Bike upgrade advice needed!

donkeykong

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 29, 2015
Hello, it's been 6 years since I came on here and bought (following recommendations) my first e-bike - A Kudos Stealth. It has served me well, but is starting to look a bit tired, so I am in the market for an upgrade. One thing I did not like about the Stealth is that it does not handle bumps very well. I live on top of a hill and going downhill is the worst part - it's so bumpy it feels like my organs are rattling! Also, I did change the chain ring on my Stealth so that is had less teeth which helped on hills!

So, in a nutshell, I'm looking for a new e-bike (budget up to £3K, but preferably lower!), that will get me up that steep hill (I am 17 stone) and has a smooth ride downhill. There's so many choices on the market these days (unlike 6 years ago!), so I was hoping that someone could steer me in the right direction. Range isn't an issue, as my commute is 2 miles each way (but with 600 feet decline then 600 feet incline on the way back). I don't anticipate going on longer rides.

Thanks in advance!

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
There are some bargains in the flash sale at Leon Cycles. Their bikes use 48v, so much better torque for climbing than 36v hub-motored bikes. I had a go on the Moscow a few years back. The lasting impression was that it was extremely sure-footed on the road and a very comfortable riding position. I don't remember any discomfort from bumbing or anything like that, and it was de-restricted, so I was going pretty fast.
Just to make it clear to anyone that reads this and is interested in derestriction, it's not so simple on the latest models. it needs either a new LCD at around £100 for a direct replacement; or less for one with a different connector, in which case, you'd need to cut the connectors off and join the wires; or replace the controller and LCD for better ones that cost around £80.

Last edited:

simonbarnett

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 26, 2007
West Hampstead, NW London
There are some bargains in the flash sale at Leon Cycles. Their bikes use 48v, so much better torque for climbing than 36v hub-motored bikes. I had a go on the Moscow a few years back. The lasting impression was that it was extremely sure-footed on the road and a very comfortable riding position. I don't remember any discomfort from bumbing or anything like that, and it was de-restricted, so I was going pretty fast.
Just to make it clear to anyone that reads this and is interested in derestriction, it's not so simple on the latest models. it needs either a new LCD at around £100 for a direct replacement; or less for one with a different connector, in which case, you'd need to cut the connectors off and join the wires; or replace the controller and LCD for better ones that cost around £80.
Good shout Saneagle - one of the 48v ones (624wh which is quite big) is a fat bike with tyres to cope with his journey bumps for only £900 so 1/3 of budget.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
A little bit over your range £3350 Canyon Neuron:ON 6
Top line shimano motor, reasonable fork and shock, decent brakes. Basically all the kit is stuff you've heard of.

Or
Decathlon Stilus E-AM for a little bit more -£3700(the gld one)
Top line Bosch performance CX. Good fork/shock, very good wheels,excellent brakes rest of the kit is good quality too.
Screenshot-2023-02-21-at-14.30.39-1536x1130.png

full_2022_neuron-on-6_3121_tq-tq_P5.png

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Last edited:

Brik

Pedelecer
May 11, 2023
West Midlands
I've been looking at the Gazelle Ultimate 380, a little over 3k but you get belt drive ...

• Agree
Reactions: AndyBike

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
And an afterthought if he wants he could add rear suspension via a Thudbuster ST, but needs to move fast if it’s a flash sale.
Yes, suspension seatpost should improve comfort immediately. Suntour should be around 3 times cheaper than Thudbuster.

3k bike for 2 mile commute is an overkill, but for sure better than car.