Help! Bosch mode problems

Andrew Cameron

Just Joined
Aug 29, 2020
Just had my wife’s Bosch active line-powered Gazelle in for its first 3 month service. Plugged in to diagnostics, no problems identified. Software updated. Got it back to find the modes have all gone weird! Eco feels like Turbo and Sport offers no assistance whatsoever. Tour and Turbo seem ok. Anyone had this problem? Frustratingly it’s a 92 mile round trip back to the dealer. Hoping my local Bosch-stocking bike shop can plug it in and tick a few boxes to fix it.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Really irritating. It will be interesting to see what your local shop offers.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Really irritating. It will be interesting to see what your local shop offers.
Thats putting it a bit too mildly I feel.....But your choice of course.
I myself find that a 92 Mile round trip in a car to transport the said bike, combined with probably burning petrol or diesel (guessing only, maybe he has an electric car!), is worse than being really annoying for any biker, and it does not improve the environment in the slightest, which biking should be all about!
For me personally, this problem is just another nail in the coffin of some, if not all, mid motor bikes.
I am wondering as to just how many more customers will get such "service" with these various bike manufacturers.....Bosch being one of the worst IMHO, with their costly, to the customer, service once the guarantee is gone, "repair" methods!
It does not really matter if say 200 bikes run well, if even only one has awful problems. It should still simply never, ever happen.
All bikes, once the guarantee has run out, bikes from any manufacturer, should be repairable by DIYers and any LBS, with full spares available for everyone, just as most normal and hub bikes are.
Rant over. (Till the next Bosch bike problem reported here on Pedelec at least!)
Andy

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
Just had my wife’s Bosch active line-powered Gazelle in for its first 3 month service. Plugged in to diagnostics, no problems identified. Software updated. Got it back to find the modes have all gone weird! Eco feels like Turbo and Sport offers no assistance whatsoever. Tour and Turbo seem ok. Anyone had this problem? Frustratingly it’s a 92 mile round trip back to the dealer. Hoping my local Bosch-stocking bike shop can plug it in and tick a few boxes to fix it.
There was a similar post on here a while ago from someone with a similar problem.

IIRC there was a suggestion that the dealer might have uploaded the "performance line" software onto the "active line" bike (it might have been the other way round- I can't remember)

Anyway, might be worth checking with the dealer over the phone that this hasn't happened before embarking on your marathon journey.

If it's the dealer's error then it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect them to pay for a courier to collect your bike, repair it and return it to you at no cost to yourself....

Reactions: innate and Gringo

Darren Hayward

Pedelecer
Mar 25, 2015
I agree that the most likely answer is the wrong software installed. That said I do find a few things out of whack here.
Travelling that far for a service? Given the service at that age is pretty basic wouldn't it have cost about the same to pay a local shop to do it? I assume this was a free service if you travelled that far.
But also, a three month old bike needed a software update! Was there a problem with it or was it just an 'impress the customer' update to drum up business?

It might just be I'm more hands on that some riders but I do all my own servicing. The shop only see's my bike if I ride down to pick up a part for it. Well I did let them do the free 6 week check over but it was free and I was down that way anyway.

Darren

Reactions: Andy-Mat

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
I agree that the most likely answer is the wrong software installed. That said I do find a few things out of whack here.
Travelling that far for a service? Given the service at that age is pretty basic wouldn't it have cost about the same to pay a local shop to do it? I assume this was a free service if you travelled that far.
But also, a three month old bike needed a software update! Was there a problem with it or was it just an 'impress the customer' update to drum up business?

It might just be I'm more hands on that some riders but I do all my own servicing. The shop only see's my bike if I ride down to pick up a part for it. Well I did let them do the free 6 week check over but it was free and I was down that way anyway.

Darren
I agree with you completely. Also, having the knowledge and initiative to do at least all the small jobs on an e-bike, is cheap, repairs can even be made on a Sunday, and you know its done right.
regards
Andy

Andrew Cameron

Just Joined
Aug 29, 2020
Thanks for the responses guys: much appreciated. My thoughts were that it was some sort of software cock-up. Presumably my LBS will see if something like this has happened?
Sorry to hear this about mid-motored Bosch bikes: I thought I’d done my research !

Darren
Thanks Darren. We had an issue with the gears, so we hadn’t gone all that way just for a service. Plus it was a nice place to have a wander round for a couple of hours. Not so nice I’d want to back on a weekly basis, mind. So yes, will do the maths before making any further trips.

