Bosch motor help advice

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
id still keep riding it just dont go to far as all the dealer can do is remove the motor and send it to bosch for replacement.

Reactions: DALERST

DALERST

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 28, 2020
I pretty much said the same thing, he then started waffling on about putting it on the diagnostic and sending the results off to bosch!

I hope i dont have a battle on my hands with them, spending that sort of money on a bike im hoping its just a quick motor replacement under warranty.

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
Personally I would ride it, if it breaks then it is still under warranty. But that is me, I am afraid you will have to decide for yourself, either way good luck and keep us informed.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
problem is if it is say a cir clip or something else it wont show up in the software same as you not getting error codes.

even tho it could be a £3 part like a bearing needs replacing dealers cant open the motor so the only option is a replacement motor from bosch as not allowed to keep motors in stock for warranty replacements.

DALERST

May 28, 2020
problem is if it is say a cir clip or something else it wont show up in the software same as you not getting error codes.

even tho it could be a £3 part like a bearing needs replacing dealers cant open the motor so the only option is a replacement motor from bosch as not allowed to keep motors in stock for warranty replacements.

Yes thats what i cant understand, putting it on a computer diagnostic want do anything. They may as well just get a new motor on order to save time and hassle, unless bosch will strip it down to chech before sending a new one out?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Bosch I think won't send a replacement until they have received the old unit.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the dealer cant ask for a replacement to be sent unless it is logged in to the system first and then sent back so if that happens will take a couple of weeks to get the bike back with a new motor fitted.

id just keep riding it until you can get it back to the dealer to sort out ;)

DALERST

May 28, 2020
the dealer cant ask for a replacement to be sent unless it is logged in to the system first and then sent back so if that happens will take a couple of weeks to get the bike back with a new motor fitted.

id just keep riding it until you can get it back to the dealer to sort out ;)
Thats my plan, ive started using it to get to work on occasion and intend to continue, my small concern, its a 20 mile round trip so just hoping it wont fail one day whilst on my way.

If it does then ill have a long push

When i called my local shop to book it in yesterday they did inform me that another one of thire local ish branches is opening monday first thing without any workshop booking, so I'm going to call them and get it in asap.

Last edited:
Reactions: darren66

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
I'm just wondering what gears you have? If you have hub gears you can get that effect from the hub.

DALERST

May 28, 2020
I'm just wondering what gears you have? If you have hub gears you can get that effect from the hub.
I do have hub gears, but its definitely coming from the motor side and not the rear gears. It generally happens mid ride when i increase the pressure on the motor without changing gear.

Without the motor assistance on i can feel something not quite as it was a few months ago, a slight grinding on the crank.

• Informative
Reactions: Artstu

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
I do have hub gears, but its definitely coming from the motor side and not the rear gears. It generally happens mid ride when i increase the pressure on the motor without changing gear.
Mine does it sometimes and sounds like it is at the front, I've also had my chain tensioner loosening and then skipping teeth on the rear sprocket with high pedal pressures, but I imagine yours is running without a tensioner so unlikely to be that.

DALERST

May 28, 2020
Mine does it sometimes and sounds like it is at the front, I've also had my chain tensioner loosening and then skipping teeth on the rear sprocket with high pedal pressures, but I imagine yours is running without a tensioner so unlikely to be that.
Interesting! I dont have a chain tensioner but didn't think it could be the rear gears. Is there an easy way to check this?

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Interesting! I dont have a chain tensioner but didn't think it could be the rear gears. Is there an easy way to check this?
Not really, mine will clunk if I've missed a sweet gear-change shortly after, so it'll seem fine for a short while then after a brief ease on pedal pressure then getting back on it it'll clunk. but if you're getting it after not changing gear for quite some time it's unlikely.
However do check the two lines line up in the little window in 4th gear to make sure your gear cable is set correctly too, that could cause it to clunk.

DALERST

May 28, 2020
Not really, mine will clunk if I've missed a sweet gear-change shortly after, so it'll seem fine for a short while then after a brief ease on pedal pressure then getting back on it it'll clunk. but if you're getting it after not changing gear for quite some time it's unlikely.
However do check the two lines line up in the little window in 4th gear to make sure your gear cable is set correctly too, that could cause it to clunk.
Thanks i will have a Google of what you mean, im new to all this not not up to speed on servicing gears etc on bikes.

DALERST

May 28, 2020
Just an update, after waiting 5 weeks to get it in the shop, they have decided its a warranty issue and noe i could be waiting up to another 5 weeks for bosch to check it and send a replacement.

As suspected the dealer cant open the motor and have said it could be something as simple as a clip come loose.

• Informative

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Thanks for reply, it is low mileage but has always been used throughout the year albeit only for a few miles at a time. Since lockdown its had much more hard use which is when the problem started coming to light.

I have contacted the dealer today and i now have to wait till mid July to grt it looked at, thats the earliest they can do the recommend not using it as well. Guess that my fun over for 6 weeks or more.
I had a similar problem, I thought it was because of the hot weather as it stopped on a cool day. It was because someone at R&M had greased a part they shouldn't have causing the 'cog' to come loose on the crank. This is a carbon belt drive so might be something completely different as someone used to say.

Old Fart At Play

Pedelecer
Jun 11, 2020
Just an update, after waiting 5 weeks to get it in the shop, they have decided its a warranty issue and noe i could be waiting up to another 5 weeks for bosch to check it and send a replacement.

As suspected the dealer cant open the motor and have said it could be something as simple as a clip come loose.
That's a shame. I had a problem with my new bosch cx motor, took it to the bike shop where I bought it, Bosch sent a new motor straight out and I had the bike back within a week. Maybe I was just lucky! Whatever the pain of waiting, it will be great to get it back with the problem gone, rather than having the problem bug you.
Cheers, John

DALERST

May 28, 2020
That's a shame. I had a problem with my new bosch cx motor, took it to the bike shop where I bought it, Bosch sent a new motor straight out and I had the bike back within a week. Maybe I was just lucky! Whatever the pain of waiting, it will be great to get it back with the problem gone, rather than having the problem bug you.
Cheers, John
Under normal circumstance they say 7 to 14 day for a replacement, but due to the fact the factory and Bosch are running as per the rest of the world the have said it will be a prolonged wait unfortunately.

Crossroads

Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2017
Under normal circumstance they say 7 to 14 day for a replacement, but due to the fact the factory and Bosch are running as per the rest of the world the have said it will be a prolonged wait unfortunately.
I've just had my Bosch motor exchanged under warranty (noisy) at 18 months and 1,800 miles - This took only two weeks.