Bike which will take rear child seat?

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
Why not get a couple of trailers? They aren't that much more expensive than good child seats and more versatile (mine doubles up as a grocery trailer) and also much nicer to ride with than a high seat unbalancing the bike (and front child seats are awful imho).

I got a Spokey Joe from Tesco and it's great.

Jason Scott

Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2014
We're not that keen on trailers - feels like they'd be too vulnerable. When looking at the rack mounted child seats I note they use their own pannier rack which usually has some sort of slide in mechanism, so I guess you can't just clip the seats to any rack.

I've been emailing Woosh as well and they're helping to find out what would work best.

Last edited:

thewomble

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 5, 2013
Hi Jason

My first post on the forum though I've been lurking for months.

I have the same concerns as I take my rapidly growing 3 year old to nursery on the bike every day. I've not yet bought an EBike as I have the same child seat issue.

It seems to me we need to balance a couple of issues:
1. Position of battery - Rear carrier or under seat post won't work for rear child seat as far as I can tell.
2. Front bike seats are bad news when your child starts to grow as your child won't fit.
3. Weight distribution. My little one is now 17KG. So 17KG on the back ideally mean I need to an Ebike with bottle holder battery. Ideally a front wheel drive bike would be better as well.

For me the ideal would be something like the Whoosh Big Bear but with a bottle battery rather than rear carrier. Whoosh Sport CD looks close as well though but this would mean enormous weight to the rear of the bike (bike seat & drive mechanism).

Keep us informed how you get on with Hatti & Whoosh.

Jason Scott

Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2014
The Sirocco 2 should work with a rear rack mounted seat, although I'm not personally as keen on the design (I love the look of the Sports CD).

Jason Scott

Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2014
Tony from Woosh Bikes was very helpful and checked a local Halfords for the types of fittings. He suggested the same multifix bracket as Trex, so that's one option. Although we might need some bar extenders to raise the seat up from the battery.

Another alternative I've just seen, which I'll ask Woosh about, is this Hamax carrier mount which they've said helps with the increasing number of eBikes. I just need to check how much weight the rear rack on the Big Bear can take.

Thanks to everyone it looks like we have options and we may be joining the eBike fratentity on a couple Woosh bikes soon!

Another link to the Hamax site showing the carrier mount (check the videos): http://www.hamax.com/child-bike-seat/caress-collection/caress-with-carrier-adapter#

Last edited:

pea

Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2012
There's an article on the home page about a family that ditched their car, they have momentum bikes with a seat on the rear and even a one on the front.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Reactions: thewomble

Jason Scott

Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2014
The Momentum looks interesting but perhaps not for hilly Plymouth. I guess all front facing seats need a flat crossbar?

Jason Scott

Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2014
On the reserved list for a couple Big Bears and was going to go for the Hamax carrier adapter, but reading the warranty, it's void if you carry more than 5kg on the rear rack. So I might end up getting the Sport CD and a regulars free hanging rear seat. Out of the two of us I can put in more pedal assistance so it might work out for the best. It's only a short commute (5 miles round trip per day) and mostly downhill on return journey so 9ah batt would be fine.

The Sport CD isn't listed in the online shop though...

thewomble

Nov 5, 2013
Thanks for the info Jason. I'm not too bad at cycling also so did consider the momentum as well. For the moment I'm siding with the whoosh sport as well but I'm going to test ride some bikes first to get a feel for the different drive mechanisms. Not easy to test for me as I'm in North Scotland. Best of luck with your choice.

Gruff

Jul 19, 2013
Have you looked at the Weeride? It fits on to the crossbar and they guarantee it will fit your child up to 4ys of age. I have one fitted to my Specialized MTB and it's great - my son is safe between my arms and within my centre of gravity, and has a good view as we go. The drawback is you have to cycle with your knees sticking out a bit, but it's not a big deal.

I haven't tried the Weeride on my Burisch yet as I'd probably leave the rest of the family behind!

Chainring

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
It was because of all these problems that Tora Harris went on this route:
http://www.juicedriders.com/story/ I have found another on Alibaba. I don't know if they are in direct competition.
http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/New-cargo-electric-bike_202680843.html
Any dealers on here have any interest in a bike like this? CyclEzee seem to have the most practical bikes, plus their ride across part of Australia shows their attitude towards bike travel. My thoughts on modifying my Woosh Santana came to nought, so I will keep looking.
http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Cargo-electric-bike_1843518049.html

C

Cyclezee

In addition to the el Mundo and Expedir, eZee also now have a versatile compact cargo/utility bike called the i-omega with 20" wheels that could easily take a child seat.
i-omega 020@0.jpg
i-omega 026@0.jpg

Chainring

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Yes, I like the look of that, but no 3 speed? Difficult start-off if you get caught in top gear with a load on. That was the appeal for me, for the ones I've found, plus the very low step frame. What is the price of this, please? I tried your site.

C

Cyclezee

Yes, I like the look of that, but no 3 speed? Difficult start-off if you get caught in top gear with a load on. That was the appeal for me, for the ones I've found, plus the very low step frame. What is the price of this, please? I tried your site.
Hi Chainring,
With the powerful eZee motor there is no need for tripple chain set and if you get caught in a high gear it is just a case of using the throttle to get you going.

We don't have the i-omega in stock, so I can't give a price right now.

If it's a low stepthru that you want then the Expedir LTS is the one to go for.

C

Cyclezee

In addition to the el Mundo and Expedir, eZee also now have a versatile compact cargo/utility bike called the i-omega with 20" wheels that could easily take a child seat.
View attachment 9898
View attachment 9899
The model shown is a prototype, on the production model the rear carrier is 100mm longer, the gears are 9 speed derailleur and will have lights powered by the bikes's battery.
UK price will be in the region of £1500 with a 36v 15Ah battery.