Bosch made the VW emission cheating dongle.

eHomer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2012
That's a tricky decision....

All the other manufacturers that were possibly struggling to achieve the same performance and consumption without going up in the VED bands must be miffed at that.

I wonder what the Yanks will do....

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
The UK government now seem to have indemnified against VED loss, saying these cars will remain in their current band, apparently without requiring proof of conversion.
I hope that this is true, because I quite like the idea of a 150 hp (I suspect this figure is a fiddle too) car in a £30/year tax banding. That was the main reason I bought it.

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk
The newspaper is also reporting that it has seen a letter in which VW supplier Bosch warned the VW Group in 2007 that the software was illegal for road use, and highlighting that it was only being made available for test purposes.
Warned them whilst making hundreds of thousands of them for test purposes? Sounds fishy to me..

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Warned them whilst making hundreds of thousands of them for test purposes? Sounds fishy to me..
No it is software. They provided a copy and VW loaded copies of it into the on-board computers of all cars they thought might need a helping hand o_O

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
What does the general press know about computers? They are the things you write articles on! You mean they have them in cars too now?

When you go to your garage what does the mechanic do? Plugs into the ECU (car world buzz acronym for "computer"). The software controls the hardware. The press is supposing that the software is hard coded into a chip somewhere but I bet that it is just flashed into an EPROM like all other embarked computing.

Why go to the expense of doing it otherwise? Answer: no we wouldn't, think of the bottom line let's do it the cheap way.

Would Bosch actually want to get their hands dirty and provide hundreds of thousands of chips with compromising software on them? I think the answer is pretty clear on this one, no. We will provide the code and cover our bums with a warning e-mail or letter to protect our shareholders interests.

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk
What does the general press know about computers? They are the things you write articles on! You mean they have them in cars too now?

When you go to your garage what does the mechanic do? Plugs into the ECU (car world buzz acronym for "computer"). The software controls the hardware. The press is supposing that the software is hard coded into a chip somewhere but I bet that it is just flashed into an EPROM like all other embarked computing.

Why go to the expense of doing it otherwise? Answer: no we wouldn't, think of the bottom line let's do it the cheap way.

Would Bosch actually want to get their hands dirty and provide hundreds of thousands of chips with compromising software on them? I think the answer is pretty clear on this one, no. We will provide the code and cover our bums with a warning e-mail or letter to protect our shareholders interests.
I never really thought of Bosch as a software supplier. I think they're clearly stupid in writing something like that in the first place. Why would anyone want software that does that - for test reasons -??

Apparently some of the VW engines will need their injectors changed to meet the emissions they claimed to have. What a mess they made for themselves..

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
They make electronics. To make their hardware work you need software! Different motors can use the same ECU but require different software programs depending on their individual characteristics.

Modern motors in the higher end are mostly "drive by wire" i.e. when you put your foot down a sensor tells the computer to do all that needs to be done to accelerate - there is no mechanical linkage between accelerator and the motor just lots of 0s and 1s.

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk
Modern motors in the higher end are mostly "drive by wire" i.e. when you put your foot down a sensor tells the computer to do all that needs to be done to accelerate - there is no mechanical linkage between accelerator and the motor just lots of 0s and 1s.
I know. I had a hell of a time with my old Volvo C70 T5 crumby Magneti Morelli built FBW throttle body. Changed it twice for no small cost before the car blew itself up. I would have killed for a normal bit of cable then..

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
if I understand the situation correctly, Bosch supply the ECU, programmed to what the customer wants, ie to the a set of specific 'profiles' that the customer has given them. Whilst it's normal to program how the motor should respond according to a set of parameters like speed, steering, throttle variation and desired mpg, the matter of priority between conflicting variables like mpg, responsiveness and emission gases is decided by the client. The cheat is in one of the profiles happens to be close to one that is used in tests. So, who is to blame? the VW guy who specifies the driving profiles because the 'test' profile is also a realistic one? the Bosch software engineer? I suggest to you that the real culprit is the agency that designed the test conditions that make an ideal engine possible.

Last edited:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
It has shaken up the US testing body which is "revising our methods". When there is a test situation companies and individuals alike will do what they can to get the best score. The whole "real world" emissions testing thing is as far from "real world" as it could be.

Anonymous testers hiring cars with a certain mileage on already and running them through emission tests would be closer to real world.

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk
if I understand the situation correctly, Bosch supply the ECU, programmed to what the customer wants, ie to the a set of specific 'profiles' that the customer has given them. Whilst it's normal to program how the motor should respond according to a set of parameters like speed, steering, throttle variation and desired mpg, the matter of priority between conflicting variables like mpg, responsiveness and emission gases is decided by the client. The cheat is in one of the profiles happens to be close to one that is used in tests. So, who is to blame? the VW guy who specifies the driving profiles because the 'test' profile is also a realistic one? the Bosch software engineer? I suggest to you that the real culprit is the agency that designed the test conditions that make an ideal engine possible.
Do people actually specify what ECU map they want and then it's programmed for them before they received their car?

I always remap my turbo charged cars. Not from a boy racers point of view but the experiences I have had from doing this have been favourable. Both in fuel economy and performance

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Nope VW does generic mapping. Smart people like you go an make it even better.

Reactions: SteveRuss

Advertisers