Bosch Active Line back-pedal

Niallzagreb

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 24, 2019
I have a one year old bike with Bosch Active Line Plus drive. The drive sometimes seems to lock so that I can’t backpedal at all which is annoying at traffic lights etc when I want to reposition the pedals to get going again. Only way to move pedals is to move forwards. Any ideas what the issue might be?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Reactions: Bearing Man

Niallzagreb

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 24, 2019
Yes - no problem freewheeling downhill. I just spoke to the guy who I bought it from (second hand dealer ) and he says it won’t be the bearings but instead the chain needing replacing? But it is making a grinding noise

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if it has no warranty then the best option is the link above and get him to take a look and see what is wrong.

it has nothing to do with the chain pmsl

Reactions: Bearing Man
D

Deleted member 25121

The chain!!!??? Ha ha ha
No, it's something inside the motor in that case. There's a freewheel mechanism inside Active Line Plus motor module that disengages the motor when you pedal forward and it might be that that's playing up.
The link provided above by soundwave is definitely worth contacting, the guy lives in Fordingbridge, Hampshire. It might not be a cheap fix so if you've just bought it you might want to talk to the seller before dismantling the bike.

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
change the chain. It's cheap enough to test whether that fixes it. My chain was worn to .75 at 1500 miles and was causing problems that I thought were associated with the active Line Plus. Not the same as yours ( a sort of internal resistance when pedalling motor-off). Also check the routing of the chain through the derailieur. Mine was the wrong side of one of the guides. (My fault)
Mike

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A new chain isn't needed to test back pedal simply remove from the front sprocket/chain ring to see if crank backs pedals.
I've never had or looked at one of these drives but assume somewhere inside there is a pawl system in action and a pawl is stuck causing the back pedal issue ?

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Some European bikes come with back pedal brakes. I don’t suppose it could be that?