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
Sorry to hear this about mid-motored Bosch bikes: I thought I’d done my research !
There can be problems with all types of motors, I have done 1000s of miles on bikes with Bosch motors and had no problems, The problems I have had have been with hub motors, mainly the Carrera Crossfire.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
There can be problems with all types of motors, I have done 1000s of miles on bikes with Bosch motors and had no problems, The problems I have had have been with hub motors, mainly the Carrera Crossfire.
Of course there can be problems with any motor type, but don't forget, an average bike DIYer can repair or replace a problematic hub motor, even replacing the whole wheel and motor is fairly easy. But for example, Bosch will not even sell a private person motor spare parts, or even a motor. You are completely stymied!
The Bosch motor has to be replaced by a licensed Bosch LBS, and as has been reliably reported here, an exchange motor costs around 800 UK Pounds from Bosch!
A few quid more and you can buy a brand new hub motor bike, complete! Mine was around 930 Pounds, including two batteries, import duties and delivery costs.....Nothing fancy, but very reliable!!
Then with the Bosch motors/bikes, you have the problems with the CAN- Bus, which for every slight hiccough, can shut down all battery power and make even buying good, secondhand spare parts, impossible to use, because the Bosch controller via the CAN-Bus, will not recognise a different Bosch battery for instance....
One has to compare horses with courses......and mention all the plus and minus points. I do and I try to be both completely truthfull and fair.
And we should never forget that the stressed chains on mid motor bikes have a far shorter life, even when carefully maintained, in comparison to a hub bike's chain.....in spite of the many protests here on Pedelec from mid motor fans, but it is a simple fact of life, no matter what they say.
Simple physics.
I also dislike the fact that Bosch use plastic covers of the very cheapest quality, and all Bosch motor parts are made in the far east, just like my cheapo bike, maybe even in the same factory, but one look at the prices new of Bosch motorised bikes, does take one's breath away....
Rant over.
Andy

Muddyfox

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2018
Nottingham
Thanks for the responses guys: much appreciated. My thoughts were that it was some sort of software cock-up. Presumably my LBS will see if something like this has happened?

Thanks Darren. We had an issue with the gears, so we hadn’t gone all that way just for a service. Plus it was a nice place to have a wander round for a couple of hours. Not so nice I’d want to back on a weekly basis, mind. So yes, will do the maths before making any further trips.
Certain members on this forum have very, very negative thoughts towards anything mid motored regardless of the manufacturer. You have done your research and arrived at your decision. Your research would or could not include someone making a possible software update mistake.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
There was a similar post on here a while ago from someone with a similar problem.

IIRC there was a suggestion that the dealer might have uploaded the "performance line" software onto the "active line" bike (it might have been the other way round- I can't remember)

Anyway, might be worth checking with the dealer over the phone that this hasn't happened before embarking on your marathon journey.

If it's the dealer's error then it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect them to pay for a courier to collect your bike, repair it and return it to you at no cost to yourself....
Of course there can be problems with any motor type, but don't forget, an average bike DIYer can repair or replace a problematic hub motor, even replacing the whole wheel and motor is fairly easy. But for example, Bosch will not even sell a private person motor spare parts, or even a motor. You are completely stymied!
The Bosch motor has to be replaced by a licensed Bosch LBS, and as has been reliably reported here, an exchange motor costs around 800 UK Pounds from Bosch!
A few quid more and you can buy a brand new hub motor bike, complete! Mine was around 930 Pounds, including two batteries, import duties and delivery costs.....Nothing fancy, but very reliable!!
Then with the Bosch motors/bikes, you have the problems with the CAN- Bus, which for every slight hiccough, can shut down all battery power and make even buying good, secondhand spare parts, impossible to use, because the Bosch controller via the CAN-Bus, will not recognise a different Bosch battery for instance....
One has to compare horses with courses......and mention all the plus and minus points. I do and I try to be both completely truthfull and fair.
And we should never forget that the stressed chains on mid motor bikes have a far shorter life, even when carefully maintained, in comparison to a hub bike's chain.....in spite of the many protests here on Pedelec from mid motor fans, but it is a simple fact of life, no matter what they say.
Simple physics.
I also dislike the fact that Bosch use plastic covers of the very cheapest quality, and all Bosch motor parts are made in the far east, just like my cheapo bike, maybe even in the same factory, but one look at the prices new of Bosch motorised bikes, does take one's breath away....
Rant over.
Andy
Andy ..yours was a rant... At least you have the grace to say that. The other suggestion that the incorrect version of software was loaded by the dealer seems plausible to me. There are now a few generations of Bosch motors some with small drive cogs and some with normal.
I am now at 3650km on my Bosch and the only maintenance required was a minor adjustment of the brakes. Tyres and tubes were replaced, because I wanted Schrader. The chain is in fine condition, perhaps because it is one specified for mid drives.
The only Bosch related problem I had was when the bolts for the carrier failed and jerked the cable from the battery loose.. This required a very tedious repair.as there was no spare length.
Since my purchase a few years ago, I last year got a rear motor Bafang for my wife. The riding experience is very much different. On the mid motor, the effect is bionic legs . On the rear motor it is as if there was a stiff tail breeze. The cost difference allows one get a rear motor machine with a bigger battery, to make up for the inevitable poorer efficiency.. like its physics .
A journey to the main dealer for will cost Andrew about 2 gallons of fuel or 6 quid. ..not a big deal.

