Bosch drive unit maintenance kit

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
As you may already be aware, Bosch are just about to release a maintenance repair kit, which is designed to offer peace of mind to those owners that are buying an ebike that is out of the covered warranty period.

Given that the kit comes with the following items shown below, including outer case and gears, it offers exceptionally good value at a retail price of £95.00. Whilst primarily designed to be installed by a Bosch approved dealer, with correct tools, and due care and attention, I can't imagine it being outside the scope of a competent person to carry out the process at home. As well as looking easy to install, the kit also comes with a two year warranty. I wonder if anyone else advertising bearing replacement, could offer that kind of cover.

What seemingly never gets mentioned when people talk about replacing bearings within the Bosch drive unit, is that there is high probability of damaging the torque sensor when changing the left hand side (non drive side) bearing, which can lead to the ebike ghosting. I have replaced right hand (drive side) outer bearings my self for other people seeking help, and as far as I'm concerned this kit offers everything that you will need, without risk of causing damage to sensitive parts of the drive unit.

I was made aware of 'ghosting' a while back, by someone that had recently had a drive unit rebuilt by a non Bosch approved company, and wouldn't personally risk touching or dismantling anything beyond what is sold within this kit, and it is with good reason that no Bosch technician is permitted to so either. The torque sensor is tested and calibrated in what Bosch call an “end of line test” at the production facility. If you remove it, it’s not possible to check the calibration after refitting it....even if the paint is aligned across the nut and torque sensor shaft.

I shall update this thread over the next few weeks with defined photographs when I get the chance of being able to review the kit my self, but I certainly think that with what is being offered, it represent superb and hassle free value for money.

one.jpg
two.jpg

Markings as mentioned above.

three.jpg

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
link ?

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Afraid that you will have to hang for that one. I happened to be in the right place at the right time, but you shouldn't have to wait very long for the full details. :)

It certainly opens the playing field up though in respect of extending bike life, especially with the two year warranty that comes with it.

Reactions: flecc

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Looks like a really good development. Anything in the pipeline for the classic motor too?

Reactions: SteveB1262

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Afraid that you will have to hang for that one. I happened to be in the right place at the right time, but you shouldn't have to wait very long for the full details. :)

It certainly opens the playing field up though in respect of extending bike life, especially with the two year warranty that comes with it.

Thanks for update Eddie. Sooner later was going to need this or services of bearingman. This will work better for me being on otherside of world.

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Will the warranty be applicable even if fitted by an unauthorised bod with an adjustable spanner, screwdriver and a claw hammer? ;-) Even if the retail price is relatively cheap what would be the labour charge on top for installation by an approved Bosch dealer?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
ebike shop £200 + part
lbs if there willing £50 + part
diy FREE

tho if its just the bearing it is easy to change and about 30 quid.

Bearing Man

Trade Member
Oct 3, 2018
Hampshire
www.ebikemotorcentre.com
Don't get me wrong here, if you are familiar with my posts I am normally the one who has normally defended Bosch and their engineering quality etc.
I am also please that they are stepping up to the plate with this solution and at an unbelievably cheap price too!
However, there are a few issues here? Most motors I see that have failed in the usual way i.e. water ingress, and many suffer damage and wear to the bearings on the other side of the motor?
So, you pay your £95 + Labour, but only end up with half a repaired motor!?
As for Bosch scare mongering with "Ghosting" stories! (Ghosting, is the bike taking off on its own). I have never seen this? From an insider at Bosch, this has apparently only ever been seen once and was caused by a software fault! Nothing to do with the torque sensor.
The torque sensor has two flats on the bolt that goes through the left hand motor case that also has two flats on it. So, the torque sensor can only go in one place. Saying that, there is room for a couple of mm of movement. So, although I have removed and refitted many, many torque sensors I put a motor on my test rig anyway. here I can set the pedal pressure and try the torque sensor in every position I could get it. As predicted no ghosting and no difference to the amount of pressure required to kick the torque sensor in.
And don't forget, the motor needs to see both pedal pressure and speed sensor to allow the motor to keep running, so again "Ghosting" from the torque sensor position should not be possible.
I can't help feeling that Bosch releasing this £200 part for £95 and telling stories about Ghosts etc. maybe to try and hurt a certain Bearing Man :rolleyes:
This kit is an absolute bargain if you strip or wear out a plastic sprocket (not that anyone has ever seen that yet?) Half a £600 motor for £95, you can't go wrong! But, sadly what will happen now, is it will just end up costing people £95 to £150 to fix their £10 - £15 main motor bearing :(

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
I wouldn't worry too much Peter, I think as more and more warranty expired bikes appear, many owners will look to 3rd party repairers the same as they do with their cars. I can't see the warranty on this kit being worth a bean if not fitted by a Bosch approved repairer, and it does make me wonder what they will do, when on opening the motor, find other worn bearings/components that are unavailable to them.

