BikeBiz story about eBikes.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Just try taking a large firm like Bosch to court on a dodgy warranty claim.
They will run you around ragged with loads of solicitors letters, each which will require your solicitor to reply to, all at your expense.
They will drag it out for years. All the time you are without a bike and legal costs are in vertical ascent.
And if you should lose, you pay the costs.
Drive a coach and horses through it?
Dream on, they will employ the best lawyers available, stitch you up a treat and drive you into the ground, if not bankruptcy.

Reactions: oldtom
They will run you around ragged with loads of solicitors letters, each which will require your solicitor to reply to, all at your expense.
They will drag it out for years. All the time you are without a bike and legal costs are in vertical ascent.
Dream on, they will employ the best lawyers available, stitch you up a treat and drive you into the ground, if not bankruptcy.
also for anyone riding a dongled bike.... check with any lawyer what would happen should you be involved in an accident riding it, even if it's not your fault.

You won't stand a chance against any legal term and should it be a serious accident - check who'll pay your mortgage for you, or cover your costs if you can't work.

I know its scaremongering, but its also fact. As soon as you get on a bike its a risk, people are knocked off everyday, and if you're riding an illegal bike.... is it really worth the risk??

Reactions: Crockers and oldtom

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Making a warranty claim against a supplier isn't always simple, as I once discovered when taking a garage to court over a faulty and substandard vehicle that I rejected after a very short period of ownership.

I had to take the supplying garage to court, the importer to court, the finance company to court, and the manufacturer to court. Each had two solicitors, plus a barrister for each company, each had their own independent assessor, and I had to have the same. The case took five years to come to court, my life and that of my family was put on hold for five years, and just my ongoing expenses pretty much ruined us.
Day one of the court case saw a complete disaster, and I'm not afraid to admit that I sat at home in tears. Day two, the judge ordered a pre court meeting, and reprimanded all in the court room, and then politely suggested that they made amends to me without going any further. I had 'kind of' won the day, but it still wasn't finished. A high court sheriff then had to become involved to get what was due to me back, and even then one of the companies was made dormant in an attempt to prevent payment. I never received any interest on the money spent, nor compensation.

The court case was in 1998, and according to my solicitor at that time, just the first day had cost the best part of £250,000.00. If I'd lost, I certainly don't believe that I would be sitting here writing this now. As it was, I had spent out 15K over the five year period. Money that I didn't have when just starting to set up a family, and I certainly wouldn't go through it again.

You imagine all of the above translated to an electric bicycle that had been modified to be used outside of it's design parameters, and it would be a very stupid person who would want to risk making that claim when or if things go wrong.

The only possible exception to the above in respect of warranty claims, could be if buying from Martin at E-Bike Shop, with his at time of writing this and prior to, apparently misleading sales pitch and advertising. I guess if your pockets are deep enough, you could screw E-Bike Shop to the wall, and rightly so. That is unless he is just paying for warranty work himself, and leaves it at that. He has been asked frequently enough about the subject, but has always refused to answer. Any claim still wouldn't wash with Bosch though, as their terms and conditions are clear enough on the subject of what they term "tuning device" meaning dongle.

If you were to be involved in an accident, and the bike was proved to be fitted with a dongle, then you might just as well potentially wave your house goodbye, or possibly watch that you don't drop the soap in the shower. In the case of buying a new bike fitted with a dongle, then unless through some exceptional circumstance of luck, then the supplying dealer might just as well wave goodbye to their house as well. Good luck with that one Martin.

Copied from E-Bike Shops web site page about dongles 03rd November 2015

"Details

Our tuning dongles remove the 15mph speed cut off point on all Bosch powered eBikes.

Works with all Bosch Model Years : 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2016 on. This can only be purchased with one of of own eBikes. We will include fitting within the price. If you would like one, please add this kit and your bike to the basket together. We will then fit the wiring harness prior to the eBike leaving our workshop. We do not supply this kit for 3rd party bikes.

Please Note: This product is only available to customers who purchased their bike direct from us. This part is held in stock and is available to our customers for a quick and convenient solution. We do not supply this product to those who have bought their bikes from others.

To find out more why we don't supply parts or provide support for bikes not purchased from us please read the appropriate question on our F.A.Q page here.