Reactions: Amoto65

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Andy ..yours was a rant... At least you have the grace to say that. The other suggestion that the incorrect version of software was loaded by the dealer seems plausible to me. There are now a few generations of Bosch motors some with small drive cogs and some with normal.
I am now at 3650km on my Bosch and the only maintenance required was a minor adjustment of the brakes. Tyres and tubes were replaced, because I wanted Schrader. The chain is in fine condition, perhaps because it is one specified for mid drives.
The only Bosch related problem I had was when the bolts for the carrier failed and jerked the cable from the battery loose.. This required a very tedious repair.as there was no spare length.
Since my purchase a few years ago, I last year got a rear motor Bafang for my wife. The riding experience is very much different. On the mid motor, the effect is bionic legs . On the rear motor it is as if there was a stiff tail breeze. The cost difference allows one get a rear motor machine with a bigger battery, to make up for the inevitable poorer efficiency.. like its physics .
A journey to the main dealer for will cost Andrew about 2 gallons of fuel or 6 quid. ..not a big deal.
I feel that the aggravation of the 92 miles, having just done it, speaks for itself, and he was obviously "P...d off big time. You telling us all that it was nothing, basically will not make him happier....
But I am sure he will tell us himself.
Thats a really good mileage for a mid motored bike, I have to admit! I wonder just how much farther it will go before expensive problems start..... The hills where I live (some Brits might call them mountains!), put a lot of stress on bike and rider, especially one nearing 74!
But why did you not also comment on the average price of Bosch motored bikes, the pricing and policies after the guarantee has run out (2 years at a guess!), and a price comparison with an average priced hub motor?

On my first e-bike, very basic model with no display, I had to add Tacho and mileage recorder, rear hub, bought secondhand (just under 200 Pounds), I racked up about 18,000 miles in about 7 years, one (or possibly two) chain(s) with little maintenance, except synthetic motor oil, many tyres and tubes (basically each year a new set), and one gear cluster.
Battery and motor were still good when I gave it away in 2017.....I never had to touch the motor for anything, just a well made, cheap, standard hub motor...
You have a lot of catching up to do! Only another 14,000 miles or so!!
Keep us informed please?
Andy

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
2 or 3 wasted hours is already a big deal without the cost. Driving costs are usually estimated at around 40p per additional mile; so around £36.

Reactions: Andy-Mat

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
2 or 3 wasted hours is already a big deal without the cost. Driving costs are usually estimated at around 40p per additional mile; so around £36.
Taking into account ALL the costs, which is fully correct. Many thanks for reminding us all of that! :) :)
The time factor would annoy me greatly too!
regards
Andy

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I feel that the aggravation of the 92 miles, having just done it, speaks for itself, and he was obviously "P...d off big time. You telling us all that it was nothing, basically will not make him happier....
Thats a really good mileage for a mid motored bike, I have to admit! I wonder just how much farther it will go before expensive problems start..... The hills where I live (some Brits might call them mountains!), put a lot of stress on bike and rider, especially one nearing 74!
But why did you not also comment on the average price of Bosch motored bikes, the pricing and policies after the guarantee has run out (2 years at a guess!), and a price comparison with an average priced hub motor?