Reactions: Bearing Man

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
The surprising thing is bosch is encouraging people to open motor and repair it.
With 2 CX bikes I'd buy a kit first time. Then replacing individual bearing next time. Would give me bit more confidence before tackling other bearings.

Bearing man, anybody in NZ signed up as agent for you yet?

Bearing Man

Trade Member
Oct 3, 2018
Hampshire
www.ebikemotorcentre.com
Bosch are definitely not encouraging people to work on their own motors, this will be dealers only.
As for NZ agent yet. Yes, http://www.bikemarlborough.co.nz have placed an order for several kits and bits. We are just finalizing the paperwork and will be sending them stock shortly. :)

Reactions: robdon

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Bosch are definitely not encouraging people to work on their own motors, this will be dealers only.
As for NZ agent yet. Yes, http://www.bikemarlborough.co.nz have placed an order for several kits and bits. We are just finalizing the paperwork and will be sending them stock shortly. :)
Thanks. Shouldn't be issue courier motor to them for repair.

NB first bike had motor changed unwarranty at 6 months, just coming out of warranty now. Not expecting any issues with bearings in near future as I tend to be fair weather rider these days.

Reactions: Bearing Man

Bearing Man

Trade Member
Oct 3, 2018
Hampshire
www.ebikemotorcentre.com
Performance Line Bearings is a second company for me and is trading under Trad Solutions Ltd. As such, has full supplier and third party liability insurance. It was only started to help people who Bosch wouldn't.

Work carried out for trade customers is covered by a 3 month guarantee (generally, if something hasn't broken or fallen off in three months, it's not going to!)

Most of the bearings I use have a lifetime manufacturers warranty, but as I have no control over someone dunking their bike in a stream or insisting on using a pressure washer I don't warrant the bearings.

As I would not want any bad press what so ever, I would be more than happy to inspect and replace, free of charge, any first bearing that failed. If the customer had the same bearing fail twice and it was full of rust for example, then I would deem it only fair that I charge.
It maybe worth pointing out that NONE of our bearings or workmanship has failed as yet!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
https://www.pro-cycling-golla.de/Service_Kit_Instandsetzung_BDU2xx.html

1544895703888.png
Service Kit Repair BDU2xx
Item No. 0275007384
The service kit includes the following parts:

- lid (incl. Sealing, bearings, freewheel)
- gear
- gear grease
- cover screws
- Lagerpin with elastic waistband sleeve and front cover
- service manual with

the bearing with bearing protection ring and bearing grease is pre-assembled.

The repair may NOT be carried out in the following cases:

- Within the warranty.
- If the eBike has a coaster brake.
- If it is a drive unit of type part numbers 0.275.007.020 to .025.
- If the drive unit is not functioning electronically.
- If the drive unit has obviously been manipulated or damaged.

per piece (including 19% VAT)

119,90 EUR

Limited quantity 3 - 5 days
Sold only in the shop
The service kit includes the following parts:

- lid (incl. Sealing, bearings, freewheel)
- gear
- gear grease
- cover screws
- Lagerpin with elastic waistband sleeve and protective glass
- repair manual

is the bearing with bearing protection ring and bearing protection fat assembled.

The repair may NOT be carried out in the following cases:

- Within the warranty.
- If the eBike has a coaster brake.
- If it is a drive unit of type part numbers 0.275.007.020 to .025.
- If the drive unit is not functioning electronically.
- If the drive unit has obviously been manipulated or damaged.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Barrio Barranco

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 24, 2018
So this isn't an "exchange" only item? I can see the benefits if it isn't- little or no downtime and then you have the time to refurb the other one... but I can see the point that you may have more trouble inside the motor than this alone covers?? Might be a matter of time before Bosch drop the price of an exchange motor (or sell complete ones without exchange)to try and put the competition out of business ?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it is only for motors that are 2 years old and out of warranty tho the only part you might need is the bearing so best check if you need the kit in the first place.

from what uli said on the German site it is to be installed only buy dealers that can then offer 12 months warranty on the part.

what sucks is if another part fails in that 12 months then it is the dealers problem???

tho you can just buy the kit off ebay for double the price so some dealers are just selling the for diy install anyway.

there are motors and frames on ebay now and the from German sellers and a cx can be had for about 430 quid.

Related Articles

Advertisers