Bosch battery in luggage rack coming loose

Niallzagreb

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 24, 2019
Has anyone had this problem?

my Bosch battery that sits in the luggage rack keeps coming loose and disconnecting - leaving a 1 cm gap - when I go over bumps in the road.

it’s an Axa lock I think as the same key locks the Axa lock on the rear wheel

cant see what’s wrong with it as the key seems to turn the lock Mechanism ok and the battery fairly new

Anyone else had the same issue or got ideas?

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland

my Bosch battery that sits in the luggage rack keeps coming loose and disconnecting - leaving a 1 cm gap - when I go over bumps in the road.

cant see what’s wrong with it as the key seems to turn the lock Mechanism ok and the battery fairly new

Anyone else had the same issue or got ideas?
Yes. It has been a recurring problem on my Motus. It occurred from my very first ride My solution has been to use a bungy cord . I have examined the lock etc and cannot see why it does not properly mate. The lock mechanism is fine.
While you are at it check your carrier screws and stays. .. on one occasion my carrier jerked back and ripped the cabling... It was no easy feat to dismantle, resolder and then rebuild

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I've found it very easy to push the battery (rack battery Motus) in wrong; it would work mostly fine but be rattly and one or twice disconnected. I've now got the knack of lifting the back of the battery slightly as I push it forwards; this seems to help ensure it engages properly on the rails. Give it a wiggle once engaged; it should be rock solid, if not it isn't engaged right.

As Danidl says, check the various rack mounting screws. See also https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/battery-carrier-failure-on-raleigh-motusn.35864/

Biker44

Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2012
Not exactly the same thing - but may be linked.
That's the same as mine, a Gazelle Orange C7+ (but with the slightly older Bosch motor). Its failed, suddenly and almost completely.
My Bosch battery doesn't seem to fit very reliably - however, I'm more suspicious of the display (when I warmed the latter in my pocket it started working briefly) or the connections alongside the motor. Connecting and unconnecting all 4 connectors there made no difference, but the brief period of the system working again coincided with my pushing the wires back out of sight.

Warming the display has not worked again - maybe suggesting something really serious and expensive wrong in the motor area.20191021electricFault  (6).jpg

Biker44

Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2012
Yes. It has been a recurring problem on my Motus.
Checking on the web, the current models of Raleigh Motus all seem to have their batteries on either the down-tube or the seat tube. Is yours older?

I'm sure I've seen a Raleich electric cycle exactly the same as our Gazelle Orange c7+, same Bosch motor, same display and similar battery position (not entirely sure if it was identical mounting).

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Checking on the web, the current models of Raleigh Motus all seem to have their batteries on either the down-tube or the seat tube. Is yours older?

I'm sure I've seen a Raleich electric cycle exactly the same as our Gazelle Orange c7+, same Bosch motor, same display and similar battery position (not entirely sure if it was identical mounting).
Although I am male, at least I was last time I checked, but I decided to get the unisex or womans model in 2016. And yes it has the rare carrier mounted battery.