Bosch Intuvia charging and battery time

triumph_st

Pedelecer
Mar 24, 2014
Leuven, Belgium
I have two questions about the Intuvia charging and battery time:

- how long does it aproximately take for a not used, fully charged Intuvia battery to go completely flat? (when not using the ebike after how many days, weeks, months do you have to recharge the Intuvia battery?)
- does the Intuvia charges its battery when a charged motor battery is mounted to the bike but the battery is not switched on?

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Hi there

There are a couple of different sized Bosch batteries so it depends. Also depends on temperature . Around 5 or 6% per month at 0 degree C but 20% per month at 25 degree C

However, lithium batteries don't like being fully discharged and certainly not left like that

.best to top up every 3 months

Ideally you want to store at 80% if in long term storage not 100%

I'm not sure I fully understand your second question ? Can you explain again please ?

triumph_st

Pedelecer
Mar 24, 2014
Leuven, Belgium
I wonder if a connected Intuvia gets charged while a charged battery is mounted to the bike while that battery nor Intuvia is switched on.

Hugh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
I wonder if a connected Intuvia gets charged while a charged battery is mounted to the bike while that battery nor Intuvia is switched on.
Martin will know - I expect he'll be along eventually :)

Reactions: Martin@e-bikeshop

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
Hi there

There are a couple of different sized Bosch batteries so it depends. Also depends on temperature . Around 5 or 6% per month at 0 degree C but 20% per month at 25 degree C

However, lithium batteries don't like being fully discharged and certainly not left like that

.best to top up every 3 months

Ideally you want to store at 80% if in long term storage not 100%

I'm not sure I fully understand your second question ? Can you explain again please ?
KirstinS, think you are talking about the main battery & triumph_st is asking about the small battery in the head unit.

There again I am probably wrong, usually am so Mrs Wander tells me.....

triumph_st

Pedelecer
Mar 24, 2014
Leuven, Belgium
KirstinS, think you are talking about the main battery & triumph_st is asking about the small battery in the head unit.

This time you are right Mr Wander :)

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
Martin will know - I expect he'll be along eventually :)
Hi Guys,

The Intuvia display is recharged all the time you have the system switched on. There is no voltage when the system is turned off.

You can manually recharge the internal cell if the bike has not been used in a while by plugging it into a power source (PC, Laptop, TV etc) using a micro USB cable.

You can also pull power from the system to charge 3rd party devices (whilst riding) using one of my cables here - https://www.e-bikeshop.co.uk/eBike-Spare-Parts/bosch-usb-converter

Regards
Martin

triumph_st

Pedelecer
Mar 24, 2014
Leuven, Belgium
Thanks Martin.
Any idea how long before a fully loaded, non used Intuvia, kept at room temperature, goes dead?

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
Not tested exactly but we have spare units go for months without recharging. Depending on how much you use the bike I would suggest to top it up every six months or so for keeps safe.

You will know if the internal cell is low as when you remove the Intuvia from the bike the LCD will fade out / or not turn on.

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
FYI: Sometimes on a 31.8mm handlebar. If the Intuvia display holder is nipped up too tight it can cause the bracket to flex slightly.

The system still works as most of the connectors are touching. However the one that gives the internal battery a boost may not be connecting. Therefore it can cause intermittent problems with the display turning off when in use.

The bracket not need be tightened very tight.. Only 1Nm to be precise.

Reactions: RobF and triumph_st

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton

Ahh. You are correct ! Sorry I had misunderstood

Do tell mrs w :)

Xdrive

Pedelecer
Dec 26, 2016
West yorkshire
I have plugged my intuvia head unit into a usb charger but it is failing to charge. Tried on the laptop and it says usb connected. Again no charge.

I have stored the battery away and wanted to top up power in screen.

Any ideas?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it will not charge unless it is on the bike usb wont work its just for data and power output for charging phones.

you are best off getting purion and selling it.

Xdrive

Pedelecer
Dec 26, 2016
West yorkshire
the previous posts indicate the battery in the intuvia head unit can be charged using micro usb charge from laptop or wall.

I was advised from the place i bought my bike that the intuvia is better as it can be removed from the bike and disable the battery making it securer than purion. Also the screen size on purion is smaller.

What are the benefits of purion unit over intuvia?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
well if you plug in the usb it will connect just you have no way of knowing the batt is charging as there is no display for that.

the only way to be sure is to take it apart and test the voltage off the batt with a multi meter to see if it is charging or not.

Carlbiker

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2020
Hi Guys,

The Intuvia display is recharged all the time you have the system switched on. There is no voltage when the system is turned off.

You can manually recharge the internal cell if the bike has not been used in a while by plugging it into a power source (PC, Laptop, TV etc) using a micro USB cable.

You can also pull power from the system to charge 3rd party devices (whilst riding) using one of my cables here - https://www.e-bikeshop.co.uk/eBike-Spare-Parts/bosch-usb-converter

Regards
Martin
Looks useful I’ve just had a Kiox display but seen some deals on the Bosch Nyon, do you think it’s better to go for the Nyon if there was only £50 in It?