Bosch Lighting Connection Whereabouts?

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
Can anyone tell me where the 6v output for lighting connection is on the latest Bosch system.

Says in the manual that there is one and also the button on the so called human interface suggests that the output/s can be switched on.

I have looked in the obvious places but cannot see it.

Last edited:

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
Srs,

There are connectors tucked away in the frame, a front and rear light cable has to be bought separately..
It's not just a case of plugging them in, the human interface has to be programmed to take the lights.

I should be able to do this when I receive my 2013 diagnostics kit from Germany.

If you are after the cables just let me know.

Regards

Martin

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
Srs,

There are connectors tucked away in the frame, a front and rear light cable has to be bought separately..
It's not just a case of plugging them in, the human interface has to be programmed to take the lights.

I should be able to do this when I receive my 2013 diagnostics kit from Germany.

If you are after the cables just let me know.

Regards

Martin
Thanks, well how foolish of me to think that there would be a an accessible socket. Plug in the lights and switch them on.

Most intersted in the cables. I have a KTM Macina 29, assume I should be able to find the hidden wires?

I thinks you are only about 50 mile away. I am in Brighton most of the time.

I'll Pm you with email address and hopefully you we can sort something out

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Another option would be to fit front dynamo lighting, which is what a lot of makers of bikes with the Bosch drive do.

An advantage there is the lights run on standard voltage, so no problem with bulbs.

Another option is to use battery lights.

A mate of mine has commuted on an ordinary bike for years, he reckons the battery lights are now so good there's no point in pratting around with hard-wired ones.

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
Another option would be to fit front dynamo lighting, which is what a lot of makers of bikes with the Bosch drive do.

An advantage there is the lights run on standard voltage, so no problem with bulbs.

A mate of mine has commuted on an ordinary bike for years, he reckons the battery lights are now so good there's no point in pratting around with hard-wired ones.
Hi Rob,

Yes all of these can be used.
But if you had everything in place to run lights off the battery all built in so you could turn them on and off with the HID, I think this has got to be the best/stealthiest option.

I think if a features there to be used; you may as well take advantage of it :)

Regards
Martin

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast

Not so keen on dynamo lighting.

Currently using a couple of rear led unit. Front LED lamp run off remote Lion battery.

I'll have to get soldering with some regulators in order to end up with the required voltage but these are only pennies from RS or Maplins.

Just trying to cut down on the number of chargers in my life.

I'll get the lighting cables from Martin and report on my installation.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Just trying to cut down on the number of chargers in my life.

That I can understand.

My Lezyne light charges only from USB.

Easy to fit on different bikes which will be handy when I finally get a big wheel ebike to go with the Brommie.

If I get a Bosch one, I suppose I could charge the light 'on the go' from the USB outlet on the control switch.

Except I won't be because to expose the socket on the light you have to take the rear cap off which exposes some of the circuitry.

Lezyne Macro Drive 300L Front Light | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
That I can understand.

My Lezyne light charges only from USB.

Easy to fit on different bikes which will be handy when I finally get a big wheel ebike to go with the Brommie.

If I get a Bosch one, I suppose I could charge the light 'on the go' from the USB outlet on the control switch.

Except I won't be because to expose the socket on the light you have to take the rear cap off which exposes some of the circuitry.

Lezyne Macro Drive 300L Front Light | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com
That is a nice looking light. I think charging or powering any light from the bosch usb port would be fine until it rains.

I shall get the bosch lighting cables. One option may be to fit a 5v regulator to the front one and then a waterproof usb socket. I'll give it some thought and post my final solution.

At end of the day, I must be a bit bored as summer is coming and not be long before I won't need lights. Just lke fiddling, I guess.

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
Ian,

Just to let you know the bits we ordered are on their way over from Germany as we speak.
I will let you know when the cables and your spare charger arrive.

In the meantime I have been putting together instructions for my dongles.
This includes a picture that you may find interesting.

Here in the picture are where the lighting cables connect..
They are 'blanked' as standard. I have highlighted them in yellow.
(This is what you see in the motor after removing the right hand case)

Light connectors.jpg

Regards
Martin

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
Ian,

Just to let you know the bits we ordered are on their way over from Germany as we speak.
I will let you know when the cables and your spare charger arrive.

In the meantime I have been putting together instructions for my dongles.
This includes a picture that you may find interesting.

Here in the picture are where the lighting cables connect..
They are 'blanked' as standard. I have highlighted them in yellow.
(This is what you see in the motor after removing the right hand case)

View attachment 5246

Regards
Martin
Martin, thanks. Give me a shout when they arrive. I shall be down in your neck of the woods working shortly.

HypnoToad

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 13, 2012
Thanks for posting up the pic of where the lights connect.

Do you know which is connector is for the front, and which is for the rear? Thanks