Bosch drive unit maintenance kit

Barrio Barranco

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 24, 2018
Bosch, or somebody, should redesign the dirt seals they put on the main motor bearing- is it necessary to save a few grams by leaving the external surface of the seal ridged? Could they not have moulded them to be solid and prevent all the crap sticking inside these undulations? It would make cleaning the whole area far simpler, and re-greasing and fitting a new seal it would be easier to clean off any excess thus attracting less crap to stick to it. The recess is even on the outer seal in the vertical plane....what a sh*t design!!

And while we're at it surely somebody could design a seal for the crankshaft on the RHS to stop crap getting to the bearing buried in there at the back behind the circlip.
I dismantled the RHS today after 60km total in pretty minging conditions so far. The dirt seal is holding up good and behind it was clean, but despite filling around the crankshaft with silicone grease(most of which melted out before use at room temperature) I was surprised to find a lot of crap had got behind the cranks and into the void.
Cleaned it all up, and re-greased it all with genuine Bosch (about 1/2 the 20g tube lol)stuff...see if it too drips out like the Silver Hook and put on a new dirt seal as cleaning the old one with it's silly nooks and crannies was a ball ache!!
(Maybe Bearing Man could get on to improving the seals with his expertise, but then it's probably not good for business lol!!!)

There should only be flush surfaces at 90 degrees around the circumference.....20190120_155507.jpg

Bosch grease is more green lol....and seems so far more viscous as there's none on the floor yet...

20190120_121854.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: Denis99 and Artstu

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you could try bathroom silicone to fill the gap on the dust rings but i find there easy to clean with some alcohol in a jar same way i clean my volcano vape parts ;)

or just get a ultra sonic cleaner ;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
as a dealer this is a bit of a conundrum tho as what happens if you have the kit fitted and another part fails like the left hand side bearing.

who then covers the cost of this bosch or the dealer? as it will cost way more in labour even tho the bearing is only a few quid.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
The fact this kit is the only internal service item Bosch has released means that even if the dealer/agent finds further wear to any other component they will be unable to offer any solution due to lack of OEM parts. If they fit after market products from the likes of Bearing man, they could well be in trouble with Bosch for doing so. I'm sure the vast majority would be unwilling to carry out any such work.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Are they taking the p#iss? I've got a washing up bowl, rubber gloves and a pair of curclip pliers, gis a job:p
yup id just buy the bearing and change it my self lol.

Barrio Barranco

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 24, 2018
That joker wanting £250....Bearing Man could rebuild the lot for £30 more ffs.... so the rubber on the crankcase bolts/threads is designed to let Bosch know if it's been tampered with. That was a crap video and Steve was irritating ...

Reactions: Bearing Man

Barrio Barranco

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 24, 2018
Does the casing in the oven at 120-130c method of dropping a bearing really work or does it just need a tap to do the main motor bearing- what way do you do yours SW??
If this is the usual main motor bearing that goes frequently, how many times would you change it before both crankshaft bearings needed done?(who do you get the bearings from too??)
Out of warranty I intend to do the work I feel comfortable with myself though I'd need to invest in some workshop equipment but have time on my side to do this....

(Oh and at least we found out the casing bolts are 6Nm!!)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
this is what my lbs offers.

General service - £35

A general service covers the following parts of your bike. We also undertake a brief test ride to assess overall ride quality:

• Gears and brakes checked for wear and adjusted
  • Headset and steering checked for wear and adjusted
  • Suspension checked for leaks, smooth operation, pressure checked
  • All bolts checked for correct torque
  • Chain checked for wear and defects, cleaned and lubricated
  • Tyres checked for wear and defects, pressure adjusted
E-bike diagnostics

This includes running the diagnostic test and installing any software and firmware updates:

• Bosch - £45
  • Shimano - £35
  • Yamaha - £35

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Does the casing in the oven at 120-130c method of dropping a bearing really work or does it just need a tap to do the main motor bearing- what way do you do yours SW??
If this is the usual main motor bearing that goes frequently, how many times would you change it before both crankshaft bearings needed done?(who do you get the bearings from too??)
Out of warranty I intend to do the work I feel comfortable with myself though I'd need to invest in some workshop equipment but have time on my side to do this....

(Oh and at least we found out the casing bolts are 6Nm!!)
mine dont need doing as i keep the seals clean and lubed even b4 there was a dust seal ;)

https://www.performancelinebearings.com/product/performance-line-performance-line-cx-main-motor-bearing/

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
That joker wanting £250
I suspect that is the sort of price most Bosch Approved Service Centres will charge for the job. Don't forget you are paying for the 2 year warranty. Heating casings in an oven is a well used technique used To remove and install bearings . It can be useful in this kind of instance when the bearing has been left well beyond it's due replacement time and has become stuck in the casing.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
I suspect that is the sort of price most Bosch Approved Service Centres will charge for the job. Don't forget you are paying for the 2 year warranty. Heating casings in an oven is a well used technique used To remove and install bearings . It can be useful in this kind of instance when the bearing has been left well beyond it's due replacement time and has become stuck in the casing.
or a blow torch ;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
no just the damaged bearing dont need a flame thrower lol tho half the time it comes out on the shaft anyway if not corroded.

Barrio Barranco

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 24, 2018
So if the bearing comes out of the casing then you'd need the thin gear pullers to remove it?
£62 for a press?! Wonder how long it would last? I might convert one end of the mancave to a workshop, missus would love that.... could use this to crush beer cans lol.

I'd been looking at machine mart but reckon there would be the cost of the various bits in different diameters to work with the press to consider- I noticed Bearing Mans red case to the left of the press had loads of bits in it... Might get away with cheaper stuff if it's only for yourself and not a business though...

Related Articles

Advertisers