Bosch active line plus thoughts

D

Deleted member 25121

I have an Active Line Plus on my Cannondale Synapse and the change to manual above 16mph is seamless. However, if I switch off assist while climbing there is a very noticeable drag (maybe a back emf?). This of course maybe the fact that I am then trying to pull a heavy bike up a hill!!
What happens when you're climbing with power on but with absolute minimum motor assist?

Chris M

Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2018
I find the power switch off at 16 mph is seamless. If I have accidentally switch the power off when climbing it feels someone has pulled the brakes on hard.
The active line plus seems to be about right. It provides sufficient assistance up steep hills to get me to the top without pain but panting a bit. It also gives good mileage per charge and it is very quiet. Part of me would like a more powerful motor but it has to be said that the Active Line Plus is all you need for all but the steepest of trails. In over 1,000 miles of trails I have only come across one short sharp incline that has beaten me.

JonBee

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 1, 2019
Hayfield, High Peak
bemf only affects a motor at rpm/V saturation point and not when there is no assist power. The drag felt is not real drag but the motor reduction gearing and the added motor weight compared to a non powered bike.
Thanks NealH. I should have dug out my old physics text book before suggesting bemf

JonBee

Jun 1, 2019
Hayfield, High Peak
What happens when you're climbing with power on but with absolute minimum motor assist?
No problem with climbing on Eco setting, but given the heavy weight of the bike, there is not a huge difference between this and a carbon framed lightweight manual bike with low gearing. On the steeper trails it really helps however, and overall I am really pleased with the unit.

MarcusT

Pedelecer
May 5, 2019
NE Italy
Surely not Marcus. Or at least only when you are going uphill. My Activeline Plus is seamless when I go through the 15.5mph on the flat. Absolute pleasure to ride unassisted
Mike
I believe you did not understand my post. When one is riding an ebike at a certain power level, then drops to a lower level, the loss in assist feels like there is more resistance in the bike.

Reactions: IlkerCagatayAsik

IlkerCagatayAsik

Feb 24, 2021
It is about generation. Because gen 3 series motors have very compelling motor resistance and drag. There is no motor drag on gen 4 bosch motors for example. It is out of luck If you have gen 3 Motor like me.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
It is about generation. Because gen 3 series motors have very compelling motor resistance and drag. There is no motor drag on gen 4 bosch motors for example. It is out of luck If you have gen 3 Motor like me.
o_O As I said a year ago (this thread is 12months old) I don’t notice any drag after 15.5 mph, just the lack of assistance :p

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
It was only the performance Line CX motors that had the drag and only on the pedalling. There was no drag when free-wheeling

• Agree
Reactions: Amoto65

slowcoach

Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2020
I have just been giving my wife's Motus with the bosch ALP motor a clean up and better tyres. Having done that, jumped on and pedalled it a little way for a test ride without fitting the battery. Yes, it was a little heavy to ride like that, but went well along the flat with no noticeable drag. Proved to me, if necessary it would be possible to cycle if the battery ran down. Not too far though with my knees.

Reactions: Danidl

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
There is no drag.. it is just the tapering off of power a that speed, and you have a heavy bike, with a fair amount of wind resistance.