On my first e-bike, very basic model with no display, I had to add Tacho and mileage recorder, rear hub, bought secondhand (just under 200 Pounds), I racked up about 18,000 miles in about 7 years, one (or possibly two) chain(s) with little maintenance, except synthetic motor oil, many tyres and tubes (basically each year a new set), and one gear cluster.
Battery and motor were still good when I gave it away in 2017.....I never had to touch the motor for anything, just a well made, cheap, standard hub motor...
Keep us informed please?
Andy
I have bought 3 E bikes to date.
In 2007 an urban mover with nimh pack ,which lasted me until retirement. In 2014 . It was rear hub and is still operational ... although now seriously needs a new battery pack.I did reconfigure it to 28V Li ion about 2010.. I had the rear wheel rebuilt as the spokes were failing and I had the chain replaced and the dereillieur replaced. That was my standard transport to work for 7 years. Typically 8 miles round trip each day. It paid for itself in car parking fees foregone. It cost about 1000 euro back then. And yes the motor and electronics are still the original.

In 2016 ,A Bosch mid motored bike , and in the 4 years since it is in in fine condition. Bosch only sell their systems to reputable manufacturers, so all the parts are good. it cost 1600 stl. I do not anticipate any problems except battery replacement . I see the Bosch as fitting into the same niche as the Apple tradition of computing . No nonsense , premium quality, at higher price for people who cannot be bothered dicking around,but want a no fuss appliance
In 2019 A Forme rear motor bike ,Bafang ... At 1400 euro. The mid motored version was 1800 euro Absolutely no problems with this one yet.

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
Thats a really good mileage for a mid motored bike, I have to admit! I wonder just how much farther it will go before expensive problems start..... The hills where I live (some Brits might call them mountains!)
2500 miles on my Carrera Crossfuse with Bosch Activeline Plus motor around the Peak District including plenty of climbs at 12/14% bike cost £1150 from Halfords new and still going strong, I reckon that is easily comparable to a hub motor, and just for information that was done in 18 months at the age of 63 recovering from a heart attack and 4 stents .

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
And just to balance the scales, I did 2400 miles the year before on a Wisper 905se costing about the same which was a hub motor without any problems, the only difference being, it was not as capable going up steep hills. So the moral of the story is that both types of motors are capable and reliable but like everything else in life sometimes you get a dud.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
I have bought 3 E bikes to date.
In 2007 an urban mover with nimh pack ,which lasted me until retirement. In 2014 . It was rear hub and is still operational ... although now seriously needs a new battery pack.I did reconfigure it to 28V Li ion about 2010.. I had the rear wheel rebuilt as the spokes were failing and I had the chain replaced and the dereillieur replaced. That was my standard transport to work for 7 years. Typically 8 miles round trip each day. It paid for itself in car parking fees foregone. It cost about 1000 euro back then. And yes the motor and electronics are still the original.

In 2016 ,A Bosch mid motored bike , and in the 4 years since it is in in fine condition. Bosch only sell their systems to reputable manufacturers, so all the parts are good. it cost 1600 stl. I do not anticipate any problems except battery replacement . I see the Bosch as fitting into the same niche as the Apple tradition of computing . No nonsense , premium quality, at higher price for people who cannot be bothered dicking around,but want a no fuss appliance
In 2019 A Forme rear motor bike ,Bafang ... At 1400 euro. The mid motored version was 1800 euro Absolutely no problems with this one yet.
If you are using all these bikes, the load/working, is shared between steeds. Most people only have one! Which must do everything.
Quite a different type of usage.....
Andy

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs

Keep us informed please?
Andy
I managed 14,5000 mile without any problems on my Bosch motored Delite with new chain and cogs at 9,500 miles.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
If you are using all these bikes, the load/working, is shared between steeds. Most people only have one! Which must do everything.
Quite a different type of usage.....
Andy
No... The Forme is my wife's .. her birthday present for last year She is delighted with it ...and with me as a bonus.
The urban mover UM is now moved into semi retirement, and is in a holiday home. My question to myself has to be whether it is worth getting a new battery pack at 250 quid for a 200watt motor job, or a cheap modern 250 watt 36 volt bike at 600 quid in any French supermarket, with new tyres and better range. The battery on the UM is good enough to handle the steep hill out of the village when going for the bread and patisserie, but a 8 km range is rather low.
The Raleigh Motus is the current workhorse.. 20 to 40 km trips minor shopping and touring.

Last edited: