Help! Bit of maintenance advice for an amateur

AndyHoller

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 6, 2020
Hi everyone, hoping you might be able to help me with some maintenance advice.

So a few weeks ago borrowed my wife's electric bike for a journey and..... completely, over the handlebars, stacked it (tires caught in tram tracks in the rain is my excuse!). Anyway, I straightened the now off centre handlebars, got back on and didn't think any more of it. I haven't ridden it since. We both went out the other day (me on my usual, non-electric) and I noticed I'd done more damage than I thought! See attached GIF.

My questions are:
(1) Is this a buckled wheel? (I think if is, but I'm not very good at this sort of stuff)
(2) Could a 'normal' bike shop help with this? We bought second hand so can't easily go back to the original electric bike shop it was bought from
(3) If the wheel need replacing, I'm no expert but it looks proprietary or something to me. Doesn't look like a normal bike wheel anyway. Is some bit of the motor in there or something?

Any advice gratefully received, the bike itself is an older model Momentum Electric Model T

35949IMG_20200601_205553.jpgIMG_20200601_205606.jpg

zoros

Pedelecer
May 15, 2019
That wheel is so buckled!! Beyond repair and easier to replace it as a whole. I would guestimate atleast £100-£200 parts and then labour on top.
Bike's a write off- claim it off your household insurance!

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
Hi everyone, hoping you might be able to help me with some maintenance advice.

So a few weeks ago borrowed my wife's electric bike for a journey and..... completely, over the handlebars, stacked it (tires caught in tram tracks in the rain is my excuse!). Anyway, I straightened the now off centre handlebars, got back on and didn't think any more of it. I haven't ridden it since. We both went out the other day (me on my usual, non-electric) and I noticed I'd done more damage than I thought! See attached GIF.

My questions are:
(1) Is this a buckled wheel? (I think if is, but I'm not very good at this sort of stuff)
(2) Could a 'normal' bike shop help with this? We bought second hand so can't easily go back to the original electric bike shop it was bought from
(3) If the wheel need replacing, I'm no expert but it looks proprietary or something to me. Doesn't look like a normal bike wheel anyway. Is some bit of the motor in there or something?

Any advice gratefully received, the bike itself is an older model Momentum Electric Model T

View attachment 35949View attachment 35955View attachment 35958
That’s quite a bad buckle but I have pulled back ones just as bad as that by tightening and loosening spokes. Take it to your local bike shop and if he is any good he‘ll straighten it.

AndyHoller

May 6, 2020
Thanks both. Suppose the wheel did need replacing, any advice on sourcing it and whether a general bike repair shop would be able to do the job?

I recognise it might be better to write off, but for a few reasons I'd rather try to get this fixed back up even if it turns out I've made an expensive mistake!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
my m8 did that and wheel was a wright off but imo a lbs could fix it tho id get a new wheel built as that rim is toast same as his was lol.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
I can't see why any competant bike shop would have any problem building a new rim onto the hub. Take the wheel out and take it to a shop, no need to mention that it's from an e-bike.
Alternatively you could buy a rim and do it yourself - there's lot's of how to videos on'tinternet.

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
Thanks both. Suppose the wheel did need replacing, any advice on sourcing it and whether a general bike repair shop would be able to do the job?
Looks like the rear buckled wheel has a rather unusual SRAM hub gear. If so, that's not anything really to do with the ebike part, but nevertheless it might be designed as part of a system. Not that easy to replace with off the shelf parts, other than as has been suggested, take it to a bike shop so they can see if they can simply true to wheel by spoke tightening, or of not, they can build a new wheel with new rims around the existing hub.

AndyHoller

May 6, 2020
Thanks everyone. Sounds daft but I hadn't realised building a new wheel around the existing hub was an option, looks like that is what's needed (if it can't be trued).

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Most LBS I don't think would bother because if unrepairable you will still be landed with bill for their time, so a new rim and spokes is the rule of the day.
Just take the wheel without tyre/tube in to them for replacement and don't even mention ebike, ask for 14g spokes to be used. Any reasonable rim will suffice, for my hub motor wheels I use £15 rims from ebay shops.
The Sram hub gears are pretty much obsolete now so bare that in mind for the future as they pulled out of the market and any spares will be scarce but some old stock might be sourceable.