Birdy Electric

BigG

Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2016
Co Durham
I have been researching folding electric bikes after my brief ownership of a Brompton Electric which was returned to Brompton.
When researching I came across the Riese Müller Birdy.... ok it might be a rather twee name but having had a car called Yeti and now have a Karoq, having a strange name doesn’t put me off, if it’s engineered properly!
Ok back to the plot.... has anyone on the forum had experience of a Birdy? I’m going to try to find one to try out, which might be difficult as they are made to order, but the thing which concerns me, apart from the price, it the rather strange looking parallelogram front suspension system.... it looks as if it may be a weak point?
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Electric Birdy never made it past prototype. There have been a few after market conversions but they are very rare. Unless I’ve missed something!

Lots of Brompton conversions if you didn’t get on with the official one. Was there a underlying problem?

BigG

Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2016
Co Durham
They now do 0062A6C1-67E7-453E-A3DE-ED3302526D8E.png0062A6C1-67E7-453E-A3DE-ED3302526D8E.pngmake an electric Birdy. The problem with the Brompton was the motor kept switching off and back on going uphill. It went back, we are lead to believe,for a new motor and controller ...... it came back worse than ever!

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
I don’t think that bike is electric.

Reactions: LeighPing

BigG

Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2016
Co Durham
Oops! Perhaps researching at 3:00 a.m. while dosed up with Morphine (prescribed) isn’t such a good idea!
I was sure I’d seen a review on a Birdy with a Bionz rear hub motor... The review even commented on the size of the battery bag, then saw the picture on my post in the electric bike section of the e-bike store... looked at the prices and presumed at prices up to approx £3400 they must be electric.
You have saved me a trip to the shop..thank you.
Having taken the Birdy off the list, in the spring I will look seriously at the Sparticle conversion fitted by Electric Bike Sales at their York branch and the Tern Vektron from Cycle Heaven who I know from experience offer fantastic service.

Kurtdk

Just Joined
May 2, 2019
Hi
I have several Birdys and some Bromptons .
Actually an Electric Birdy you refer too was discontinued in 2013 I think. But no to Worre thet just developed a New one search youtube for electric birdy And you Will find 1 test drive in Taiwan and another one from eurobike 2018
here is link to test drive

Cheers Kurt

Reactions: LeighPing

Kurtdk

Just Joined
May 2, 2019
Just an Update me bad its just a bespoke Birdy ising the Zehus conversion kit but I would say range is comparable to ebrompton
Srr
Kurt

BigG

Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2016
Co Durham
Many thanks for the information Kurt. In fact I have ordered another Electric Brompton.

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
This thread seems to have neen resolved, but I'll add my thoughts about the Birdy. It's a superb machine, inasmuch as the ride is vastly superior to the Brompton. Larger wheels and full suspension see to that. It really is a delight to ride. However, the fold is vastly inferior to the Brompton and you end up with a significantly wider package once folded. Horses for courses really, but, if it's an arbiter, I currently have an M6L Brompton.

brompton rail

Just Joined
Oct 30, 2011
I agree. I have 1 Birdy and 3 Brommies (1 electric). The Birdy rides best but doesn’t fold small enough or easily to compete with the Brompton when catching a train or bus. It’s a bit of a pig to carry too as bits catch your shins and knees. And it ain’t cheap! An electric Birdy is unlikely to take off because R&M have the Tinker, a smallish BMX style electric which doesn’t fold but is compact. Incidentally the Birdy design hasn’t altered much for most of the past decade suggesting that maybe it doesn’t sell as well as all their electric bikes. I wouldn’t be without mine, nor the Brompton Electric either