Bosch battery re-celling

Hugh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
Morning all.

Does anyone know of somewhere to get an 8AH Bosch battery (older type, from a 2012 model Haibike) re-celled? I'd like to avoid forking out for a complete new battery if possible. I have tried an aftermarket Chinese-made battery from Germany which is ok, but is supposed to be 10.4 AH and lasts no longer than the 8AH original.

I'm not that hot on electrics generally, so I need a solution that involves someone who knows what they are doing rather than me risking life and limb by trying a DIY job :(

trouty

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2016
west yorkshire BD20
when I used to build and sell mtb led lights i used this guy
www.mtbbatteries.co.uk
for my powerpacks .

he does all sorts of stuff. ie supplies batteries to the Mod. police. and other places that need Li Ion pack
it may be something he would be prapared to take on

Hugh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
Thanks All,

sounds like this Jimmy chap at Insat International is the man to try.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Thanks All,

sounds like this Jimmy chap at Insat International is the man to try.
Hopefully Insat can do it, but the Bosch batteries are difficult to work with.

A reasonably competent battery builder had a look at one of mine and declared in un-recellable.

I have an 8.8ah Classic battery - in good order as far as I know - which you could have a for a modest consideration.

Much may depend on whether we are anywhere near each other because it's probably more faff than it's worth to ship it.

Hugh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
I'm in SE London Rob, and agree about shipping - a big PITA!. How old's your battery?

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I'm in SE London Rob, and agree about shipping - a big PITA!. How old's your battery?
It's a 2012.

Little, but regular, use, always left part charged.

Last time I gave it a run out - couple of weeks ago - it had the same range it always had.

I'm in the North East which gives us a problem.

I have a small matter to attend to in Kent, probably early January, which would see me using the Dartford crossing.

A handover wouldn't be so hard to arrange.

Hugh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
Sounds possible Rob - I'm in Woolwich so near to A2. Depends how modest the consideration is, if course ;)

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Sounds possible Rob - I'm in Woolwich so near to A2. Depends how modest the consideration is, if course ;)
Got to be worth a punt for you at £100, plus a ludicrously over-priced cup of coffee at Thurrock services.

Hugh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
Sounds possible. How about £75 though - new Bosch ones are on German eBay for E299 and it's 4 years old.

Any chance of meeting on Kent side of the river though, as I hate the Dartford bridge due to my fear of heights and subsequent vertigo :(. Somewhere around the Bexleyheath junction (no. 2) on the M25. We'd have to time it pretty neatly - easy or not depending on time of day

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Sounds possible. How about £75 though - new Bosch ones are on German eBay for E299 and it's 4 years old.

Any chance of meeting on Kent side of the river though, as I hate the Dartford bridge due to my fear of heights and subsequent vertigo :(. Somewhere around the Bexleyheath junction (no. 2) on the M25. We'd have to time it pretty neatly - easy or not depending on time of day
The meeting point is negotiable, but the price is not.

I've no wish to be awkward, but however you cut it I will be bringing the battery best part of 300 miles and there will be some extra faff for me to achieve the hand over.

One of my Bosch bikes will almost certainly be for sale in the New Year, so I'm quite content to keep the battery for use as a bargaining chip to close that sale.

But I have offered it to you, so you have first call on it.

Three hundred euro for a new one sounds quite good, particularly if it's a Bosch original.

I'm not convinced the pattern ones have the same longevity.

Age is an unknown factor for any 'new' battery.

Is Bosch/the pattern company still making old shape batteries?

Or have the ones we see for sale as new been lying around unused for a few years?

The pattern battery I bought performs as it should, but I've not had it long enough to judge how it will last.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/E-Bike-Ersatzakku-Power-Pack-13-Ah-468-Wh-36V-fur-Bosch-Classic-Unterrohr-/262079812829?hash=item3d052c94dd

Hugh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
OK Rob, thanks for the offer but I think I'll leave it. My batteries still work - it's more a question of what I do when they stop, but that time may be some way off and it's probably not sensible to add another aging battery to the collection!
You're better keeping it and, as you say, using it as a bargaining chip when you sell your bike.

The ones I've seen appear to be genuine Bosch, though who knows really with eBay.

All the best anyway, and thanks again.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
OK Rob, thanks for the offer but I think I'll leave it. My batteries still work - it's more a question of what I do when they stop, but that time may be some way off and it's probably not sensible to add another aging battery to the collection!
You're better keeping it and, as you say, using it as a bargaining chip when you sell your bike.

The ones I've seen appear to be genuine Bosch, though who knows really with eBay.

All the best anyway, and thanks again.
No worries, interest already from another forum member so one way or another I won't be stuck with the battery.

Bosch batteries seem to last well - better than many others - but some of the early ones must be getting a bit tired by now.

Eaglerider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2011
East Sussex
Insat will arrange collection of your old battery, re-cell it with the latest hi tec cells, then ship it back to you. You will also receive a discharge chart showing the actual performance of your specific pack. Great service and a better battery than the original. I got an extra 5 amp.hours and it weighs 25% less than with the original cells.