Bosch chargers

Nolan

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2018
My bike came with a compact Bosch compact charger on paper it takes 7.5 hours to charge 500 battery. Are there any deals/after market chargers say either a standard or fast charger for a Bosch power tube 500 battery?

bikey850

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2016
UK
Not sure 100% about powertube (assuming same connector?) but "fast charge" (4Amp) chargers are available from a number of suppliers:

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/bosch-charger-active-performance-europe-218685

I'd strongly recommend investing in a genuine Bosch one rather than a 3rd party manufacturer. Maybe you can ebay your current 2Amp one or come to an agreement with your bike supplier (local bike shop?) on a swap if shorter charge time is important.

I tend to just leave mine on overnight as the battery is never completely flat. I use a mechanical timer to turn off the plug after a number of hours charge which means it's topped up by the morning.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Bosch have just released 6A charger. Ideal for quick topup over lunch.

Where time isn't an issue, its best to use your slower 2A charger as its better for battery.

Nolan

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2018
Not sure 100% about powertube (assuming same connector?) but "fast charge" (4Amp) chargers are available from a number of suppliers:

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/bosch-charger-active-performance-europe-218685

I'd strongly recommend investing in a genuine Bosch one rather than a 3rd party manufacturer. Maybe you can ebay your current 2Amp one or come to an agreement with your bike supplier (local bike shop?) on a swap if shorter charge time is important.

I tend to just leave mine on overnight as the battery is never completely flat. I use a mechanical timer to turn off the plug after a number of hours charge which means it's topped up by the morning.
Good idea about timer on plug thanks.

Nolan

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2018
Bosch have just released 6A charger. Ideal for quick topup over lunch.

Where time isn't an issue, its best to use your slower 2A charger as its better for battery.
Bet that's not cheap, didn't realise quick charging affects battery life, thanks for reply.

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
I'd strongly recommend investing in a genuine Bosch one rather than a 3rd party manufacturer.
What 3rd party Bosch compatible chargers are there?

Is there any need for this? the Bosch system automatically shuts off charging when finished.
Also, are you certain that leaving it plugged in but not on isn't doing something unwanted such as draining power back through the now off charger?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Nolan

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2018
Turns out I used s 1amp shaving adaptor which the charger blew. Why they still supply uk with 2 pin chargers is a joke. Evans said they normally supply a visitor adaptor but have brought all the local supplies of them and have run out. I now have a visitor adaptor and the battery is charging. Small thing, but when you pay the price of an ebike you expect none of these issues or a waste of an afternoon sorting this out.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Turns out I used s 1amp shaving adaptor which the charger blew. Why they still supply uk with 2 pin chargers is a joke.
Quite simply because you don't want to be playing with 13a sockets in a w/c or bathroom, which is why we still have low amp 2 pin plugs/adapters.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Turns out I used s 1amp shaving adaptor which the charger blew. Why they still supply uk with 2 pin chargers is a joke. Evans said they normally supply a visitor adaptor but have brought all the local supplies of them and have run out. I now have a visitor adaptor and the battery is charging. Small thing, but when you pay the price of an ebike you expect none of these issues or a waste of an afternoon sorting this out.
Evans keep on - illegally in the UK - supplying Bosch ebikes with two-pin mains plugs.

The charger must by law have a three-pin plug which plugs directly into a standard household wall socket.

My guess is Evans can get Euro-spec bikes and/or chargers for a few quid less, which means more profit for them.

It's not the most serious offence, but given they are consistently offending it would be worth reporting them to your local Trading Standards department.

• Agree
Reactions: Gringo and StewC

Nolan

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2018
Food for thought
Evans keep on - illegally in the UK - supplying Bosch ebikes with two-pin mains plugs.

The charger must by law have a three-pin plug which plugs directly into a standard household wall socket.

My guess is Evans can get Euro-spec bikes and/or chargers for a few quid less, which means more profit for them.

It's not the most serious offence, but given they are consistently offending it would be worth reporting them to your local Trading Standards department.
Food for thought, surprised a company as big as evans would do something like that.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Food for thought

Food for thought, surprised a company as big as evans would do something like that.
Yours is one of several posts on here we've had from people who have been supplied a two-pin charger by Evans.

They are taking the wotsit, and will continue to do so until they get a fine or two which will exceed the extra profit they make from supplying illegal chargers.

Nolan

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2018
Yours is one of several posts on here we've had from people who have been supplied a two-pin charger by Evans.

They are taking the wotsit, and will continue to do so until they get a fine or two which will exceed the extra profit they make from supplying illegal chargers.
Will email them about my experience and see what happens.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Expect a brush off.

What you need to do is email someone to whom Evans will listen.

Reactions: SteveB1262

StewC

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2016
Lancing, on the South Downs.
Every electrical appliance purchased in the UK, needs to be supplied with a 3 pin plug as standard. Evans are certainly braking the law. My Trek purchased from a Trek dealer, was supplied with a 2 pin plug, but the shop was aware of this Law and fitted a Visitor plug, that they buy locally for £1 each. Evans seem to cut so many corners.
Ignorance is not an acceptable reason to break the Law.

Reactions: SteveB1262

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Your local Trading Standards Office is the place to complain to.

megadrive2

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 17, 2018
I bought a couple of Cube Reaction ebikes from Cycle Gear Halifax last month, both annoyingly had euro plugs. Just received my Cube Stereo Action Team from Rutland today and thankfully it has a UK plug in the box, will be using that to charge all 3 bikes now!