Bosch Battery Conundrum

Lengthenby

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 7, 2018
Like so many people have said the range estimate on the intuvia fluctuates a lot but I've got used to it quite quickly. When I'm riding on the flat above the cut off the range increases because naturally I'm covering miles without draining power but if there is a hill to climb I will be in sport or even turbo and the range will drop drastically. Over 20-30 miles I find it balances out. My last ride was 32miles. In eco the range started as 81miles and finished on 42 miles and 3 of the 5 bars on the battery indicator.
During the first half of the ride I was in eco and above the cut off quite a bit so the range barely dropped at all but I used quite a bit of sport and tour during the return leg and a bit of turbo as it involved 1300ft of altitude gain. Based on that 39miles of eco range used seems about right.
Thanks, clearly the Intuvia estimate is just that. But because the system seems to know how much effort I am putting in (it suggests when to change gear) I imagined it was using more data than is actually the case. And I agree it is certainly not a serious worry when in use. Just that I foolishly panicked when I thought the battery had died on me!

Lengthenby

Aug 7, 2018
The excerpt I've posted below from Soundwave's Bosch guide seems to indicate it does prevent or greatly reduce continuously discharging by controlling the BMS drain of current continuously. If it didn't one wouldn't be able to use the battery at any time after winter storage without recharging:

"Very low self-discharge rates – Even after prolonged storage, such as during the winter, it is possible to use the rechargeable battery without recharging it. For longer storage, a charge status of approx. 30 to 60% is recommended."
Thanks for your thoughtful deductions and I believe you must be right. Maybe consumer protection and litigation hover in the background - and they can't be too specific about what the BMS tries to do. I wonder if the more recent displays do things better than Intuvia........

Old Fart At Play

Pedelecer
Jun 11, 2020
Agree with earlier posts that range remaining' is worse than useless. I ahve had range remaining displaying 10km when I know there is 60km left, and so on. However, 'battery remaining' is much more reliable. The intuvia system with bars isnt great as has been said, but with Kiox you get a %age figure and it is great. I'd say an upgrade from Intuvia to Kiox is worth it for that feature alone

Lengthenby

Aug 7, 2018
Agree with earlier posts that range remaining' is worse than useless. I ahve had range remaining displaying 10km when I know there is 60km left, and so on. However, 'battery remaining' is much more reliable. The intuvia system with bars isnt great as has been said, but with Kiox you get a %age figure and it is great. I'd say an upgrade from Intuvia to Kiox is worth it for that feature alone
Thanks for that...I'll certainly have a look at Kiox

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester

Deus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 18, 2014
Dewsbury
i changed from Purion to Kiox and find the Kiox to be excellent but the main reason i changed for was the charging percentage meter so i could charge to 90% without guessing