Bike up for replacement. Any recommendations

Leccy

Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2013
Need something that can do my commute which is 26 miles daily. Needs to be a pedelec.

Journey is fairly flat and I weigh 10 stone.

Max budget is £1k.

Preference given to supplier in my vicinity. I live near Hull/York but can commute a little further if necessary.

Bike needs to have good puncture proof tyres, mudguards and ideally integrated lights and a rack as it will be used for commuting.

Any recommendations appreciated.

Reactions: Perseus

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Southend is a little more then further :rolleyes:.

Reactions: Leccy

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
You live near The Electric Transport Shop branch in York.

Well-established retailer, so you can be reasonably sure you will be properly looked after.

A lot of their bikes are over budget, but I rate the Ebco hub drive bikes, and they have an Urban Commuter for £999.

I tried one of their Smarta bikes but was not very impressed, the power delivery was very clonky.

https://www.electricbikesales.co.uk/ebikes/URBAN-COMMUTER-UCR-30?sort=p.price&order=ASC

Leccy

Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2013
Thanks. Will that do the journey comfortably. The battery is on 8.8ah. Is that enough.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Thanks. Will that do the journey comfortably. The battery is on 8.8ah. Is that enough.
I wouldn't think 8.8AH will do the job (23 miles). You'd likely be using up the whole capacity every day, way over the 50% we would advise to preserve battery longevity. So if the battery and you together did do the journey it's likely the battery wouldn't last as long as it should.
Wilco in York have electric bikes (including ours) and you could try them. I don't think they have a Sport bike in stock at the moment but you could ask. Their bike shop details are here.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
It should do, you weigh next to nothing and as you've observed your area is known to be among the flattest in the country.

Presumably you are already pedelec ebiking, so will have some bike fitness and be used to putting in some effort.

Reactions: JuicyBike

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
It should do, you weigh next to nothing and as you've observed your area is known to be among the flattest in the country.

Presumably you are already pedelec ebiking, so will have some bike fitness and be used to putting in some effort.
Agreed - 8.8AH should do that journey. But lifespan may be reduced. For clarity, you should still expect 3 years of use.

Reactions: RobF

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Agreed - 8.8AH should do that journey. But lifespan may be reduced. For clarity, you should still expect 3 years of use.
As you say, the battery will be all but flattened each day which will tend to wear it out faster.

A Juicy Sport with a 12ah battery is on budget and would give a useful bit of headroom for the commute, as well as not thrashing the battery to the same extent.

Reactions: timidtom and Leccy

Leccy

Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2013
As you say, the battery will be all but flattened each day which will tend to wear it out faster.

A Juicy Sport with a 12ah battery is on budget and would give a useful bit of headroom for the commute, as well as not thrashing the battery to the same extent.
Thanks Rob. This comes in at well over £1,000 which is over my budget. I can save some more if need be but would prefer to buy in budget of possible.

Is this the normal price for a 12ah or are there better options?

Again prefer a locally accessible company for repairs/issues. I noticed Halfords are selling ebikes. Are theirs any good or am I better of staying away.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
for a commuting bike, you will always be better off with a big motor and big battery.

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Need something that can do my commute which is 26 miles daily.
Bike needs to have good puncture proof tyres, mudguards and ideally integrated lights and a rack as it will be used for commuting.
26 miles daily is a big ask, more so on the body and spirit than on the bike, I would think.

Unless you absolutely need bicycle transport for your commute, I would suggest a light electric scooter or even one with an i.c. engine for that kind of daily demand, particularly given the requirements you have stated.

You will find some within your budget which are eminently capable of that sort of commute.

Tom

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Thanks Rob. This comes in at well over £1,000 which is over my budget. I can save some more if need be but would prefer to buy in budget of possible.

Again prefer a locally accessible company for repairs/issues. I noticed Halfords are selling ebikes. Are theirs any good or am I better of staying away.
Just to be clear you say your commute is '26 miles daily' which I take to mean 13 miles each way.

