Booming Ebike market in Holland

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Well the Sparta is no hill climber as it was designed for very flat Holland, but still surprising that so many need one there. Will the next headline from that area be about a growing obesity epidemic. :rolleyes:

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Or maybe that 'comfort' seats are the next bug seller..:D

pvb123

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2008
Good point Flecc......although at least they still ride a lot more than the average country.......

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
I was amazed to see a few electric bikes in Belgium the other week - we were near the border with the Netherlands, so very flat. However to describe the riders as past their prime would be an understatement, they were frankly geriatric and I see this as only positive. Not wanting to give up cycling however old you are is fantastic and if they need a helping hand so be it.

I can't see any young person thinking the sparta ion looks cool though and am surprised at them selling out. Quite frankly if it is flat, a normal bike is a hell of a lot less hassle in every respect, especially for local journeys.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, I've viewed the Sparta as an in-town sedate bike, but if used on the open road in Holland as Hal has seen, there is a bit of a point to the e-power. Like many wide open flat areas, the plains there can have the fiercest of headwinds, which is why Velomobiles are popular there, their weight not mattering in the flat but the streamlining a big advantage.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
Yes, I've viewed the Sparta as an in-town sedate bike, but if used on the open road in Holland as Hal has seen, there is a bit of a point to the e-power. Like many wide open flat areas, the plains there can have the fiercest of headwinds, which is why Velomobiles are popular there, their weight not mattering in the flat but the streamlining a big advantage.
Yes I forgot about the winds - as a lad I lived in cambridge and even when we moved away would go back to visit friends with my bicycle. I was always amazed at the winds in the countryside and was a bit ashamed that my brand new 5 speed (I think) racer and me struggled. My friends with their upright sturmey archer 3 speed bikes seemed to ride along without complaining but I expect they were fitter riding around cambridge a lot.