it came with and more than big enough to cover the whole of the back of the car with the seats down plus flips down over the bumper when loading bikes. This stops me getting mud and whatever else all over the back of the car.

Retired98

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 18, 2019
Just back from looking at the Berlingo, it was the 5 seater version, yes I can see it’s possible to get two bikes in, took the measurements of her Wisper with us, unfortunately she absolutely did not like it at all from the start. Afraid that’s a non starter. Plenty more to look over tomorrow and Tuesday.

Reactions: artspeck

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
I don't know the state of your health but I certainly wouldn't consider anything where the bikes have to go in horizontal. I did this for a while with two ebikes but the reaching in used to kill my back. The second bike was even worse as you have to lift it over the first one whilst reaching as far in as you can and even with a blanket in between things used to get scratched. It was always a two person job with one having to lift from inside the rear door. Sorted now with a folding tow ball rack, which was cheaper than a new car.

Retired98

Jul 18, 2019
I don't know the state of your health but I certainly wouldn't consider anything where the bikes have to go in horizontal. I did this for a while with two ebikes but the reaching in used to kill my back. The second bike was even worse as you have to lift it over the first one whilst reaching as far in as you can and even with a blanket in between things used to get scratched. It was always a two person job with one having to lift from inside the rear door. Sorted now with a folding tow ball rack, which was cheaper than a new car.
Definitely not looking to put bikes in Horizontal position, would prefer to put them in vertical with both wheels on, but if need be would consider removing front wheel,although it's a bit of a nuisance. We did get a quote for towbar fitted £560, and rack another £400 plus, but I'm not a fan of bikes on racks at all,hence looks Ng for a car / van.

Retired98

Jul 18, 2019
After a few viewings today the only conclusion we have made is a larger VW transporter type van is the best choice, but something we never gave much thought to is it will restrict us to were we go, as it will be our everyday transport we will have issues with car parks with height restrictions etc. I'm on a losing battle with the Citroen or Peugeot alternative. When we first bought E Bikes I looked at fold up bikes but the ones we saw looked poor build. Thanks for all the help and advice. For time being were just leaving things as they are, I'll keep plugging away with the Citroen, but at the moment the lady is not for turning..

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
After a few viewings today the only conclusion we have made is a larger VW transporter type van is the best choice, but something we never gave much thought to is it will restrict us to were we go, as it will be our everyday transport we will have issues with car parks with height restrictions etc. I'm on a losing battle with the Citroen or Peugeot alternative. When we first bought E Bikes I looked at fold up bikes but the ones we saw looked poor build. Thanks for all the help and advice. For time being were just leaving things as they are, I'll keep plugging away with the Citroen, but at the moment the lady is not for turning..
Perhaps the VW Caddy is a bit more Berlingo size. We have a Fiat Ducati camper and height restriction is a real pain. A lot of car parks have height restrictions. I would avoid for an only / everyday vehicle.

Retired98

Jul 18, 2019
Perhaps the VW Caddy is a bit more Berlingo size. We have a Fiat Ducati camper and height restriction is a real pain. A lot of car parks have height restrictions. I would avoid for an only / everyday vehicle.
Your right, we never considered the height issue at all. It would not be a good buy for a main vehicle at all. I'm leaving things as they are for now, I've no chance on buying the Citroen. She definitely won't entertain it. So the bikes will stay at home when we go away. Maxi Life very expensive for what they are,and no petrol version.