The ADD TO CART button will appear to pre-approved customers when logged in. If this doesn't appear and you purchased your bike direct from us please email us with a copy of your bike purchase receipt & we will add you to our approved customer list.

Once fitted it doubles the cut off speed. It can also be used with the Bosch S pedelec motors as it works in the same way. The dongle can be easily unplugged whenever necessary to revert the bike back to normal.

The display will read the wrong mph, when the dongle is operating the speed and anything related to speed is halved, so it has to be doubled for a true reading. It's simple, if it says you are going 10mph then you are actually going 20mph. As soon as it's unplugged the speed readout will revert back to normal.

Please Note: We use reference to Bosch in the sense that this will fit our Bosch powered eBikes. This product is not manufactured, produced or endorsed by Bosch themselves.

By going over the 15mph cut off these dongles are FOR OFF ROAD (PRIVATE LAND) USE ONLY!"

There are several questionable points above, but I'd say that the last paragraph is enough to show that the dealer is intentionally misleading customers, and should be enough to make them legally accountable.

Another very questionable point is his organised e-mtb club rides. I've read mention that a percentage of the participants are using dongles. Assuming that to be true, then there is a legal minefield waiting to explode.

Comments about removing dongles for use at organised events etc, don't wash either. Who is expected to police this, and why should they. For an event organiser, a blanket ban is the only safe option. If that happens, and it will if something doesn't change, then that is the start of the end.

Last edited:

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
Phewwwww.. hey eddie, there was me thinking martin wasn`t on your Christmas card list ;)

"EddiePJ: I feel that he is one the most honest,enthusiastic & passionate dealers that I have seen."

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
So what is the problem with dealers selling dongles and stating that they are for..... 'Off road (Private land) use only'... ?
Because i cannot see a problem with that.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Phewwwww.. hey eddie, there was me thinking martin wasn`t on your Christmas card list ;)

"EddiePJ: I feel that he is one the most honest,enthusiastic & passionate dealers that I have seen."
That bugs the crap out of me every time that I see one of his posts.

Conveniently quoted a very long time ago in my naivety, much like the customers that he is supplying dongle's to. Despite formal request, he has refused to remove that comment from his signature. I can't argue that he is enthusiastic or passionate about making money, but just based upon his actions and website, honest he isn't.

My opinion is that he is currently a dealer hell bent on destroying the e-mtb scene before it has even had a chance to flourish, and is putting short term profit, over long term gain. That doesn't come across quite so well on a profile signature though, but I guess that I could make my own.

So what is the problem with dealers selling dongles and stating that they are for..... 'Off road (Private land) use only'... ?
Because i cannot see a problem with that.
That is the trap that he wants you to fall into.

It is a very convenient and misleading choice of wording. At the minimum, it should read Private land, with no public rights of way or access.

A world apart from what he has written, and is claiming.

Last edited:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Thanks for clearing that up EddiePJ I was wondering what the hell was going on and in a pea-souper of a fog about your relationship with that person but hey! you got fog season too! :D

Reactions: EddiePJ

robdon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 5, 2013
Seems to me KTM BIKES ad EddiePJ are trying to destroy Martin`s bussiness, probably hoping to gain from it.

MARTIN is one of the most honest dealers on the forum, i notice he takes no part in this disgraceful discussion.

ROB

Reactions: nmsraider

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
Right lets get a few facts straight.
I said I could drive coach and horses through the wording as it had been written. Mind you the real wording and translation made me grin....
Secondly - for a emtb I would go through the small claims court so no loads of solicitors etc etc.
Thirdly. I actually agree with KTMs stance, I just picked up on the wordings.

LEBC Tom

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2013
Hampton Wick, KT1 4DA
Seems to me KTM BIKES ad EddiePJ are trying to destroy Martin`s bussiness, probably hoping to gain from it.

MARTIN is one of the most honest dealers on the forum, i notice he takes no part in this disgraceful discussion.

