Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Only for some one to park a large obsatcle int he way:(

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire
On my first ever visit to the Netherlands, my exhaust fell off as I entered our destination (Rijnsberg). I pulled over off the main carriageway to effect a temporary repair, onto what I now know is the cyclepath. I believe I experienced my first Dutch expletives; the couple of cyclists who passed whilst I was there were not impressed.
Of course, I wouldn't do such a thing now...

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Often when riding through Wadebridge, which is on the Camel Trail & therefor has quite sensible bike lanes, I come accross cars & vans parked on said lane.
Obviously, I have to pull out round them, but who has right of way in that manoeuvre? Do I have to wait until the main carriageway is clear, or signal & move out, just as in passing a parked vehicle in normal circimstances?

rsyme

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2013
Co.Wexford, Ireland
These are great where the carriageway is wide enough for two vehicles to pass each other -- where the road is a bit narrow they are Bl**dy dangerous forcing vehicles to swerve one way and then the other -- bikes in the lane are thus in danger from swerving lorries. I don't think these actually add to biking safety at all!!!

bazwaldo

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2010
Something I dislike in my area is the "traffic calming" where a dual lane road has been narrowed and funnelled into 1 lane with arrow signs showing whose right of way it is, usually they alternate each way.
I believe this is inherently dangerous to funnel cars into a potential head on collision situation.
I wonder if insurance statistics show these "safety" measures cause more accidents than they prevent?

Barry.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
The "calming" island recently installed at the entrance to our speed limit is on the only bend in an otherwise straight country road.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I didn't like traffic calming measures.

Then I bought an ebike.