Blank KT-LCD3 ? Try this trick

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
While on a short ride yesterday on my Lanarkshire E BIKES SR 20 Fat Tyre , I suffered a power failure and a blank LCD meter . I thought it strange as I knew the Battery was nearly fully charged and only 2 years old . On finishing my 2 mile unpowered ride home I checked the output Voltage of the Battery and it was a healthy 40.4 Volts . The Battery remained indoors overnight in a warmish house rather than a Shed that`s been below 0C for nearly a fortnight and after giving it a top up to 42 Volts I put it back on the Bike and hey presto everything works again . I did wipe the 2 Spade lug Battery connectors with kitchen roll paper but they weren`t dirty, although this is the first time that the Battery has been removed in 2 years . Was re-booting the System the cure ?

Last edited:

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
While on a short ride yesterday on my Lanarkshire E BIKES SR 20 Fat Tyre , I suffered a power failure and a blank LCD meter . I thought it strange as I knew the Battery was nearly fully charged and only 2 years old . On finishing my 2 mile unpowered ride home I checked the output Voltage of the Battery and it was a healthy 40.4 Volts . The Battery remained indoors overnight in a warmish house rather than a Shed that`s been below 0C for nearly a fortnight and after giving it a top up to 42 Volts I put it back on the Bike and hey presto everything works again . I did wipe the 2 Spade lug Battery connectors with kitchen roll paper but they weren`t dirty, although this is the first time that the Battery has been removed in 2 years . Was re-booting the System the cure ?
Could be that the connectors were very slightly bent or not making good contact for some other reason, and that (even though they weren't dirty) cleaning them or even just reseating resolved the problem.

Reactions: RoadieRoger

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
LCD goes blank when power supply is interrupted, it can often be due to a battery contact issue.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Was re-booting the System the cure ?
No. Unfortunately, your problem will come back and haunt you until you find where the connection issue is.

Check out any connectors between the LCD and the controller. if you have the moulded type, put a bit of silicone grease in them to seal out moisture.

What type of battery is it? Show a picture of your bike instead of sending us on a wild goose chase with "E BIKES SR 20 Fat Tyre", which doesn't exist according to Google.

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
vfr try Googling ebikes-lanarkshire.com My Model is there and now described as a` Little Fattie Stepthrough `with a 500Watt Motor . Mine is a legal 250 watt and is a CNEBIKES SR 20B from Changzhou renamed for the Scottish Supplier . My next trips will be along a flat route initially .
The Battery is a 10.4Ah standard type vertically behind the seat post tube .

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The contacts at the bottom don't normally give any trouble, so when it does it again, check the bullet connectors in the controller compartment. Another fairly common problem is a dry solder joint on the back of the key-switch. Fuses and fuse holders vcan also give problems.