Bosch cx motor failed again 4th

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I mostly see it on fat bikes, where the sprocket has been made by the manufacturer to stick out further to help the chain miss the rear tyre. These seem to put a high side load on the sprocket and some definitely become lose. But often, it's caused by fitting the wrong sprocket.
People also seem to have a habit of leaving the rubber O ring off as well. How much of a difference that it might make I have no idea, but figured that it was fitted for a reason, so leave it in place.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
never used the o ring on my bike, i dont think it even came with one tbh.

Bearing Man

Trade Member
Oct 3, 2018
Hampshire
www.ebikemotorcentre.com
Some have O-rings some don't. Tends to be different depending on different sprocket types. The Haibikes have one for example, but probably shouldn't. The spider nut tends to cut it into little bits and squash it beyond recognition. :rolleyes:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the lock ring for my haibike sprocket had a gap what imo the o ring was for.

any other 3rd party sprockets i used a lock ring with thread all the way.
i have had no problems not using a o ring but if you use the one above it will just squash it to nothing and be a waste of time and make the sprocket loose when it falls to bits.

Reactions: Bearing Man

Jst_at_home

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2014
Just had a phone call this afternoon from the bike dealer. Bosch have sent a new motor. That's good and quite a relief. However I will try to get a proper report on what the problem actually was. Many thanks for everyone's comments.

John

Bearing Man

Trade Member
Oct 3, 2018
Hampshire
www.ebikemotorcentre.com
Just had a phone call this afternoon from the bike dealer. Bosch have sent a new motor. That's good and quite a relief. However I will try to get a proper report on what the problem actually was. Many thanks for everyone's comments.

John
Result! :cool:

ABZ Scott

Just Joined
Oct 30, 2020
Hi everyone just after your opinions on this :
I bought a 2017 Cube Stereo Hybrid team action in November 2017 new still under warranty .In that time i've had four motors in that , bike shop and bosch been good and warrantied the motors but motor no 4 has just failed today and i'm sick to death of the bike now . Well not the bike just the bosch system , does anyone know what my rights are can i ask for a exchange of bike with a different motor brose shimano ? Or just ask for a refund
Cheers, Mark.
Hi Mark, I am having similar issues, I have Scott Spark eRide, on my 3rd motor and not impressed. It's a 40 mile trip to the nearest Scott dealer (no other bike shops in Aberdeen can sort is apparently and has to be Scott approved dealer), the usual back and forth with Bosch ends up in replacing it. It takes ca 1 month to sort it each time. I love the bike, we have great days out and I know what I'm doing from a maintenance perspective, not submerged it, not power washed it etc etc. Are we just unlucky?? I really am considering just selling it and hiring each time to get rid of the hassle. I am also looking into Shimano and Brose to see if they are any more reliable, cycle to work time coming around again.....

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it does happen but not that often since i have been a member id say 10 ppl or less has had more than 1or 2 motors replaced under warranty but 1 month is taking the pi$$.

the dealer should be able to ask bosch for a report why each motor has failed ie is it the same thing braking on each motor or something different.

my 2014 boch performance motor is still going even with a dongle but the motors with the least amount of problems reported is the Yamaha motors.

ABZ Scott

Just Joined
Oct 30, 2020
it does happen but not that often since i have been a member id say 10 ppl or less has had more than 1or 2 motors replaced under warranty but 1 month is taking the pi$$.

the dealer should be able to ask bosch for a report why each motor has failed ie is it the same thing braking on each motor or something different.

my 2014 boch performance motor is still going even with a dongle but the motors with the least amount of problems reported is the Yamaha motors.

I must be really unlucky then!! different issues, first was updated kiox software, error 500 immediately came up, bug in the firmware update apparently but new motor needed! Next was error 500 and 550. Intermittent engagement of motor, motor to be replaced. I have asked for feedback from Bosch, let's see if they give any. Like I say, an hour each way to the bike shop and weeks without my bike are pi@@ing me off!! I'll maybe give it one more chance, this will be costing Bosch a bomb

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the problem is bosch are like apple the dealers cant keep spare motors in stock and they wont send out a new motor unless the old one has been logged in to there system for warranty replacement.

now as you have had more than 2 motors you could claim the bike is not fit for purpose and demand a full refund or a different bike with a different brand motor.

cohenfor

Just Joined
Nov 1, 2022
I have a Cube Cross Pro with the Bosch CX Performance motor. It has been fine for the last 20 months and almost 5,000 miles.

• Informative
Reactions: Fat Rat

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
I have a Cube Cross Pro with the Bosch CX Performance motor. It has been fine for the last 20 months and almost 5,000 miles.
Well thats good for you, but what do you want ?, a certificate of excellence.

My Bosch Gen 4 has been fine in use, but that doesnt mean that others havent had problems.

• :D
  • Dislike
Reactions: Artstu and Fat Rat

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Well thats good for you, but what do you want ?, a certificate of excellence.

My Bosch Gen 4 has been fine in use, but that doesnt mean that others havent had problems.
I think he is trying to put across that there not all bad
So many threads are doom and gloom but not many on the life of motors when the going great.

And your reply is pretty shitty to be fair.

Related Articles

Advertisers