Bosch Battery Capacity

Kendalian

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2016
Cumbria
Hi Folks,
I have a Bosch 2nd generation 400wh "Powerpack" battery and have been musing as to what capacity I could get if I had it recelled. Extra capacity would be useful for longer outings when abroad with the campervan. Clearly you can get 500wh in there as the 500wh battery has the same case - but can you get more capacity by putting better cells in? Has anyone done this? I will give Insat a call next year if I decide it could be worthwhile, in the meantime I would be interested to see if others have increased capacity with better cells.
Cheers
Kendalian

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Hi Folks,
I have a Bosch 2nd generation 400wh "Powerpack" battery and have been musing as to what capacity I could get if I had it recelled. Extra capacity would be useful for longer outings when abroad with the campervan. Clearly you can get 500wh in there as the 500wh battery has the same case - but can you get more capacity by putting better cells in? Has anyone done this? I will give Insat a call next year if I decide it could be worthwhile, in the meantime I would be interested to see if others have increased capacity with better cells.
Cheers
Kendalian
The batteries aren't designed to be disassembled. It wouldn't look as nice after a re-cell. The 400wh case takes 40 cells, so you can go up t0 14Ah, which is 500Wh today. By next year, there might be new cells with more capacity. they go up by about 10% per year.

There's a Bosch double battery system, though it's quite expensive and you have to find a way to mount the second battery:

Kendalian

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2016
Cumbria
Thanks for this vfr400. When you say the case wouldn't look as nice after re-celling is that because it would be damaged when opening? Don't you just undo the 6 screws and open it?
Cheers
Kendalian

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Thanks for this vfr400. When you say the case wouldn't look as nice after re-celling is that because it would be damaged when opening? Don't you just undo the 6 screws and open it?
Cheers
Kendalian
It clips together with barbed tangs that engage in thin slots. You need a lot of force to separate the two halves, then most of the slots break, though they're not really needed when it's screwed back together. The force to separate the halves is what does the damage. you'll see it on the join where the force was applied. If I had a knackered 400wh battery, I would consider a 500wh re-cell because it would be cheaper than buying a new 500wh battery. I wouldn't care about a few dings in it.

BTW, I've got a Bosch case with it's connectors if anybody wants it for the cost of postage. Obviously, it now has dings along the join line.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Jimmy re-celled my brothers Bosch battery some 3 years ago without any damage.

Kendalian

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2016
Cumbria
That's good to know Nealh - I was thinking it should be possible to 'hide' any damage with stickers or something similar.
Cheers
Kendalian