Bosch Battery Chargers

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
Bosch make three battery chargers. The 2 amp, 4 amp and 6 amp. The larger the current capacity charger then the quicker it will charge the battery. My question is, does using a faster charger ie the 6 amp instead of the 2 amp, reduce the longevity of the battery?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the slower the charge the better it will be in the long run with 18650 cells.

Reactions: Nev

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Bosch make three battery chargers. The 2 amp, 4 amp and 6 amp. The larger the current capacity charger then the quicker it will charge the battery. My question is, does using a faster charger ie the 6 amp instead of the 2 amp, reduce the longevity of the battery?
Always treat these Li-ion cells gently.....Slow charging is a far cheaper charger as well.
Remove power to the charger as quickly as possible after the LED goes green.
For that I use a modified cheap electro mechanical timer. That not only takes the power off, but shuts itself off as well. If you need the mod, just ask...
regards
Andy

BG bicycle

Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2018
Bulgaria
Something overlooked is your BMS, ability to handle that higher charge current.

Any out of balance cells will quickly become more of a problem. Highest cells will rise faster and with the BMS, inability to drain them down quick enough the cells may overcharge and then the overall voltage taken into account the BMS, then stop the charge. BMS, could also overheat.

Some cells will read 4.25v possible higher and other cells could be far from 4.2v. Result is a far shorter ride. The problem becomes worse and worse, lowest cells become lower voltage and therefore less and less distance.

Also, the higher charge current on a well balanced battery pack is only applicable to about 70-80% of the maximum battery capacity. That is to say that final 1-2 volts can take another 2 or more hours. Far longer if require the battery to balance.

In short, should only utilise a high current charger if your balancing circuitry can handle the extra current. And idea should deploy voltage monitoring on all cells within a pack. And install a smart BMS, then custom the balancing voltage, view cell data, bluetooth, etc.

And yes, lower currents, are better.

I charge via 2 and 8.14amp charger 10s 13p. I’ve an external active balancer capable of 3+amps per cell. I find a 2amp charge far superior. However, some of my journeys are 100-200km with multiple charges and 8.14amp to maximum 4.05v per individual cell is essential.

My goal is to build a 400 cell battery within a Vector Typhoon frame. Over 4kwh. Should negate those present cafe stops.

Barrio Barranco

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 24, 2018
Bosch 4A is the "standard" charger and should be 4.5hrs to charge fully. 2A is physically smaller(better for in a backpack??) and takes 7.5hrs.
My charger(4A) will switch itself off the minute it is fully charged- you can hear a relay or something inside clicking and the 5 lights all go out on the battery (unlike my Exposure lights, they need watched and switched off).