BMS Balancing "optional"

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
Have you noticed how a lot of BMS devices these days are not even offering a balance option? You have to ask for it as an extra it seems :)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
One has to pick the brand as there are many sellers, I think typically the Be Much Safer brand of BMS is one that typically offers the smaller footprint BMS for small batteries where size of BMS is important.

If one doesn't mess about with charge voltages and simy charges to the required full charge voltage of the battery series then there isn't much need for the balance , good quality cells should keep balance .

Reactions: Bikes4two

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
some have active balancing. You don't need to do anything.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
They switch small amounts of charge to those less full cells, a bit like a waterwheel, instead of wasting the excess through bleeding resistors. As it's done automatically at any depth of charge, the mechanism is not limited to the CV charging time. The mechanism is faster and wastes less energy.

• Informative
Reactions: Scorpio

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
They switch small amounts of charge to those less full cells, a bit like a waterwheel, instead of wasting the excess through bleeding resistors. As it's done automatically at any depth of charge, the mechanism is not limited to the CV charging time. The mechanism is faster and wastes less energy.
Is that a wind up?

Sturmey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2018
Ireland
Different ways to activately balance a battery without load resistors. One way is for the BMS to charge a capacitor with the high cell and discharge it back into low cell. etc.

Exemplary passive (left) and active (right) balancing circuit topologies

Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Is that a wind up?
not really. Although I don't know the details, I have read some articles about active balancing. You can figure out how that works from reading. I have noticed that bleed resistors disappeared, the BMSes get smaller and smaller, now no bigger than a couple of square inches at most. The balancing wires also get smaller, connectors are now spaced at a millimeter pitch. The Chinese rub off the markings on the main chip making following up nigh impossible. The main thing is I used to get a couple of calls a months telling me that they lost some range. I told them usually to leave the charger on for a couple of hours after the LED on the charger turning green to rebalance the battery. For the last 4-5 years, nobody calls about this anymore.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
not really. Although I don't know the details, I have read some articles about active balancing. You can figure out how that works from reading. I have noticed that bleed resistors disappeared, the BMSes get smaller and smaller, now no bigger than a couple of square inches at most. The balancing wires also get smaller, connectors are now spaced at a millimeter pitch. The main thing is I used to get a couple of calls a months telling me that they lost some range. I told them usually to leave the charger on for a couple of hours after the LED on the charger turning green to rebalance the battery. For the last 4-5 years, nobody calls about this anymore.
You're not going to get active balancing in a £15 BMS.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
why? you can get a whole micro computer with wifi and BT for $5.
You tell me. Why don't you have active balancing in the batteries in your bikes? Next time you see your battery supplier, see if you can arrange it, then all those guys that want to extend the life of their batteries by a few days by 20% -80% charging can buy a Woosh bike. Sales will go through the roof.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I am in France at the moment. I'll ask them to confirm what is in their BMS when I get back to work.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
this is a typical BMS:
you can see the thermistor, the soft switch wires

The old bleed resistors disappeared, in their place, a dozen small plastic thingies in plastic cases:

The heatsink is riveted. The whole thing is supposed to be replaced, not repaired.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I can't see any plastic things, nor a plastic case.
look between the heastsink and the PCB. There are about a dozen of them, about the size of a TO220 but without individual heatsinks. I don't know what they are without drilling off the rivets and remove the heatsink.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
look between the heastsink and the PCB. There are about a dozen of them, about the size of a TO220 but without individual heatsinks. I don't know what they are without drilling off the rivets and remove the heatsink.
Do you mean the MOSFETs?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Yes, they can be mosfets. It's difficult to see.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Yes, they can be mosfets. It's difficult to see.
Are they raised bleed resistors bonded to/held tightly against the heatsink? Can your supplier provide you with schematics? Drill off the rivets.