BMS Battery Not Charging

billadie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2010
Tewkesbury
Woe, woe & thrice woe, as Frankie Howerd used to say. Well so far I have only two woes but I'm sure another will be along shortly.

Woe 1 concerns a BMS battery, Woe 2 my Urban Mover. Neither of which are working. I will post another thread for the Urban Mover. This one is the battery.

I bought a 15A 36V battery from BMS in November. It ran well until last week when, after being idle for a fortnight, I went to use it. the symptoms are:

!. When I press the test button on the battery - battery switch on - I get no LEDs, whilst the handlebar battery meter indicated that the battery was 3/4 full. The battery powers the bike, I have ridden 15 mile since.

2. When I connect the charger - 4A supplied with the battery -the charger LEDs indicate that the battery is fully charged (green/red lights - no fan), but the battery LEDs then work - all on.

3. I have measured the battery output at 35.8V and the charger output at 49.4V

At BMS's request I have also opened the case to check for broken wires. All seem OK.
I have emailed BMS, but assistance has been a minimal.

My sturdy Smarta is approaching its 9000th mile on its' original battery which is getting a bit tired. Any help with the BMS would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Bill

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi Bill We are not Far from you in Banbury we have 36 volt bms in stock and a full test workshop

You are welcome to visit we are open 7 days a week

Please call me

Thanks Frank

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Hi billadie,

Is there a fuse on the charger and have you checked it for continuity?

D

Deleted member 4366

Could you provide a link to the battery, so that we know which one you're talking about. You have all the symptoms of the charging fuse in the battery blown, some batteries have it on the outside, others on the inside. There's often two fuses on the battery: charge and discharge, so make sure you found the right one.

Saneagle had a similar problem with the same charger on a BMSBattery battery. It measured 43.5v, but absolutely refused to charge the run-down battery, although we could charge it with my charger, which is the same type. I posted on ES, where the experts are, but nobody could make a sensible suggestion why. In the end, we bought another charger, which works perfectly.

Endless-sphere.com • View topic - Charger won't charge

Last edited by a moderator:

billadie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2010
Tewkesbury
Hi d8veh

You have all the symptoms of the charging fuse in the battery blown, some batteries have it on the outside, others on the inside. There's often two fuses on the battery: charge and discharge, so make sure you found the right one.

Right first time. Blown 5A fuse. Swopped with one from original battery and now new battery lights, charges fine.

Thanks very much.

Bill