BionX Carrera

C

Cyclezee

This is my latest bike which I have just finished putting together. It comprises a slightly used BionX PL350 36v Li-ion Kit which I have installed on a Carrera Vulcan MTB.

Installation was fairly straightforward and I have tried to make it as neat as possible, but a BionX is never going to be stealth machine.
Performance is excellent, much better than any other hub motor pedelec bike I have ridden and the thumb throttle gives quite a boost if and when you need it.
The regenerative braking seems weird at first and I'm sure it will only make a small contribution to recharging the battery, but clever non the less.

I really want to fit a prop/kickstand, but where and how I'm not sure. Centre mounting is out as there is no space, rear frame mounting is a problem as the chainstay is square section and I don't like the idea of hub mounting as I feel it would be too far back and put strain on the hub. I anyone has any suggestions, I would like to hear them please.

I would also like to hear from other BionX owners regarding their experiences.

Some photos.
BionX 1.jpgBionX 2.jpgBionX Console.jpg

J:) hn

Last edited by a moderator:

Nick

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
Hello John

Just a quickie. I like the bike, but then I would - http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/55-review-my-bionx-pl-350-a.html and Nick and Jo :)

I've had my Bionx for 3 years now I think it is, and done about 5000 miles - for various reasons, my mileage has dropped off over the last couple of years I'm afraid. My wife bought one a year or so ago and we're both really pleased with every aspect of them.

Interesting comment about the Bionx not being stealthy - only compared to a Cytronex I'd have thought?

Good luck with yours, and shout if there's anything specific you think I may be able to help with.

Cheers
Nick

C

Cyclezee

Hi Nick,

Thanks for responding, good to know there are other BionX riders in the UK and that you are pleased with them. Your review is excellent.
I take your point about stealth, In a way, I quite like the fact BionX isn't trying to hide fact that it's electric.

I may well have some questions for you in due course.

C

Cyclezee

After a few modifications, I have fitted a rear frame mounting Pletscher Multizoom kickstand.

BionX Kickstand.jpg

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's neat John. Despite being by the rear wheel it should be completely stable due to the motor weight at that point. On stealth, I think BionX equipped bikes are quietly discreet in their own way, and a couple of large depth panniers can make the motor mostly disappear from view.

Tell me, when you go out riding, do you know in advance what bike you're going to use, or do have a few moments of indecision as you arrive at your private bike showroom. :D

C

Cyclezee

It's a case of horses for courses Tony, I'm considering calling my garage a stable or if you like scude-ria:rolleyes:

I'm thinking I am at the point of downsizing, something has to go and the chhoice could be Ezee:p

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm thinking I am at the point of downsizing, something has to go and the chhoice could be Ezee:p

It's a tough call, but I've managed it twice and now down to one, the Q bike.

I like that situation in a way since it shows no favour to any particular marque since although eZee based, no-one makes anything like it. I'm sure if I bought a proprietary model, some bias could be read into that.

Maybe a BikeTech Flyer T8HS or Street 26" wouldn't upset too many makers/importers. :)

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
Excellent job. The cabling on your bike looks very neat and tidy. I can't even see cable ties. Thinking about it the ducting/trunking would have spoilt it - especially as the bike is blue.