ROB
This isnt about a witch hunt after Martin at the ebike shop, it's a much more troubling issue then I think most of you realise. On a weekly basis I have people coming in with either a request of what they think is legal or bring in an illegal ebike. Two particular people come to mind, the young lad with his 2000w hub driven chinese bike that had brakes that wouldnt stop a feather on wheels and the 1000w kit from a guy who for a living was a Health and Safety officer. But speed is sexy and sex sells and even when faced with the facts that anything over above what we all know an ebike should do there are those that just do not give two hoots to who buys what. Its disgraceful that for some reason some on here who I think are extremely well educated seem to ignore the facts.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
ROB
You are partially correct. I'd love to see the side of Maritn's business that is currently selling of dongles destroyed. The remainder is up to Martin, but if he has any sense, then he will see that by stopping the promoting of dongles for e-mtb use and the selling of, he would actually be encouraging growth, not destroying it. Something that I'm sure that everyone would love to see.

If as you incorrectly say, I were to be trying to destroy his business, I certainly wouldn't loose any sleep over it. The reason and at the risk of repeating myself, is that myself and every other e-mtb user would gain from it, as it would be one less dealer selling dongles, which are currently more than likely to destroy both my hobby and passion of riding an e-mtb, on public or permitted land, both organised and privately.

As any concerned end user should be doing, I have sent emails to various companies and trading standards, voicing my concerns and listing the reasons. Those companies include Lapierre, Cube, Scott, Haibike, Yamaha, and Bosch. As Lapierre, Scott, Haibike and Yamaha are currently choosing not to act/reply (poxy online contact enquiry forms instead of direct email), I as a concerned end user am not not going to sit on my backside and see nothing done.
I'm sure that there are loads of dealers doing just as Martin, but as I don't know who, then I can't bring them into this. I would if I could.

Last edited:

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
Because 'wink wink' that does not happen.
Then complain about irresponsible ebike owners using a dongle where they shouldn't.... dont complain about people legitimately selling dongles.
My motorcycle will easily do twice the national speed limit.... are you going to whinge about Yamaha selling a bike that does this speed ?
Its reckless bikers that should be targeted, not the seller of the vehicle.

Reactions: nmsraider

LEBC Tom

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2013
Hampton Wick, KT1 4DA
Then complain about irresponsible ebike owners using a dongle where they shouldn't.... dont complain about people legitimately selling dongles.
My motorcycle will easily do twice the national speed limit.... are you going to whinge about Yamaha selling a bike that does this speed ?
Completely missing the point, these are bicycles first and foremost not motorbikes. Bit like herion, nip the supplier in the bud and the crime rate goes down.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
My motorcycle will easily do twice the national speed limit....

id take it back as not fast enough or stick a car turbo on it.

:cool:

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
Well i dont see selling dongles as a big deal..... and its not the only way to derestrict an ebike anyway.
On my hybrid with a kit fitted, i find 15.5 mph enough, but thats because i'm mainly on canal paths, cycle paths & tracks where there are pedestrians around..... but a young, fit, irresponsible guy with an unassisted bike could easily go faster than that.
A lot of people aren't happy with this 15.5 mph limit, so there will always be those that will try to get more speed...... as i shall be doing myself when i buy a road ebike.
The responsibility is where to use speed, whether its on an ebike or an unassisted bike.

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
dont complain about people legitimately selling dongles.
In a perfect world:
The only way they can do this is explain the warranty implications and to have the buyer sign a declaration that they will use the bike on private land only. This declaration would protect the seller and help procecute a law breaker if and when.

In real life:
Nudge, nudge, wink, wink ;-)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

;)

As an industry we are looking for best practice from our retailers and at least honestly about the products use.

Adding a dongle to an Ebike means it is no longer legally classed as a bicycle and no longer CE certified, so can't be sold by a responsible seller and can't be used by a responsible user.

It's not like buying a fast motorbike, because a shop can legally sell a fast motorbike and you can legally use a fast motorbike. An Ebike sold with a dongle does not conform to trading standards law and we've found no where in Europe they can really be legally used.

Compare it to a racing motorbike that's for tracks only, ie one you can't use on the road, with no tax, no mot and no insurance. That's what they are like.

So proper bike shops should not be selling them if they want the Ebike industry in the uk to survive.

The good news is Cube have called me and back this 100%, and the director of Scott Uk is calling me on Monday, so it's really just haibike left.

There are close to 50 Ebike shops who are currently chatting via email about a joint letter / agreement to support a professional stance on this matter and try to make sure customers are given the correct information.

Hopefully progress is being made.

Last edited: