BionX

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Yep....see what you mean

so if the HT 250 watt kit is £1400'ish these bikes look good value, with the E cross @ £1500

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
Yep....see what you mean

so if the HT 250 watt kit is £1400'ish these bikes look good value, with the E cross @ £1500
Plus cost of import :rolleyes:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
Its only postage from Europe? no other costs......
Prices from xe.com

erace = Eur2399 = £2142
ecross = Eur2199 = £1964
efun (not the battery config you want) = Eur1999 = £1785

add £100-£150 shipping

Not so much of a bargain and would be way cheaper to buy the kit from the states inc shipping, vat & duty.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Oops!......I fink I made a bo bo with the exchange rate:(

I was probably going to pick one up from the Belgian dealer so no postage...not such a good deal now

I have emailed Andrew re the HT kit and have seen a Trek 7.3 FX (nearly new) what do you think?

Last edited:

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
I have emailed Andrew re the HT kit and have seen a Trek 7.3 FX (nearly new) what do you think?
I've to return a call to Andrew. The Trek FX has the 250w non-HT motor, so that is a non starter, also the battery is too low capacity, making it a non-starter for me. The most expensive trek comes with the 250HT at £1800, but I've not seen one in the flesh to prove it's specification, the battery is unchanged - back to the drawing board.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I thought the HT had the 10 amp battery:confused: Both in frame and rack style same capacity...No?

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
I thought the HT had the 10 amp battery:confused: Both in frame and rack style same capacity...No?
I think what has happened is that Trek have commissioned a lightweight battery (40.7v/6.4Ah/260wh) to keep the weight of the bike down, it stil feels like a 25+Kg bike.

The best specs I have found so far are here TREK T80+ 2010 :: £1800.00 :: BIKES :: Electric Bikes :: CHEVIN CYCLES Otley UK. this shows the 250HT motor, specs for the other Trek's show the 250 motor.

My LBS has the 2009 Trek 7.3 with 250 on the motor, I would assume the HT motor would have 250HT printed on it, the battery is as above and is written in the manual as such.

What is confusing when you look at the BionX website is that they list the HT motor with the 37v/10ah battery, the rack version of this battery fills the plastic case, the 6.4ah battery runs half the length of the plastic case and that is what the Trek has (44 cells apparently).

Given the fact that Bionx only like their kits to be officially built by high end bike shops/manufacturers and will not supply lower end LBS with kit only means that Trek probably work very closely with Bionx to work out their requirements, this is also borne out given that Trek bikes will soon be supplied with the new Bionx IGH3 3speed 250HT hub motors Bike Europe - News: BionX Launches Hub Motor with Integrated 3-speed I guess this mainly caters for the European requirement for low maintenance, easy to use, short journey commuter bikes.

Unfortunately this still leaves me wanting a 250HT or 350 with 10ah battery.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
"Unfortunately this still leaves me wanting a 250HT or 350 with 10ah battery."

Same here, But to me the beauty of BoniX system is the battery placement in the frame. its what sets it apart. and wisper are striving for a similar arrangement with there kit.if the battery is over the back wheel I may as well stick with a Wisper.

a 7.3 is around 25 lb? approx 11.3 kg, so bike and kit should be well under 20kg

not sure what bike the T80 is based on, its not a 7.3 as that is black. while I wait for Andrew to come back on this...do you think his kits are from Europe? if they are, they will probably not have a throttle:confused:

Nick

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
I've only had a quick look through this thread I'm afraid, but mine is the Bionx review linked to on the first page. I can only speak from experience and have had no problems at all (quite the reverse) in dealing with NyceWheels in New York. The kit is expensive but very easy to fit and works a treat.

If I were to buy again now, I'd either do the same or perhaps go for a Cytronex as they look pretty funky and are praised here.

That's not to detract from the European sellers, who must certainly be worth looking at.

Good luck!