Bosch active line plus thoughts

Callum

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 15, 2019
Barnet
I have recently purchased a Cube EXP 500 tourer direct from Germany. Lovely , solid comfy bike.
However as re the Bosch Active Line Plus. Bit disappointed. Very quiet , easy to use , responsive! So far so good. However , as I spend most of my time cycling at approx 16 mph. It's like pedalling through treacle. Much more drag than I d anticipated. Feels like an anchor. That said my ride to work has had 15 min shaved off my time and I sweat much less. I have to say , overall, I m enjoying the bike apart from the treacly pedaling . Bike is just a week old so lots to get used to. Any thoughts ?

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Are you sure it is motor drag, not just the combination of lack of motor power at that speed, and a heavier bike with slower tyres than a non-electric one you have been used to before?

Reactions: Poolepete

Callum

Mar 15, 2019
Barnet
Not had it long enough or compared to other ebikes over comparable distance to know really. That said , today.. on the hottest day so far.. it felt less treacly . That might just have been lovely sunny end of working day euphoria of course. Happy to let you have a go

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
I have a bike with the Bosch ALP motor and find the motor cuts off completely at about 16.8 mph. It provides full power up to about 15.8 mph and then there is a gradual decline until it shuts off at 16.8. On the flat its fairly easy to ride at around 20 mph unless riding into a head wind.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
I also have a cube with the ALP motor (my third pedelec ) and by far the smoothest and easiest to ride.
I’d say that unless there’s a fault with your bike, instead of feeling extra drag past the cutoff your actually just feeling the loss of assistance, after all your cube is twice the weight of a reasonable road bike.
I’ve recently played with increasing the cutoff speed (https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/diy-mechanical-dongle.34683/) and it really dose transform the bike but also makes your bike “illegal” but that’s a subject others like to discuss.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i blame embn pmsl even if i removed tho hole motor and used a normal bottom bracket id not ride it it is just to fkn heavy at 20kg lol

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
i blame embn pmsl even if i removed tho hole motor and used a normal bottom bracket id not ride it it is just to fkn heavy at 20kg lol
Indeed ( not that I always understand SW’s abbreviations, my MTB weighs 11.8 kg’s and its so much more dynamic and responsive to ride than my ALP Cube.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
they need to get the waight down imo under 15kg as no way i can flick this thing around n if i tried id be going round with it lol.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
The other thing e-bikes do is get you to 16 mph when in a lot of cases you'd be nowhere near that speed on the type of bike you're on, so when you're without motor assistance you're experiencing the reality of that speed and the effort it requires, it just feels slightly odd.

• Agree
Reactions: Nev

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
I think you may have a problem with the bike/motor. You need to try an identical model if you can.
I posted of exactly the same 'treacle' problem with a Halfords Crossfire E (not the same motor as yours though). I was told by lots of people on here and at Halfords that it was me rather than the bike. It wasn't. I swapped it for a Crossfuse which DOES have the Active Line Plus motor, and no treacle any more. It's an absolute pleasure to ride with no assistance (or over 16mph).
Mike

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
Whoops. I spoke too soon. I now have the treacle problem with my Bosch active line plus. Happened twice today in a 25 mile ride. Second time it didn’t go away even when I took the battery off and replaced it. Something is getting stuck inside. If anyone finds a solution please post on here as I don’t trust Halfords to even acknowledge the problem.
Mike

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
motors can not be serviced buy dealers as it voids the warranty so if there is a problem it needs to be sent back to bosch for replacement.

Gadgetshop

Just Joined
May 12, 2019
I bought an Orbea wild with CX unit and changed the tyres from Kenda 2.4 to smart sam plus 2.25 and still get a work out with no assist but I can tell theres a difference

Energizer Bunny

Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2017
united kingdom
I recently acquired a cube EXP with the ALP, my other ebikes are CX and old Performance line. It is really good for commuting, the limiter is no where near as bad as the CX I fitted to my old commuter.
It is ridable through the limiter up to 20mph on flat, I like the lights, and battery cover, a smart bike.
One gripe is the cadence, you can easily hit the 105rpm limit, I have turned on the shift recommendation to remind me to change gear.

Darren Hayward

Pedelecer
Mar 25, 2015
Since I've put on a smaller chainring I get the shift warning all the time. I'd love to know that rpm the shift sign comes on at. 85 maybe?

MarcusT

Pedelecer
May 5, 2019
NE Italy
The active line is known to have very little drag. I found that when you are accustomed to the assist, when it turns off it feels like ....an anchor.

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
The active line is known to have very little drag. I found that when you are accustomed to the assist, when it turns off it feels like ....an anchor.
Surely not Marcus. Or at least only when you are going uphill. My Activeline Plus is seamless when I go through the 15.5mph on the flat. Absolute pleasure to ride unassisted
Mike

• Agree
Reactions: Nev and Amoto65

JonBee

Jun 1, 2019
Hayfield, High Peak
I have an Active Line Plus on my Cannondale Synapse and the change to manual above 16mph is seamless. However, if I switch off assist while climbing there is a very noticeable drag (maybe a back emf?). This of course maybe the fact that I am then trying to pull a heavy bike up a hill!!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
bemf only affects a motor at rpm/V saturation point and not when there is no assist power. The drag felt is not real drag but the motor reduction gearing and the added motor weight compared to a non powered bike.