That would be about an hour on the bike each way. which is plenty but still doable on an ebike.

Particularly if it's on relatively flat, open roads on which you can bowl along without interruption.

Juicy Sport Lite is £899 + £99 for a battery upgrade.

https://www.juicybike.co.uk/electric-bikes/sport-lite

Leccy

Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2013
26 miles daily is a big ask, more so on the body and spirit than on the bike, I would think.

Unless you absolutely need bicycle transport for your commute, I would suggest a light electric scooter or even one with an i.c. engine for that kind of daily demand, particularly given the requirements you have stated.

You will find some within your budget which are eminently capable of that sort of commute.

Tom
Can you link to something you'd recommend?

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
My Kudos Rapide,ex demo bike,is on special offer at £1033.00,normal price £1395.00. It is a very high spec bike....BPM-CST motor,Tektro hydraulic brakes,Samsung 10,4 Ah downtube mounted battery,30-speed Shimano Deore gears,LED lights front and rear,SKS polycarb mudguards,King display.
An ideal commuter bike,only 1 available.
KudosDave

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
There is a Juicy Bike discount code that is available for Pedelec members, which comes and goes according to the season.
At the moment (at the start of the winter months and normally quiet for bike sales) it's switched on and will stay on until later...
BUT, unlike during "normal" seasons we currently have a lot of bikes in stock all configured with full speed throttles, and my understanding is these can be sold and ridden legally. So we are experiencing higher than usual sales as the full speed throttle is a popular option for many.
Should the law become suddenly clearer and I find that is not the case, then it takes just 5 seconds to restrict the throttle to become "walk-assist" mode - no screwdriver needed!
So this year it's likely we'll be switching the code off sooner.
The discount code is used at the checkout and currently gives 10% It will then decline in value as sales pick up during the year. It is only available via our website and not at any retail store. Register at the website and then simply add the word Pedelecs at the checkout.
So, it's true: there is never any harm in asking and I hope that answers your question Leccy.

Leccy

Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2013
Thanks. What's the discount code? Do you deliver to my local store to set up or is this direct delivery to me?

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Thanks. What's the discount code? Do you deliver to my local store to set up or is this direct delivery to me?
Hi Leccy - The code is Pedelecs and delivery would be direct to you if you want it within two days (subject to being in stock of course). We would have to ask your local stockist first just how quickly they can have the bike ready for you.

I am away from the UK right now on a factory visit (8 hours + GMT) and about to knock-off for the day. It's probably best to email uksales@juicybike.com for any further questions during the next few days.

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Can you link to something you'd recommend?
Leccy, I suggest but hesitate to recommend motorcycles or scooters as this forum is really about EAPCs. Your commute, however, places quite a demand on rider and machine which could become more than a little dispiriting after a time, particularly during spells of inclement weather.

Your journey time would be considerably shortened using a lightweight motorcycle or scooter and in eco terms, those small-engined petrol machines don't damage the planet very much. There are some electric models around too, the best ones similarly priced to high-end EAPCs and the cheaper ones from c£500-£1000, typically. At that budget end, some may not handle your commute comfortably, if at all.

You might want to check out ebay and Amazon as there are some dealers who advertise their bikes on those sites and we're not talking fly-by-night, quick buck dealers (there are some though!) as some of the sellers have physical premises you can visit and they have been in business for a long time. There are certainly some cheap machines with sufficient luggage capacity to enable commuting or utility usage which wouldn't break the bank, given your budget....well, maybe a little!

The comfort and less demanding ride offered by these light motorcycles and scooters seems to me more appropriate for such a time-consuming, all-weather commute as you face and is probably a price worth paying.

All the best,

Tom

Reactions: Perseus and Leccy

Leccy

Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2013
Tom. You've really got me thinking now. Was close to pushing the button on the juicy bike with the discount code but I'm now having second thoughts about it. Will check out your recommendations.