Bosch Classic about to die?

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Just doing a 3 year 4000 mile service.. All the usual.. Chainring, Cassette Brake pads etc and I noticed a squeak of sorts when turning the crank so, off with the right hand side cover to find the big bearing feeling griity when turned and a spray with WD40 exposed a small amount of reddish goo on the cleaning cloth, so although there isn't any play in it, I am guessing this means imminent bearing failure and big repair bill.
Strangely, I have been considering a new bike, but decided not as this has been such a good reliable steed, so, is it dying, or what?
Her indoors will say its me that wants a new bike..;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i cant find anywhere that will service 1 tho it might be worth posting on here and see if any one has taken 1 to bits so can find what parts you will need.

http://www.pedelecforum.de/forum/index.php

even if you get a new motor for it it will need to be initialize with the diagnostic device from a dealer.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
they still go for a fair whack on ebay mind so will have to work out to get rid now or fix it then sell it on.

if you do replace the motor at least you have the old 1 for any spares.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
they still go for a fair whack on ebay mind so will have to work out to get rid now or fix it then sell it on.

if you do replace the motor at least you have the old 1 for any spares.
TBH I didn't think it would be worth much.. And, how can you sell something that you know has a problem?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
What is it with the Greeks? Did you mean grease (yeah like the ghastly film) inside (like in it)?

Your favorite spelling nazi strikes again :D:rolleyes:o_O
Ha!,
You should see my phone. I dare not use it because it actually puts words in that have no meaning at all. One of these days I will upset someone..

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
all that over a bearing pmsl can prob get 1 custom made for 50 quid.:rolleyes:

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Read this thread. I think it was somewhere about page 9 where the details of the non-standard bearing came out.

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/bosch-bearings.18712/
I remember this thread and the efforts he went to to fix it. . Not keen on taking things apart to that extent.
I have emailed my nearest ebike shop that offers bosch servicing and am awaiting a reply before doing anything myself.
I have tried selling dealer and mailed other local bike shops that sell ebikes about a firmware update but they don't even reply. This was an issue for me 18 months ago and it looks like nothing has changed.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
all that over a bearing pmsl can prob get 1 custom made for 50 quid.:rolleyes:
The engineering places I approached said they couldn't enlarge the bore of a bearing. But if you can find one that may help someone if they need the bearing.
You need a 42 x 20 x 12 bearing bored to 21.3 mm (roughly)

I've been trying to help Phill via PM after he messaged me. Phill's bearing is in far better condition than mine was, so a relatively easy fix if you're mechanically minded. and not requiring the unobtainable bearing.

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
Just doing a 3 year 4000 mile service.. All the usual.. Chainring, Cassette Brake pads etc and I noticed a squeak of sorts when turning the crank so, off with the right hand side cover to find the big bearing feeling griity when turned and a spray with WD40 exposed a small amount of reddish goo on the cleaning cloth, so although there isn't any play in it, I am guessing this means imminent bearing failure and big repair bill.
Strangely, I have been considering a new bike, but decided not as this has been such a good reliable steed, so, is it dying, or what?
Her indoors will say its me that wants a new bike..;)
I had my motor replaced FOC when Bosch were exchanging suspect units early last year.
Not sure how far this scheme extends or even if it is still running. At the time mine had done 6000 miles and occassinoally lost drive from the pedals.
6000, the main bearings were getting rough and noisy. We'll see how long the new one lasts.

Reactions: Artstu