Bosch ebike motor reliability

D

Deleted member 4366

D8veh, I am sure that you are aware that just quoting a torque figure in isolation , without including the rotational speed is insufficient.... A 40 Nm device rotating at 80 rpm , transmits exactly the same power as a 80 Nm device at 40 rpm.
True, but it's torque that would break a hub gear assembly, not power.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
  • Informative
Reactions: 1 person
D

Deleted member 4366

Power is nothing without torque :)
If I wanted to be a smartass, I would say that you can have power without torque: My sailboat for example. Torque is just one way of transmitting power, the same as you can transmit power through electric wires or fluid pressure.

No torque required for this bike's power delivery:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
If I wanted to be a smartass, I would say that you can have power without torque: My sailboat for example. Torque is just one way of transmitting power, the same as you can transmit power through electric wires or fluid pressure.

plod would pull you straight over on that thing on the grounds everyone in 1 mile was going def ;)

D

Deleted member 22539

Now you wouldnt want to be a smartass now would you lol

And as everybody is talking about rotational force in these posts i stand by my original post :)

If you want to talk about other power sources im more than happy to do so

I do agree with soundwave , that bike would definately get you pulled over by plod

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Energizer Bunny

Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2017
united kingdom
This has all been really interesting to read. I've had my haibike with Bosch motor for 3.5yrs now and use it for commuting 20miles a day in all weather's. I also spend 4miles of that on the seafront which means sand....a bikes worst nightmare. I'm pretty good at keeping it clean / lubed (no pressure hose) but I'm certainly not perfect.
My BB had a bit of play so my local bike shop contacted Bosch who said replace the motor. However, I then contacted e-bike in Farnham where I had bought it and they were happy to replace the bearing. When he had finished, he showed me the remnants of the old bearing...totally shredded. He said it was the worst he'd ever seen!
The replacement has the plastic protector so hopefully this will give it a bit more protection in the future.
However, after seeing these posts, particularly energiserbunny, if I need to replace the bearing again, I might have a go myself.
Overall, I still love the Bosch drive and it makes my commute effortless. However, I have been suprised by the maintenance costs of the bike, chains, sprokets and cassettes that get eaten by the extra torque. I'm still trying to find the prefect option....cheaper parts that I replace more often or expensive parts that last a bit longer. Latest attempt is the connex ebike chain and the 20tooth sproket to hopefully save the 11tooth on the cassette getting trashed after 3months..let's see how that gets on...

You could "downgrade" to 8 speed, Sunrace make a wide range 8 speed steel cassette (11-40):-

http://forums.mtbr.com/drivetrain-shifters-derailleurs-cranks/wide-range-8x1-sunrace-csm680-1040600.html

The wider 8-speed chain should be more reliable for the higher torques, plus the component costs are very reasonable. Basically EX1 on the cheap.

Deere John

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2015
EU
...I did like that on my commute eBike. Shimano saint derailleur 10s. With Sunrace 11-40T 9s cassette and Sram 9s Gripshift. I have read 9s is quite though so I thought to give it a shot.

Now I am building an exact similar but with 10 gears. And Sunrace 11-42T [emoji3] great that you can pick the sweetest candies in different boxes [emoji3]

Sent from my eBike through Tapatalk

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
You could "downgrade" to 8 speed, Sunrace make a wide range 8 speed steel cassette (11-40):-

http://forums.mtbr.com/drivetrain-shifters-derailleurs-cranks/wide-range-8x1-sunrace-csm680-1040600.html

The wider 8-speed chain should be more reliable for the higher torques, plus the component costs are very reasonable. Basically EX1 on the cheap.
EX1 is 11-48... Those extra 8 teeth make quite a difference where I live and I only ride on the road :eek:. I did a bit over 18 km un-powered with my Sunrace 11-40 8 speed earlier, my bottom front cog is a 26 and I was longing for at least 2 more teeth on the back in a couple of spots.

So my only solution is to go to 10 speed 11-46 and fork out 270€ for the upgrade including 110€ worth of 10 speed chain... :(

Kizza

Pedelecer
Oct 28, 2017
London
I've noticed a clanking noise from my drive unit - Bosch Drive Unit Performance CX (75Nm) Cruise (250Watt) - but only when both derestricted and on Turbo setting.

The clanking is not apparent when set to below turbo, or when I take the dongle off.

So it's ok on Sport mode or below when derestricted.

And it's ok on Turbo if restricted to 25km/h.

Had it about 7 months but am not eager to tell bike shop as they said warranty is invalid if derestricted.

Should I be worried? It's going in for a full service soon so that may reveal any issues. Or fix them.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Reactions: Kizza

Kizza

Pedelecer
Oct 28, 2017
London
so dont tell the dealer you dongled it as they have no way to tell anyway.

or you can just send the motor here and they will take over the warranty.

https://www.pro-cycling-golla.de/Antriebseinheit_Active_25_km/h.html
Thanks yeah I'll do that.

But... there's no clanking with the dongle removed so not easy to report a problem to them that only appears with the dongle attached as it would make my warranty invalid.

I'll say there's been some intermittent clanking so they'll at least have a close look. I mean, if it's knackered in some way I assume they'll see evidence.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
dealers can not open the motor as it will void the warranty all they can do is send it back to bosch for a warranty replacement.

if you are not getting error codes and cant feel any play in the right side bearing then not much else can be done.

my bike has had a dongle on it for 3 years so a dongle wont brake the motor unless there is something wrong in the first place.

Kizza

Pedelecer
Oct 28, 2017
London
dealers can not open the motor as it will void the warranty all they can do is send it back to bosch for a warranty replacement.

if you are not getting error codes and cant feel any play in the right side bearing then not much else can be done.

my bike has had a dongle on it for 3 years so a dongle wont brake the motor unless there is something wrong in the first place.
Ah that's good to know. Thought I might have fried the motor.

It's making the noise even with the dongle off now so lets see what shop says.

Does it sound like a Bosch DU issue to anyone?

Ballynoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2017
Perthshire Scotland
I was always under the impression that the diagnostics plugged into the system WOULD be able to tell if they were "tampered" with. ie. a dongle fitted.... anyone know for sure.. :eek:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
I was always under the impression that the diagnostics plugged into the system WOULD be able to tell if they were "tampered" with. ie. a dongle fitted.... anyone know for sure.. :eek:
no dealer has ever shown any proof at all that they can see if a dongle was installed or not, not even bosch can tell as a chip maker sent a dongled motor for a full report and showed nothing.

ebike shop sells fits dongels and honers the 2 year warranty.

no other uk dealer will problem is if it went to court for any reason the dealer would need proof to support there case but they dont have any :D

Reactions: Kizza

Related Articles

Advertisers